i'd like to give thanks歌词 for grandpa coming to live with us 为什么grandpa后面接coming而不是come

<: Live Online
& & & & & & & Web Search:
The Flight Crew: Standing, from left: Andrea Sachs, Cindy Loose, Carol Sottili, Steve Hendrix. Seated in front: K.C. Summers, John Deiner.
(Craig Cola/WPNI)
-- customized news, traffic, weather and more
Talk About Travel Hosted by the Flight Crew
Monday, April 8, 2002; 2 p.m. EDT
While some things have returned to normal, there remains great uncertainty in the travel industry.
Whether you have logistical questions, general observations, or first-hand travel stories to share, the staff of the Travel section invites you to submit your questions and comments in this forum.
The transcript follows.
Editor's Note:
moderators retain editorial control over Live Online discussions and choose the most relevant questions
guests and hosts can decline to answer questions.
The Flight Crew: Gary Lee, your acting flight captain at your service here. Many of us have just blown in town from the road, giving a whole round of fresh perspectives on various far flung corners of the globe. Cindy Loose, feature writer for the section, was just in frosty Iceland, followed quickly by a foray to Pigeon Forge, Tenneeee. Steve Hendrix, who edits the Escapes page for the section, was just down South, namely Raleigh, N.C. and someplace in Alabama I never heard of. Q & A columnist Carol Sottili, who is celebrating a BIG DAY today, is just back from a Colorado skiing trip. Editor KC Summers is still basking in the wake of her last month tour through Thailand. And Assistant Editor John Deiner, following a bang-up trip to Turkey, was just down in Hampton Roads, Va. Elissa Leibowitz was in Hawaii, following by a long working trip to Utah. Now she's dreaming about Spain. Andrea Sachs, reports that she is fresh back from Silver Spring and is raring to go for a trip to Cabos, Mexico later this week. Yours truly just spent a fascinating time in downtown New York City, scoping out the mood post September 11.
Feel free to ask us about these or any other destinations or to offer tips or anecdotes of your own. By the way, now that spring has sprung, a season when many of us think about transAtlantic vacations, I wonder whether any of you have a favorite hotel on the Continent of Europe or England. For the one of you who can offer the brightest most succinct favorite European hotel stories, I have a wonderful prize -- an Elvis clock with legs that actually rock around the clock.
Washington, D.C.:
Please help. I am thinking of going to Puerto Rico the week before Memorial Day weekend and am debating searching for a package deal or trying to do book everything separately through priceline, hotwire, expedia. Which approach would you advise? The Flight Crew: KC here. Definitely check out packages. In fact, take a look at the special section we put out a few weeks ago on Caribbean packages ("5 Easy Packages," Feb. 24). We tested out five package deals, booking trips to various islands via Internet, travel agent, last-minute site, tourism office and airline, and a lot of us found some pretty good bargains. It's been my experience that packages are generally cheaper than putting a trip together yourself.
On the other hand, one of the things we learned when putting our special section together was to watch out for hidden charges, and incredible "deals" that are suddenly not available. Good luck -- let us know how you fare.
To the travel uber-minds,
I'd like to go on tours of creameries/dairies/cheesemaking places in Vermont. Places like Cabot, for example, but also the smaller, rarer producers. It could be a long weekend getaway at any time, but I was wondering: do you know how I'd find these places and plan a tour?
Do you know of any organized tours of Vermont farms/dairies?
Any chatters know of anything?
Thanks for reading this, I'd love to get your input.
P.S. How long is the drive to Vermont from D.C.? The Flight Crew: There is a consortium of Vermont cheesemakers, most of whom offer tours, free samples etc, reports Gary Lee. Seeing them makes for a wonderful tour of the state. Check out the website
for details.
Fairfax, Va.:
Good afternoon Crew.
I have a question about traveling with 9-month-old (he will be on my lap). Flying to Minnesota next month and just wondered if you had tips or suggestions. Also, what about bringing car seat and stroller?
Thanks The Flight Crew: Ideally your son would have his own seat, so you could strap him into his car seat, and you'd have a helper along. But things aren't always ideal, so here's a couple thoughts: Give him a bottle, or whatever you normally use to feed him liquids, during take off and landing. That helps him equalize air pressure so he doesn't scream from ear pain. Bring lots of cookies and snacks to quiet
eating also helps with the air pressure issue. Bring a favorite toy, and even better, break out a new toy for the first time when his patience is waning. If you are traveling alone, I hope you have or can borrow a car seat that snaps into a pair of stroller wheels. Since you haven't bought him a ticket you can't bring the car seat on board. However, airlines allow you to push a stroller down the gangway right to the door of the airplane, they stash it in cargo and have it ready for you when you get back off. However, it would be tough for you and them to handle both a stroller and a car seat, and you'll be needing the car seat once you get to your destination, even if you are taking a cab.
Finally, watch out for people who smile and coo at your baby. They are the ones you can call on if you desperately need help at some point. Good luck, it should be fine. (Cindy).
Please help&#33 Flying on United on Monday. Can my fiance bring his electric razor in his carry-on? I hate to check it, for fear it'll get stolen. The Flight Crew: Hi, Va.
You can definitely pack an electric razor in your carry-on...I've done it myself on several occassions.
Arlington, Va.:
My friends and I have booked a summer cruise on Carnival's Paradise -- the only non-smoking ship. Have you heard any comments about this cruise? We are thrilled to be able to cruise smoke-free&#33 The Flight Crew: We don't have any personal experience on Paradise, but it gets our Clean Air Award for being smoke-free (all the better to breathe in the tropic air). Do, however, check some of the cruise critic sites, like
and , where passengers or travel writers post comments on specific ships Just be sure the site is not a mouthpiece for the industry, or else you will only hear how fab the boat was. --Andrea
Silver Spring, Md.:
Crew - please help&#33; I recently found out that a very large conference is being held in Barcelona the very week in July when I was planning to spend part of my honeymoon. Hotel rooms are scarce. Is there any resort town nearby (within an hour or so) where we could relax by the mediterranean and soak up the Spanish culture for a few days and take day trips into the city? Or do you recommend the Ballereaic Islands for fun? Thanks for any advice you can provide&#33;
The Flight Crew: There are some lovely provincal towns outside Barcelona that would make nice alternatives to the city. Three on the top of my mind are Girona, Lleida and Tarragona--all charming, quaint and very north Spanish. If it were me, I'd go to Girona, which is a medieval walled town with a magnificent cathedral and not many tourists. It is inland, so you're not on the beach per se. For that, you might go to Figueres or another of the Costa Brava resort towns. However, you'll find loads of tourists in July and pricey rooms. Same for the Ballearics, which is a pleasant ferry ride from Barca.
I have trouble believing that all of Barcelona's hotel rooms would be completely booked for that conference. A solid travel agent should be able to find you something.
Washington, D.C.:
I'd have to say the nicest hotel, I've ever stayed in is the Sacher in Vienna. The suite we stayed in had original oil paintings, Antique furniture, and incredibly ornate woodworking around the walls. It's at the end of the Karnerstrasse and right behind the opera, and of course all who stay get an orginal sacher torte. The Flight Crew: Thanks for that note says Gary. I love the Sacher, too, especially the very attentive service and the unforgettable torts&#33
Rockville, Md.:
Travel Crew -- I am desperately seeking your valued opinion. Our anniversary is coming up soon (two weeks) and we would like to get out of town for some R&R -- but uncertain where to go. Please share any suggestions -- perhaps a resort or something within a few hours drive.
