little pity for lifepity是什么意思东西

');ad_counter++};
Commentary
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- There was no time to sulk. That's not how
would handle one of the worst defeats a quarterback has ever absorbed in the Super Bowl.
This hurt, mind you. This stung. But it is not in Manning's makeup to wallow in disappointment or pity, even though he and his
teammates squandered an opportunity to put Manning in untouchable company.
Had Manning led the Broncos to victory over the &in Super Bowl XLVIII, had he added a second Super Bowl and another Super Bowl Most Valuable Player trophy to the record five league MVP titles he has won, the conversation would have been over. Manning would have been the GOAT. He would have achieved enough, in the regular season and, when it matters most, in the postseason.
But that didn't happen. Seattle made sure of that, dominating the Broncos from the jump and delivering a lopsided beatdown. The Broncos already had a 55-10 loss in their Super Bowl history. Now they have 43-8. One belongs to , the other to Manning.
Kevin C. Cox/Getty ImagesPeyton Manning begins the long walk toward the offseason after his second Super Bowl loss.
It will be tough to get over, if Manning ever can.
And one question that hung in the air after the game ended was as distasteful as the game itself:
Was it embarrassing?
"It's not embarrassing," Manning said, choking back on a word he said he refuses to use, ever.
"Embarrassing is an insulting word."
It didn't matter that the Seahawks have the first defense since the 1985
to lead the league in fewest yards allowed, fewest points allowed and most turnovers created. It didn't matter that earlier this season Seattle had embarrassed other teams -- such as 's
-- with their unique blend of speed and aggressiveness up front.
It actually all made sense. Manning knew you can't have a minus-four turnover margin and expect to win a game, especially a Super Bowl. Turnovers matter. Wasted possessions matter.
You can't hand a team like Seattle a gift-wrapped safety on the opening snap and then fail to gain a first down until the second quarter. All that does is give the Seattle defense, already brimming with swagger, even more confidence.
Manning knew all that. But 43-8? One of the biggest losses in Super Bowl history, in which the greatest offense in the history of the National Football League mustered only 279 yards, one touchdown and eight points?
That Manning didn't see coming.
All those yards Manning had thrown for during the regular season, in the end, meant nothing. All those touchdowns he threw -- more than any other team in the league -- were hollow. Manning might not have been throwing ducks, as
had surmised, but who cares now?
Fair or not, now we go back to the discussion about Manning's legacy. He has been to three Super Bowls. He has won only one. He is 37 years old, with a very important doctor's appointment on the horizon. The clock is ticking.
You can argue that Manning's two interceptions in the first half were not his fault. The first came on a play to tight end , who got tangled up in coverage, escaped a defender and broke off his route. Manning threw to the spot where Thomas was supposed to be but wasn't. Seattle safety
easily made the pick.
On the sideline, Broncos coaches immediately sat Thomas down, showed him the pictures and explained what he'd done wrong.
On the second interception, Seahawks defensive end
knocked Manning's arm as he threw the ball. Linebacker
made the interception and ran 69 yards for a touchdown that put Seattle up 22-0 with less than four minutes to play in the first half.
And with that, it was basically over.
After the game, Manning's father, Archie, and older brother, Cooper, spoke briefly with Peyton, who then showered, dressed and walked to a hallway to see his wife.
He then walked to his postgame news conference, answered a battery of questions, went back to the locker room for another quick chat with his wife and then walked -- flanked by a state trooper -- down a long hallway, around a corner and out of sight.
On the night of perhaps his biggest career disappointment -- a word he used over and over and over -- Manning took no time to wallow, no time to sulk.
"I don't know if you ever get over it," he said.
Elway would know. He was the Broncos' quarterback in Super Bowl XXIV, when Denver lost to the
55-10 in a game that, much like Sunday's, was never close.
Asked what he would tell Manning, Elway said: "Well, I just -- it was one of those nights. You've got to [give the Seahawks] them credit on the defensive side. We just can't make the mistakes that we made, especially against a good football team. You're not going to beat a really good football team turning it over four times and not getting any turnovers.
"He had a great year. Hopefully, we'll learn from this, and we're going to go at it again next year."
Next year. It is always next year. Manning could have made next year into the easiest season of his life. It could have simply been gravy on a stellar career.
Now, it means more than ever. He probably won't, but if Manning needed a little time to wallow in the loss, no one would blame him. He lost more than a football game. Manning lost a huge opportunity to end a conversation that has hounded him for much of his career.
< NFL columnist
Joined ESPN in 2011
Also worked at Sports Illustrated, Philadelphia Inquirer and Louisville Courier-Journal
SPONSORED HEADLINES
to add a comment, subject to Facebook's
and . Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. .
If Jameis Winston expects to lead a franchise, he should report to work at the draft.&&&&&
What does Chris Borland's decision to retire mean for football's future? It's about economics. After one week of free agency, NFL Nation explores what's been done and what's to come for each team. Jameis Winston is expected to be the No. 1 pick of the NFL draft. It wouldn't look good if he wasn't there.
Nike Men's Home Limited Jersey Denver Broncos Peyton Manning #18Grimms' Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm - Free Ebook
No cover available
Bibliographic Record
Grimms' Fairy Tales
The golden bird -- Hans in luck -- Jorinda and Jorindel -- The travelling musicians -- Old Sultan -- The straw, the coal, and the bean -- Briar Rose -- The dog and the sparrow -- The twelve dancing princesses -- The fisherman and his wife -- The willow-wren and the bear -- The frog-prince -- Cat and mouse in partnership -- The goose-girl -- The adventures of Chanticleer and Partlet -- Rapunzel -- Fundevogel -- The valiant little tailor -- Hansel and Gretel -- The mouse, the bird, and the sausage -- Mother Holle -- Little Red-Cap [Little Red Riding Hood] -- The robber bridegroom -- Tom Thumb -- Rumpelstiltskin -- Clever Gretel -- The old man and his grandson -- The little peasant -- Frederick and Catherine -- Sweetheart Roland -- Snowdrop -- The pink -- Clever Elsie -- The miser in the bush -- Ashputtel -- The white snake -- The wolf and the seven little kids -- The queen bee -- The elves and the shoemaker -- The juniper-tree -- The turnip -- Clever Hans -- The three languages -- The fox and the cat -- The four clever brothers -- Lily and the lion -- The fox and the horse -- The blue light -- The raven -- The golden goose -- The water of life -- The twelve huntsmen -- The king of the golden mountain -- Doctor Knowall -- The seven ravens -- The wedding of Mrs Fox -- The salad -- The story of the youth who went forth to learn what fear was -- King grisly-beard -- Iron Hans -- Cat-skin -- Snow-white and