Thanks so much&#33 The Flight Crew: Rockville, It's such a general question that it's hard to know quite where to begin, says Gary. Any clickers have thoughts for nearby destinations worthy of an anniversary celebration?
Bethesda, Md.:
I am going on a four-day cruise in July out of Port Caniveral to Nassau and would like to swim with the dolphins. Is there a place you recommend? I am not tied to going with the ship's excursions. The Flight Crew: Hi, Beth.
I'm actually anti-swimmin'-with-the-dolphins (and we always get letters from animal groups whenever we mention it in our weekly section), but when I was in Nassau several months ago, I saw people visiting the dolphin encounter on Blue Lagoon Island, about a 45-minute ferry ride from Nassau/Paradise Island. Check out
for details.
If you just want to play in water, Blue Lagoon is a nice diversion, but be prepared for possible crowds.
Annandale, Va.:
Good afternoon&#33
I am hoping you can help me. I traveling to the Big Island of Hawaii the end of August for 10 days. I've been shopping for airfare for several months. Before Sept. 11 I could get a round trip for about $750. Now I can't seem to find one that is below $1,100. Is this the going price? Is there anyway I can get a cheaper fare? I was hoping between $900 and $1,000.
Thank you&#33 The Flight Crew: Sottili here: You can save money by booking the flight in segments. The round-trip fare to Kona from Los Angeles is about $638 on Continental. There are frequent $200 round-trip sale fares from BWI to LA. The only problem you'll have is rechecking your bags in LA. And you'll want to leave lots of time to make the connection.
Washington, D.C., Bound for Paris:
Off to Paris the end of this month and am booked now in a small hotel that I am very very unsure of. (The more I research it, the more unsure I get.) Looking for any suggestions of hidden hotel gems in Paris that may be located near the Louvre. A view would be great too. Any suggestions? Looking to spend $150-$200/night.
Merci&#33 The Flight Crew: Hi Wash, KC here. I stayed in a wonderful small hotel in Paris last fall not too far from the Louvre -- just a few minutes' walk across the river. It's the Hotel Verneuil, on a little side street on the Left Bank, near St. Germain des Pres and not too far from the Musee d'Orsay. Tiny rooms, but completely charming and with loads of character. And best of all it was something like $115 for a double. Of course this was in the fall, but still. Info: www.france-.
Anyone else with Paris hotel tips for Wash?
Washington, D.C.:
Should Jewish travelers be wary of visiting Europe, given the recent attacks on synagogues? If travel is necessary, what precautions would you recommend? The Flight Crew: All travelers are urged to stay alert in these troubled times. I must say as I travel with my Jewish daugther and husband, I sometimes wonder if we could be targeted for some special wrath. For that reason I have never seen a reason for them to wear their Jewish Community Center t-shirts while traveling. The odds of encountering serious anti-American hatred that translates into action is very slim to start with, so if American Jews have slightly higher odds, it's good to know that the base odds start out low. If it doesn't offend you to remove items that scream out your religion, like a Star of David or special clothes, do it. Some, of course, would consider that I leave it up to you. (Cindy)
Washington, D.C.:
Hello everyone --
I am a big fan of this forum -- you guys have given me some very good advice in the past, so here I am with another question.
OK -- I have been charged with planning a summer trip (late August) to the Caribbean. I know that hurricanes are always a threat, but we're willing to risk it -- a risk somewhat mitigated by the insurance we'll be purchasing&#33 None of us has been to the Caribbean before, and we would like to go some place either off the beaten path, or at least a good distance from hotel developments. This trip will admittedly not b we won't be exploring that much, and would like quiet place to relax, swim, and maybe play some golf. A rocking night scene would be wasted on us.
Can anyone recommend an island or at least a good source of information so that we can make an educated decision? Thanks a lot. The Flight Crew: DC: I can think of a few islands that might fit your bill, says Gary, starting with my very own favorite Tobago, which is usually too far south to be in the Hurricane zone. But you might alo consider Nevis, Grenada or St. Vincent. Any other thoughts on quiet Caribbean spots out there?
Outer Banks Bound:
I've been to the Outer Banks at least 15 times, but this time my husband and I are branching out away from the Kill Devil Hills/Nags Head area. We've been up north, now this trip we plan to head south and spend time at Hatteras and Ocracoke for 2 days. Among our plans: crabbing and pier fishing for the first time. What are some other "southern beach" activities we shouldn't miss? I can't wait to go&#33; The Flight Crew: Hi,OBB. ANYPLACE in the Outer Banks is okay in my book, but you will definitely be getting away from the sun-dappled masses if you head south. I loved exploring the Cape Hatteras Light and environs, but that's the extent of my knowledge.
What do you say, gang? What can OBB do down in southern OBX?
Arlington, Va.:
I'm eyeing a cheap flight from IAD to Oakland, Calif., in early May on Jet Blue, right after this route begins service. Two questions:
1. How's Jet Blue?
2. Any negatives to flying a route that started just three days prior to your trip?
Thanks, gurus&#33 The Flight Crew: Jet Blue is supposed to be all the rage in air travel, low cost but without clipped wings. It also has a hipster aura, like what Virgin aspired to be. Have you seen their ads recently? The only downside of hopping on a new route might be the crowds, due to the low rate. But you needn't worry about, say, the pilot getting lost. The route is not that spankin' new. ---Andrea
Knoxville, Tenn.:
Glad y'all are getting down south these days to Pigeon Forge and Raleigh&#33 I know you've reported on one of my favorite travel destinations, Asheville, N.C., but have you ever reported on my home town, New Bern, N.C.? Let me put in a plug for back home -- it's a terrific tourist destination, situated at the confluence of two rivers (one is a mile wide) and full of history -- imagine Charleston, S.C. as a town of 20,000. Founded by Swiss Protestants, it has outstanding restored examples of just about every period of American architecture, including a Royal Governor's palace with formal English gardens. Being the second oldest city in North Carolina, and the former colonial and state capitol, it boasts the first "everything" in North Carolina (school, congregration of every denomination, synagogue, newspaper, schools, courts, etc.). Thirty miles from the Atlantic, a major 18th and 19th century port (mentioned in a Jules Verne novel), a golfer/boater/fisher/hunter's paradise. Great BBQ and seafood, and the nicest people anywhere. The annual old homes tour (including gardens). The Flight Crew: Well, there's a good plug. I'll ask my boss to put it on the long list. (Cindy)
Forest Hill, Md.:
A friend and myself are planning to drive to Charleston/Savannah and immerse ourselves in antebellum nostalgia. We are allowing three days in each city and one day each way for driving. Is this enough time to hit the highlights of each place? Is this the best time of year to go there? If not, what would you recommend? Also, any "must sees" "must do" for either city? The Flight Crew: Forest, I hope this answer won't be too one-sided, for I know Savannah very well and Charleston only slightly (Hendrix here). Your overall
it's about 10 hours down I-95 to Sav., and Charleston is about 100 miles north. Three days each should do it (although, Savannah's historic district is much larger and--in my view--there is more to do there and in the surrounding coastal areas). For Savannah, don't miss Bonaventure Cemetary (spare a moment for my dear mother, about 15 "blocks" in from the river), the Telfair Academy museum, lunch at Johnny Harris, dinner at Lady and Sons, lunch at Mrs. Wilkes, dinner at the Pink House, final lunch at Carey Hillard's (best sweet tea in Georgia). Spare an hour (no more) for the tourist ghetto along River Street, and much longer just to wander the squares of the historic district (I love this one old map/print store on Taylor st, V&J Duncan's). Take a drive out to Tybee Island to honor the tidal marsh, the barrier island topography and the tacky charm of Tybee Beach (the Breakfast Club is good), and drive out Skidaway to the Wormsloe Plantation for a good reconstruction of life before reconstruction. In Charleston, the Citadel puts on a good visit, as does Boon Hall plantation. Lot's of good restaurants (including a Carey Hilliards from Savannah&#33). Ft. Sumter is moving if you're a war buff (have to visit w/ a tour, I believe). Have fun&#33
Bowie, Md.:
Been looking at airfares to Cancun in early June and have found them to be astronomical&#33 It's cheaper to fly to Europe than it is to Mexico from the D.C. area&#33 Other areas of the country have a much lower airfare (i.e., Chicago) than any of our three airports. What gives? I'm about to give up my timeshare week this year, I'm so disgusted. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks. The Flight Crew: Sottili here: Try the charter companies that fly to Cancun -
and . I believe they offer air-only options.
Washington, D.C.:
A question about complaining.
I'm still fairly fresh out of school, but I have a terrible travel bug. I am often limited to hotels well below what you often mention here ($35-70/night). I'm always hesitant to complain, since the hotels are cheap so I shouldn't expect much. This past weekend, I spent two nights in a franchise hotel for $50/night. So we check in (to a double room, when my reservation was a king), and within five minutes I am on the phone because the heat fan was making a loud, horrible knocking noise. They won't move me because it booked up, and "sorry, but maintence has gone home for the evening -- do you really need the fan?" They agree to fix in the next day. I called the next morning to remind the day staff, and also tell them we only have two working light bulbs (out of seven). They did not fix those. Housekeeping didn't arrive until after 6 p.m., and then they took our shampoo, didn't leave any more, and only left two towels. Any one or two things I could have lived with, but everything together made for a miserable stay. When I checked out, I mentioned these things very nicely, and they took $10 off my bill. So my question is: Was that an approriate ammount (10 percent off a night)? Should I have expected more? Any advice for next time?
And a tip for cheap travelers: I have found that corporate owned "budget" hotels (Super 8, Motel 6, Comfort Inn, etc.) tend to be much cleaner and better maintained than franshises (Holiday Inn, Days Inn, Ramada, Best Western, etc.) which tend to be much more hit or miss. The Flight Crew: Thanks for the thoughts, says Gary.
Alexandria, Va.:
Will a 12-year-old need ID to fly this summer? The Flight Crew: It is wise for any passenger, regardless of age, to carry some kind of certified ID (birth certificate, soc security card, passport, etc.). Call the carrier to double check. Also, if the child is traveling alone, note new guidelines on youth traveling alone. --Andrea
Local ferry boats:
My family loves ferries -- including the little one at White's Ferry, near Leesburg. What other ferries can you recommend that are within a day's drive of Washington? The Flight Crew: Our favorite is the ferry that takes you from Lewes, Del., to Cape May, N.J. The ride to Lewes from Washington is under three hours, and the ferry ride itself takes 1 hour 10 minutes each way. During the summer, there is transportation available from the Cape May ferry dock into the town, where you can wander among the Victorian home-lined streets, take a walking tour, visit a cute zoo or even hop a bus to Atlantic City. For more info, see
There also are paddle-wheel ferry boats between Norfolk and Portsmouth, Va., which both are history-rich towns in the Hampton Roads area. Info: www.hrtransit.org/
If your family likes ferries, I bet they'd also like a mule-drawn canal boat ride on the Potomac River from Georgetown. For more info call 202-265-5190.
Washington, D.C.:
To the person looking for Barcelona accomodation --
DO NOT GO TO SITGES. It is the type of place you're looking for in that it is a small, costal town near Barcelona but it is HORRIBLE. Accomodation is always tight in Barcelona, but don't take whatever you can find. Most hotels in the suburbs (e.g., Sitges) outside Barcelona are probably substandard because they rely on desperate tourists seeking a roof. Sitges is just such a place, with overpriced, dirty hotels, horrible food, and a creepy night scene. The Flight Crew: If you can't stay in Barcelona, you might as well hit one of the oceanside towns. I agree -- no sense staying in Spanish suburban hell like Sitges&#33
Ashburn, Va. -- re: traveling with baby:
If you are traveling by yourself with the 9-month-old, I suggest you check-in your stroller at the gate and rent a car with a car seat.
If traveling with a companion, you can check-in the car seat with luggage, check-in stroller at the gate. The Flight Crew: Thanks.
For the parent of the traveling 9-month-old:
Bring wipes and Ziploc bags&#33 You'll use the wipes all the time. Don't attempt to drag your large diaper bag into the tiny lavatories to change your son's diaper -- instead, at your seat, put a clean diaper, a ziploc, wipes, diaper cream (if needed) and change pad into a small bag (like a plastic Gap bag), and use that instead. Much easier.
Also, try to check in early. You might get very lucky and get a seat. Friends of mine have done this with success. (We've always bought a seat, but we're usually going long distances -- California or down under.)
Bring a blanket for baby, too. It could be a bit cold, and you might want baby to have his own (clean) blanket.
Finally, a pacifier works just as well as a bottle for popping the ears. The Flight Crew: Thanks. (Cindy)
Springfield, Va.:
Every year, my relatives gather for a week-long reunion in mid-August -- alternating between east coast and west coast destinations to make it fair for all participants. This year, we are looking for a five-bedroom rental in either Las Vegas or San Diego. Do you know of any reliable companies that provide this type of rental? Our budget for the house is approximately $3,000 a week. We prefer a location that is convenient to major attractions and a home that has a pool. The Flight Crew: Sottili here: My favorite site is
- you rent from the owners. I've used it a couple of times and have had good experiences.
For Paris Bound....:
Two great hotels in Paris...both in the Sixth Arrondisement (near St Germain). One is Hotel Buci Latin. The other is Hotel des Marroniers (not sure on spelling). Staying in the 6th is wonderful b/c you can be close to the excitement of the Latin Quarter without having to go to sleep with it outside the window. Also St. Germain itself is just wonderful, with a market and some great cafes (inc. the very famous Les Deux Maggots). Definately check these places out. Can I get in on the favorite European hotel contest with this?
The Flight Crew: Paris bound, thanks, says Gary. You're in on the competition&#33
Washington, D.C. to Vermont:
I drove from Alexandria to Newport, Vt. (two miles south of Canada). It was 12 hours. That would make for a very long weekend. Stopping halfway up the state would only save about an hour or two. I did, however, go slightly out of my way to avoid driving through New York City.
I didn't make it to Cabot (I had to cut my trip short), but I did go to Maple Grove Farms and went moose watching in Island Pond. If you want to see a room full of maple sugar candy and free samples I recommend Maple Grove Farms. The Flight Crew: Thanks for the tip, responds Gary.
Arlington, Va.:
My favorite hotel in Europe is the
in Siena, Italy.
It is nestled in the hills of Tuscany with gorgeous views of wineries. It has beutiful gardens with bright lemon trees, and breakfast is served outside, on a terrace, overlooking the gorgeous scenery.
The rooms are beautifully appointed, with antiques and marble bathrooms. And the windows have ceiling to floor linen drapes -- that blow in the breeze when the hospitality staff open your windows to let in the air and light.
The bus to the center of Siena stops right in front of the Villa, and it's only a quick ride into some of the best restuarants in all of Italy.
And the prices are resonable -- $150 for a room and breakfast (double) which is very good for Siena in the high season. The Flight Crew: That sounds like a great find, says Gary. I think I'll put it on my own list&#33
Washington, D.C.:
On the same note as the electric razor question, I am planning a vacation to Turkey in May with my soon-to-be fiance, in that I plan on asking her to marry me in Turkey. So what do I do with the ROCK? I am afraid to pack in my luggage for obvious fears that my suitcase could end up in Bujumbura or some nice Turkish baggage handler could decide to look through it. However, I'm reticent to bring it in my carry on for fear that it will be searched? Can I insure my suitcase? any suggestions? The Flight Crew: Yo, DC.
First, congratulations. Second, I wouldn't let the ROCK out of my sight&#33 Can't it fit in your pocket? You can take out travel insurance, but I'd put the ring somewhere very safe either on my person or in my carryon. If security does check it, chances are they aren't going to display it too prominently.
Someone here suggests putting the ring on a chain around your neck and packing the box separately--which would mask the ROCK nicely.
I brought a ring to Paris to give to my wife several years ago and just made sure I knew where it was at all times. Definitely don't check it.
And good luck&#33
Washington, D.C.:
For the Paris bound traveller, try the Hotel Dauphine Saint Germain. My wife and I stayed there a month ago--liked it very much, though rooms are small. Loved the neighborhood. Hang a left out the front door and the Pont Neuf is three minutes away. Louve and Musee D'Orsay just a little further. The Flight Crew: Thanks for the Paris tip, says Gary. Paris tips are always useful&#33
Washington, D.C.:
Cindy Loose is in Pigeon Forge? What did the poor woman do to deserve that? Pigeon Forge, where we used to camp when we went to the Smokies, is now the fifth circle of hell, behind Orlando but ahead of Las Vegas. Though I will say it's a fun place to play miniature golf: lose a ball and it goes bouncing down the mountain onto the highway below, beaning cars in its wake. The Flight Crew: Well, someone needed to see the new museum at Dollywood and say hey personally to Dolly, and hey, how bad can a place be that has a Dana Buchman outlet with $29 sweaters, originally $268? I plan to steal my 9-year-old's description: The town is just like the O.C. boardwalk&#33 And at the Comedy Barn we got to hear jokes like: ''My wife is an angel.' Response from ventroloquist dummy: ''You're lucky, mine is still alive.'' It is far from the Beltway, I'll tell you that&#33 And hey, the Smokies are still the Smokies. (Cindy)
Re: Traveling with baby:
However, relying on the provided car seat is a crap shoot at best. Bring you own. Plus, nicer ticket agents might give you a free seat for him/her, if the flight isn't full. If it is, just gate check your car seat. The Flight Crew: .I agree that you should bring the car seat to the gate in case you get a real seat, which is so much safer for baby and nicer for mom.
Re: Washington, D.C.: A question about complaining:
You missed my question (too long winded I guess).
Was 10 percent per night about right? How much discount should I expect for a really bad room? The Flight Crew: Sorry, I did miss the question, says Gary. Yes, although you would hope for more, a ten percent break sounds about par for the level of lodging you're talking about.
Washington, D.C.:
Any ideas for reasonably cheap vacations for a couple of soon-to-be starving students? For instance, are there any places in the Caribbean that you can find culturally interesting/backpacker-friendly/low-cost guesthouse type travelling (without having to fly to Southeast Asia)? We'd love to be able to get away before starting school later this summer. Thanks&#33 The Flight Crew: You can accomplish what you want in a cheap trip anywhere you go, be it Jamaica, Jakarta or Japan. The best resource for finding the type of accommodations you seek is The Rough Guide to Travel (). It gives you the top guesthouse-type recommendations of any guide out there.
The key is determining what you want to do on the trip besides immerse yourself in the culture. Do you want to snorkel or scuba dive? If so, go to Grand Cayman. Do you want to soak in a culture completely different from ours? I'd pick Jamaica for that. Do you want to veg on a beach or explore a rainforest? Perhaps Puerto Rico would be a good choice. Determine your country, find your airfare, then consult the Rough Guide for budget-minded suggestions and rooms.
Ferry Boats:
For the family who loves ferry boats: I came across this link, which is a
of ferry services in Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina. The Flight Crew: Wow, you rock&#33 Want a research-assistant job? --Elissa
New York, N.Y.:
We will be in Bangkok for four days next month and would like to do a day trip for one of those days. Any suggestions? We'd love to go to a nearby beach, but have heard nasty things about the beaches nearby (e.g., Pattaya). Thanks much&#33 The Flight Crew: Hi NY, KC here. There are literally hundreds of beaches to choose from in Thailand, most fast and easy to get to. I don't know that I'd make it a day trip from Bangkok though -- seems like you'd need at least two days. You're right, Pattaya Beach has quite the wild rep. Phuket is impossible. A lot of people like Ko Samui and Ko Samet because they're less overrun. Or consider Ko Chang, just a few hours southeast of Bangkok. It's relatively unknown and absolutely beautiful -- most of it is a national park.
Washington, D.C.:
Oh Travel Gurus:
My sister has been suggesting that she and I escape to a spa and has found the Heartland Spa one and a half hours south of Chicago, Ill. For scheduling and cost reasons, she proposes we go sometime in November.
Question: Will weather be a problem? Does anyone know anything about this spa? Thanks&#33 The Flight Crew: Chicago in November is cold and windy, but since you'll be inside most of the time I wouldn't worry--just bring some warm clothes to layer for when you leave the spa to look around.
We don't know that spa, though. Can anyone help? (Cindy)
Oakton, Va.:
The fares to Europe are outrageous this summer -- please help&#33 I need to be in Florence, Italy for a wedding on July 6, but don't necessarily have to fly in to Florence. Am flexible with the departure and return dates but the cheapest I can find is $958 on Crossair via Zurich. How can I manage to get a better fare? The Flight Crew: Sottili here: A consolidator may be able to help you, but I don't think you're going to get a fare that is much less than $1,000. The cheapest seats are already sold out for that time - the July 4 week is a very popular vacation period. Go to , , ,
and try different dates, destinations, etc. You may get lucky.
Paris bound:
Heading to Paris on Wednesday and wondering if it's best to take the Air France bus from Charles de Gaulle or a taxi or RER. I'm staying in the 5th. Merci beaucoup&#33 The Flight Crew: If you have an unlimited budget or lots and lots of suitcases, take a taxi, says Gary, who has taken all possible modes of transport into Paris. Otherwise, the RER and the bus are around six in one hand and half dozen in the other. If you're going to the 5th, the RER stop at Luxembourg Gardens would seem pretty convenient.
Bon Voyage&#33
Columbia, S.C.:
I have to add to your meager list on Charleston, S.C. First of all, Boone Hall plantation is not the best plantation site, as it is a replica house built 50 years ago. The guides often fail to tell people this. For better plantations, visit Drayton Hall, a National Trust site. It's not furnished, but is architecturally amazing. Middleton Place has wonderful gardens. Downtown, there are several fantastic houses to tour, operated by several historic preservation groups. As for places to eat, Charleston (in my opinion) beats Savannah hands-down for good restaurants. Fancier places include Magnolia's, Peninsula Grill, Hank's, High Cotton, etc. The list goes on and on -- including Carey Hilliard's (which is not downtown in the historic district). The Flight Crew: Thanks for the additions, responds Gary.
Washington, D.C.:
Just booked a sweet $238 total round-trip fare FOR TWO to West Palm Beach later this month. Now we need a nice (i.e., decent) hotel on the beach, not too long a taxi from airport (going to try no rental car this trip). Have any suggestions?
The Breakers, unfortunately, is a bit out of my $$ range.
Thanks&#33
Ready for Sun The Flight Crew: West Palm is decidedly cheaper than Palm Beach, which is across the bridge and a whole income bracket away. Many bigger chain hotels have shuttle service from airport to hotel, or check the Palm Tran, the $1.25 bus that makes the rounds. Also check some the online discount hotel sites, such as Hotel Reservations Network, which for a random date lists options ranging from $60 (Comfort Inn) to $$250 (Breakers--no surprise there&#33).--Andrea
Trains trains trains:
Taking a 7:30 a.m. reserved train to New York City on Friday. How early should I arrive at Union Station?
Thanks&#33 Love this chat&#33 The Flight Crew: If you have your ticket, 15-20 minutes or so will do. People line up early, but they don't get very far--since the Amtrak guy doesn't open the floodgates till minutes before departure time.-- andrea
Washington, D.C.:
Crew: what is the best way to get from LaGuardia to Midtown East hotel at 7 p.m. on a Friday night? The Flight Crew: Traffic in New York is never good, but as NY traffic goes, going from LaGuardia that time of night shouldn't be so bad. (Traffic would be awful going in the opposite direction, as workers leave the city.) Carey buses charge about $10 or so, as I recall. The only way to avoid car traffic is to take a cab to a subway, but personally, I' d rather sit in traffic. (Cindy)
Money Trouble:
Ack -- I leave for Europe Wednesday and can't find a bank that has Euros on hand. I'd like to go with at least SOME cash. Any advice? Thanks&#33 The Flight Crew: Gary responds: have you tried Thomas Cook, which has on office on K Street or Riggs Bank, asks Gary? They tout themselves as the best sources for euros in our area.
Salem, Va.:
Quick appliance question: Will a hairdryer purchased in Spain work without an adapter in France? I know that current is the same across Europe (right?), but what about plug shapes/sizes?
And if I were to buy a new hairdryer in Paris, what kind of store would be my best bet? Here, I'd just run to KMart or CVS -- would I need to go to a department store there? The Flight Crew: Both Spain and France use the European non-grounded plug (No. 400). You can use the same appliance in both countries.
To purchase a hairdryer in Paris, you might go to Galleries Lafayette, which is called "the Louvre of department stores" by Timeout, or the Monoprix, which seems to be France's equivilent of Target, with a supermarket.
Gold Lot Question:
In the Travel Scetion article yesterday it said that BWI's gold lot was an overflow lot. In all the discussions we had about this parking lot since last summer I don't remember that coming up. Is it true, and if so, how can you tell when it's open? The Flight Crew: Sottili here: It was open as a regular lot for several months and then they changed it to an overflow lot. You can find out its status by calling the airport at 410-859-7111 #4, or by listening to AM-1040 as you come close to the airport. It's rarely open - only very busy holiday weekends. And, if you've never parked there, it's a pain - the price is cheap, but it takes forever to get there and back.
Alexandria, Va.:
Favorite hotel in Europe is the Cashel House Hotel in Ireland. It's in the Connemara area on the west coast. A lovely small inn with gorgeous gardens and its own ponies&#33 On our last stay there, I sent back my half pint of beer because it tasted funny. I was very happy when they brought out a replacement -- on a silver tray&#33
We ate one night in the hotel, and that meal ranks in my all-time top five.
It's just a great experience -- the service is friendly without being overbearing, and I feel like I get four-star treatment without paying four-star prices. I'm going again in a few weeks and I can't wait. The Flight Crew: Thanks, you're in the running for the prize, says Gary.
Children and ID:
I've done some research on this question and according to the FAA, anyone who appears to be under 18 years of age does not need ID. I think in part because, what kind of ID would they have? Not a driver's license. Of course if the child is traveling overseas, he or she needs a passport. The Flight Crew: Thanks for the research. Though most 12-year-olds, or rather all Americans, have social security cards and birth certificates. Again, we say better to have than not. You never know these days. --Andrea
Washington, D.C.:
Went to Lisbon a few months back, and stayed at the charming Pensao Portuense, just off of Rossio/Restauradores two of the town's main squares. The place was cheap (~$40/night) and spacious (our double room included a sitting room off to the side), and the staff was attentive, to say the least.
When I left for a day of sightseeing, I put some dirty clothes on top of my suitcase, burying my dirty underwear under some larger things like pants, shirts, etc. Figured I'd deal with it later when I had a plastic bag to put everything in.
Upon return, imagine my surprise (and slight horror) that all of the clothes atop my suitcase had been neatly folded, including the dirty underwear&#33 If that's not service, I don't know what is.
I zipped up my suitcase, with dirty clothes inside, before sightseeing the next day. The Flight Crew: Nice story, responds Gary. Thanks for sharing.
ROCK hiding place:
My now-husband hid my ROCK inside his shoe. Of course, this was pre-shoe-bomber, pre-9/11. But my rings don't set off the metal detectors, so the guy should be okay. The Flight Crew: Excellent tip on the ROCK. Thanks, HP.
Centreville, Va.:
Obviously, all of you travel a lot. I'm curious as to how that works: is ALL of your travel subsidized by the Post? If you go on a personal (as opposed to a "work") vacation, but you later write about it for the paper, are any of your expenses reimbursed? And just how much fun and sightseeing do you do on "work" trips? Your jobs just sound fascinating and a lot of fun, and I'm just curious as to how it's all organized&#33
My favorite hostel (as a recent college grad with no money, I've not yet upgraded to hotels): the Maubisson (I hope I've spelled it correctly) in Paris. It's very near the Hotel-de-Ville metro stop, within walking distance of Notre Dame, on a quiet cobblestone side street. Clean rooms, private bath/showers, yummy continental breakfast, and a cheap restaurant at a nearby affiliated hostel. It's got character, too. I think it's a converted convent&#33 The Flight Crew: KC here. Unlike the writers at many other travel sections and publications, we pay our own way. This is strict Washington Post policy: We don't publish any stories that result from sponsored, or partially sponsored, trips. This applies to staff writers and freelancers equally. Our policy on reimbursing expenses varies depending on the trip and the writer, but this is generally something that is worked out ahead of time.
As for having fun on work trips, absolutely not. That is strictly forbidden.
Washington, D.C.:
"are there any places in the Caribbean that you can find culturally interesting/backpacker-friendly/low-cost guesthouse type travelling (without having to fly to Southeast Asia)?" I'd say BELIZE&#33; From Caye Caulker or more pristine islands down south to the Mayan ruins. The Flight Crew: A thought from a Belize fan ...
Dont miss Portmouth Island near Okrakoke...an actual East Coast ghost town with a wild and windy beach..watch out for the mosquitos though...lower OBX is great because it is not crowded but the nightlife is lacking, so if you like to go out and hit the town, be sure to pack the Scrabble game. The Flight Crew: Good idea....thanks. And Scrabble is good anywhere, right?
Another Paris hotel:
My favorite European hotel is the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, in Paris's Latin Quarter. It's on a quiet side street, away from the quarter's hustle and bustle, but still just a block from the Cardinal Lemoine metro stop and close to lots of cheap restaurants and Rue Mouffetard, a great market street.
The hotel is actually a group of buildings surrounding a lovely green courtyard, where you can eat breakfast on nice mornings. Some of the rooms (which are decorated in Laura Ashley-esque florals) h you can sit on the balcony and feel like you're in the country. (There are no TVs, but that just adds to the ambience, we thought.)
Rates are reasonable, too: We're going next week (our second visit) and are paying 92 Euros/night for a double with shower. The Flight Crew: Sounds lovely, thanks, says Gary. And I like the neighborhood, too.
Rosslyn, Va.:
For the person in search of places to go for anniversary: My wedding anniversary is coming up in two weeks as well and we're going to Solomons Island, MD (Calvert County). I've been going there myself since I was very young and it's a great place to relax and unwind. It's about 1 hour south of DC, so it's not a long distance trip, and there are plenty of B&Bs in town to accommodate couples. Plus, there are plenty of things to do--hiking, fishing, boating, lots of historical sites. The Flight Crew: Thanks Rosslyn, reports Gary. Sounds nice&#33
Arlington, Va.:
I traveled to and from BWI last week via the Metrobus from Greenbelt. It was a great ride both ways and easy to find in both directions. It should be noted that the scehdules are haphazard during rush hour because of BW Parkway traffic but I caught a bus 20 minutes earlier than expected because of it. I do hope that there is enough of a ridership to keep the service going. The Flight Crew: We do, too, Arlington. And thanks for the tip on the traffic...that BW Parkway has a way of foiling travel plans.
Washington, D.C.:
Hotel choice--Dingle Peninsula, Ireland Emlagh Lodge. A beautiful B&B overlooking the bay from one side and the ocean from the other. Costs in Dingle are standard--around 55 USD per night w/breakfast for two. This place was brand new and amazing--the room we had was huge, with skylights, hardwood floors, and a bathroom the size of our Capitol Hill apartment. Food was wonderful and the lodge is less than 5 minutes by foot from the center of Dingle. We loved it. Alicante, Spain--Hostal Monjes on Calle Monjes. Our best experience to date (and we've stayed in a lot of hotels). This place is for people on a budget, but don't be fooled by "Hostal." The rooms are huge and beautiful, with tall ceilings and tile floors. The windows were double or triple paned to mute the sounds from the never-ending night scene, and every room has cable TV/phone/bathroom/AC--even a built-in stereo&#33; I think we paid $25 U.S. per night, and the quality of the place was better than anywhere else we stayed in Europe for 4 times that (except Emlagh--see above). Hope this is what you wanted--if you want the big $$ hotels, we recent grads wouldn't know&#33; The Flight Crew: Thanks for that doubly whammy, responds Gary. Both sound like places well worth putting on my list&#33
Washington, D.C.:
Hi, I know you're probably all sick to death of the incessant airport questions, but I heard that next Monday, the 15th, will be the first day of the full flight schedule at National. I have a flight that morning at 7:30 a.m. Is this going to be a nightmare? Just how much of a difference might the added flights make?
Also, I'll be on my way to Cabo San Lucas for the week. Do you have any advice about what to see/do there? Thanks&#33 The Flight Crew: Sottili here: Nah, we love airport questions. The DOT has authorized a full flight sked as of April 15 (from 620 daily flights to 800), but that doesn't mean all the flights will be up and running. It will take the airlines several weeks, if not months, to get up to speed. So I wouldn't worry too much about that particular morning. It may be a bit more crowded and busy, but I see no pandemonium in my crystal ball.
Northern Virginia:
Asking about Amsterdam/Netherlands for a trip next week. This will be my last opportunity to submit before I leave for my trip. If you had to choose one, would you (or the others on this chat) visit Floriade (a once in 10 years occurance) or the Keukenhoff Park? Which is a better opportunity to see Holland's spectacular spring tulips/flowers? The Flight Crew: NoVa, I've run over to the Home section twice now to see if I can pick the brain of Adrian Higgins, the Post's garden columnist and frequent European traveler. But he's not around, and the rest of us aren't into flowers much. I can tell you that he was raving about Floriade just the other day. Maybe some of the clicksters can opine about this? -- KC
Kensington, Md.:
Hi Crew, I am a new golfer, but plan to do quite a bit of traveling - translation: flying - this summer and want to drag my clubs along. Anyone have experience with what I should look for in a travel case for my clubs. I'm a woman, so want to make sure I can manage it. Also, I appreciate suggestions of where to buy such a thing. Thanks The Flight Crew: Kensington, if you're REALLY worried about your clubs (i.e., if they are very fine ones), purchase a hard shell club case from any large sporting goods store or luggage shop. In most cases, you can get by with a tough ballistic nylon that zips over your bag. That's the lighter solution.
Reston, Va.:
RE: EUROs. There is absolutely no reason to leave the U.S. with Euros or any foreign currency, especially to Europe. The exchange rates here are outrageous comparatively speaking. Plus, all airport terminals have exchanges open. Tip: Exchange at the airport a small amount, no more than $100.00 and then use the ATMs. The Flight Crew: Thanks Reston, from Gary Lee.
Re: The Rock:
I understand the romance of wanting to present your almost-fiancee a rock when you pop the question, but putting it in your shoe is a really bad idea -- what if you have to take your shoes off during a random check? As a general rule, I never travel with any jewelry, since thieves are really good at removing it without the wearer's knowledge ... and what a tragedy it would be if she had it stolen after you'd given it to her. I'd either carry along a fake of some kind or tell her it's at home, waiting for her. The Flight Crew: Good point. I'm going to follow this note up with another that makes the same observation about bringing along a fake--which may be the best idea of all.
to the guy with the ring::
Leave the engagement ring in the safe deposit box and find something cute, funny, etc of no obvious market value to give to her when you pop the question in Turkey. It will make the trip so much more relaxing for you both. We left all our jewelry and watches at home, traveled with thrift shop costume jewelry and Swatches and didn't worry about border crossings, street crime, hotel security, swimming, etc. The Flight Crew: As promised . . .
Washington, D.C.:
Re: Visit to Savannah/Charleston,
Having lived in Charleston, I thought I might add my recommendations for your trip. I enjoyed taking one of the horse/buggy tours around the city. Be sure to spend some time walking around "The Market." It's a great place to buy some local artisans work (especially the sweet grass baskets), don't forget to visit one of the many plantations (Boone Hall, Magnolia, Drayton Hall, etc.) that are around the city. If you like food, be prepared to eat at some great restuarants. For a nice small town southern feel you might want to try Poogin's Porch. Enjoy your trip. The Flight Crew: Thanks for filling out our anemic Charleston offerings, says Steve. The carriage tour is also good in Savannah.
Paris hotels:
Frommers budget travel mag has an article in their latest issue on reasonable Paris hotels. The Flight Crew: They do indeed. Thanks for the reminder. That's a great little magazine, btw, with loads of good budget tips -- we like it a lot around here. - KC
Alexandria, Va.:
We just stayed at the Inn at Playa Del Rey in Los Angeles, and it was wonderful. They claimed the washingtonpost travel staff listed it among most favorite hotels. I couldn't find an article about favorite hotels in the archive, but I'd love to know about similar places, preferrably on the east coast. It was a short drive from my mother-in-law's house, and had a lovely view of the bird sanctuary and marina. The Flight Crew: Yep, I am the one who voted them my fave. Who knew that a place like that could exist in L.A., huh? As for the East Coast, those types of B&Bs are not as rare. Hate to answer a question with a question, but do you have a certain area/state in mind, since most places along the coast, from Cape Hatteras to Nantucket, are Playa del Ray twins. --Andrea
New Bern, N.C.:
Hello Flight Crew --
Can you help solve some discrepancies regarding St. Maarten? I am going there with a bunch of friends and everyone's guidebooks are conflicting. This is leading to threatening emails about who has a better guidebook. Please arbitrate this dispute.
One, is it true that the power is 110 V on the Dutch side and 220 on the French or 220 everywhere?
Two. My info has them in the Eastern Time Zone, but not observing Daylight savings. Is this true?
Three. Any recommendations concerning things to see, eat, or do would be greatly appreciated. We will be there from April 13-20.
I appreciate your answering this and giving the definitive word to settle these guidebook problems. The Flight Crew: This the official word from the St. Maarten's tourism council (1-800-786 2278): The island does not spring forward and fall back. However, that means that since we just changed clocks, we are now in synch with island time. When we turn the clocks back in the fall, they will keep the time they had and thus will be an hour ahead of us.
And it's true--the Dutch side uses American-style voltage, while the French side must use European style appliances or adapters.
Where to go and eat? Help us readers, please.
Woodley Park, Washington, D.C.:
Hello flight crew, i just recently proposed to my sweetie in Rome, and brought a diamond engagement ring along. I kept it in it's plain black box on the bottom of my hand carry-on, which I guarded very closely. I was also afraid of it turning up in plain view at the security gate, so popped a note in my bag as we approached with "there is a diamond engagement ring in a black box in the bottom left corner of this bag. Please do not let my girfriend see it, thanks." It worked like a charm, and of course I discarded the note once on the plane, so as to not alert potential pickpockets of what I was carrying. I had also put a combination lock on the bag. Popped the question in Piazza Navona to my surprised travel companion - she said yes&#33; The Flight Crew: Hey, ANOTHER fine idea. Truth be told, if I had a choice between bringing the ring and not bringing the ring, I'd chance it and bring it. Diamonds are a girl's best friend, right--not Diamonique&#33
And congratulations&#33
For the person going to the wedding in Florence:
It's always more expensive to fly into FLR than almost any other city in Italy. Try flying into Fiumicino and take the train to Florence. The trip is quite short and the view is nice&#33; I am going the same time to a wedding in Rome and I found a fare from IAD to FCO for $790. The train should be no more thatn $40--even on the EuroStar highspeed train&#33; The Flight Crew: Sottili here: Worth a look, but I think that $790 round-trip fare is going, going, gone.
Bethesda Mom:
Capo Gary: Although this isn't my tip, my 14 year-old, were he online instead of school just now, would want me to nominate the Hotel Miami in Rome for your hotel contest. Check it out at / He stayed there last year when my parents took him to Italy for spring break (note: they never took me, their daughter, to Italy for spring break when I was a kid, but I digress) and raved about the friendly staff, seemingly composed of several men named "Mario" who were extremely kind to a 13 year-old traveler and his rather exhausted grandparents, recommending restaurants that would accommodate multigenerational tastes as well as the best gellaterias. It was also centrally located, and not too expensive. I know he'd just love to win the Elvis clock&#33; The Flight Crew: Thanks Bethesda, Mom, you're in the running. By the way, how do you know that your son is not on line right now?
Sterling, Va.:
Dang it all I hit submit by accident before finishing. My favorite hostel is in Bacharach, Germany, overlooking the Rhine. It's a castle that has been converted to a youth hostel run by HI. The rooms are bright and cheery with bunkbeds and individual lights and the bathrooms are clean with lots of hot water and great shower pressure&#33; The breakfast provided is excellent and you can use some of what they give you for lunch if you carry ziploc bags&#33; It's a bit of a hike up steep stairs but it's very much worth it and the view is incredible. All for about $15-20 a night for a stay in a castle. The Flight Crew: Sterling, having lived on the Rhine for several years I appreciate this one, says Gary. Thanks&#33
Favorite hotel:
Well, actually it's an inn. The Warren House in Belfast, Northern Ireland. It's actually John Delorean's (of Delorean cars) old house, before his hard times with drugs, etc. Stayed there last August. Just outside of Belfast, on the main bus and rail route, owners are as nice as can be, without being too prying. Lovely grounds, nice and quiet. Most of the other guests staying were business travelers. About 20 minutes away don't miss the lovely little town of Hillsborough and the delicious pub/cafe across from the secretary of Northern Ireland's residence. The Flight Crew: Sounds like a great choice, says Gary. Thanks much&#33
Thomas Cook Branches:
Here's a listing of Thomas Cook Branches. It also lists their hours of operation. For DC, VA http://www./locate/southern.htm The Flight Crew: Thanks, Mr. Cook or whoever you are, says Gary.
Columbia, Md.:
hey elissa- I'm in Salt Lake for a conference for four days starting tomorrow. I'll be downtown - any restaurant recommendations? Short excursions out of town? Also, I'm planning on taking an unopened bottle of liquor for someone in my carryon - Besides selling drinks in the back of coach they won't have a problem with this, will they? The Flight Crew: You have a take a big swig from bottles of coke, water, and opened bottles of liquor. However, if it is apparent that the bottle is factory sealed, you should be okay. However, security can do whatever they want within reason, including making you drink your liquids. Personally, I'd put it in carryon to avoid the issue.
The mountains around Salt Lake City are beautiful, and horseback riding is a good way to see them. Any more specifics out there?
Washington D.C.:
Best hotel in Europe, hands down: Le Sireneuse, in Positano, Italy. Then again, nothing, and I mean NOTHING, could be bad when overlooking the cliffs of Positano. The Flight Crew: Good tip, says Gary. I'll put in on my list for my next Italy trip&#33
Chicago, Ill.:
If you're looking for a Spa near Chicago, definately go to The American Club in Kohler Wisconsin and stay in the Carriage House (a B&B type annex to the larger resort). The rooms have personal spas and whirlpools and the Kohler Spa is in teh same building (no need to change out of the bathrobe until dinner). My husband and I just returned (we took a couple days just after our wedding as we're taking a delayed honeymoon) and had such a magnificent time that we've pledged to go back for our first anniversary. The Flight Crew: Thanks for that thought, responds gary. Sounds perfect&#33!!
European hotel:
I recommend De Snieppe, a small and elegant--but not expensive--hotel in the medieval fairy book town of Bruges, Belgium. They also have one of the best restaurants in Bruges, including--at the time I was there--a superb multi-course vegetarian prix fixe dinner. Bruges is a 20 minute train ride from Brussels, so it's close to virtually anywhere in Northern Europe and definitely worth a detour. The Flight Crew: Gary says: I really like this nomination because I love Belgium. Think I'll check it out myself&#33
Bethesda, Md.:
Just a tip for the parent travelling with the eight month old -- please do not act like the parents I saw on my trip to Denver. Not only did they seem to want to harass everyone about how cute their baby was, but they CHANGED THE DIAPER right there in the cabin&#33; Uh, hello, that is what the bathrooms are for. And then, to top it off, they wanted to give the poor flight attendant who asked them to take the child to the bathroom the dirty diaper&#33; Uggh&#33; The Flight Crew: I can sympathize with your views on the diaper outrage. But I worry that you're so outraged about a proud parent's desire to show off a new member of the human race. Unless they actually thrust the child's butt into your face, I think you should smile and try to see the beauty in life.(cindy)
Re Floriade:
The Floriade is definitely the more spectacular show. It's a full-day affair, sort of like doing Disney World in flowers. The park is more intimate. It depends on which pleases you more. The Flight Crew: Thanks a lot.
Children and ID:
Many children have school ids. Also in Virginia, and probably eslewhere, you can get a picture id similar to a diver's license. In my experincve, before 9/11, my son was asked for an id. The Flight Crew: They don't technically need it unless they look 18. But it's good to have to avoid a hassle, and besides, having some kind of i.d. for your child is a good idea generally. (Cindy)
Washington, D.C.:
To the traveler with the 9-month-old.
I brought my 9-month-old to Rome and Paris back in 1986. One VALUABLE hint: bring a collapsable suitcase FULL of disposable diapers -- we did and thank god we did. But they didn't last the full two weeks. We discovered that the disposables available in Europe were not up to U.S. standards and leaked ALL OVER the place. And the added benefit is that you can use the suitcase to bring back your treasures from the trip. The Flight Crew: And I remember dragging along a suitcase full of packaged milk to Mexico. Thank goodness they do grow out of that stuff. (Cindy).
Hi Everybody. Does anybody know anything about Destin, Florida? How are the beaches, other activities, nightlife, etc. The Flight Crew: KC here. We wrote about Destin on Sept. 30 -- our writer, Linton Weeks, loved it and recommends it highly for families.
Arlington, Va.:
It's tough to select just a single favorite hotel in Europe, but one that's at the top of the list is Lavenham Priory, in Lavanham, England, an old wool town in east central England about 40 miles ESE of Cambridge. Now a B&B with 6 rooms, the Priory, a 13th Century half-timbered structure, was originally owned by Benedictine monks, and then by the Earls of Oxford. As in any 800 year old structure, the floors in the second floor aren't exactly flat, the ceilings are of varying heights, and the walls aren't exactly straight, but that's what gives the place character. The Flight Crew: Thanks&#33
Falls Church, Va.:
I am so glad i caught you. I am in the middle of planning a trip to Fankfort, Kentucky&#33; It's a long drive for 2 kids and 2 parents and I would like to split it somewhere in the middle with camping or a resort or something fun for 2-3days. Any suggestions. My mom is in Kentucky so it's mostly family visit there. I would liket to make the trip out there a mini vacation. Maybe camping on the way out for a few days and then a nice resort or amusement park on the way back. Does anyone have any ideas? The Flight Crew: Falls, time running out here, but...driving to Frankfort will take you right through West Virginia. Plenty of camping opportunities there. Consider Seneca Rocks area, or the Cranberry Wildnerness. Try this website for their state parks:
Washington, D.C.:
OK--Prague. The best accomodation there is probably not to be found in hotels, but in apartments. We stayed in a very large, well-appointed apartment just outside the city center (right on the metro or a 15 min. walk downtown). We paid $30 per night, and the place had a huge living room, large bedroom, and a kitchen, as well as a bathroom. It was fantastic (and right across the street from Quido, a high-end restaurant where 3 of us ate a massive Xmas dinner for under $30 total). Info: Call Paul at
0034 or 2 403. He speaks English very well, and he'll even meet you at the train station or airport and give you a helpful lecture on Prague. Mention the apt. on Vita Nejedle'ho, Number 3, Apartment 1. Good luck. The Flight Crew: Thanks for those detailed directions, Wash. Sounds cool.
St ,Martin...:
Eat on the French side -- nice quaint, yummy, party on the Dutch side. The Flight Crew: Thanks&#33
Fairfax, Va.:
Ayudame&#33 I'm heading to O will be there for about five days. Can anyone give me some ideas for daytime excursions that don't include "the aAttractions"? I'm especially interested in visiting some of the places that Zora Neale Hurston wrote about, both in her anthropological stuff and her fiction. The Flight Crew: For a quick cultural fix, head to Loch Haven Park, where you can find the science center, museum of art, museums of american folk art and american art, Leu Gardens, Shakespeare Festival, symphonies and more. You missed the Hurston festival (January), but perhaps the organization can offer some suggestions. Check www.zoranealehurston.cc. For other ideas, check the Post Web site under Travel, click under Florida and read the article by a Post book writer about literary spots.--Andrea
Here's the Destin story link:
The Flight Crew: Much heartfelt thanks for all your good questions and tips, said Gary. I particularly appreciate the nominations for favorite hotel in Europe. There were lots of great picks, including many I'd love to try out. I was most charmed by the story of the Bethesda mom whose son stayed at the Hotel Miami in Rome. You get the clock, my dear&#33 Please e-mail me your address at
and we'll send it your way&#33
Meanwhile, tune in next week&#33
re:vermont cheese:
One great (and beautiful) place to see cheese-making in Vermont is Shelburne Farms on the shore of Lake Champlain just south of Burlington. The views of the Adirondacks are amazing and there are nice walking trails, frequent outdoor concerts, an inn to stay at. The web site is http://www.shelburnefarms.org/about/cheesemaking.shtm The Flight Crew: thanks for that tip, says Gary.
& Copyright 2001 The Washington Post Company&
& & & & & & & Web Search:

我要回帖

更多关于 give thanks歌词 的文章

随机推荐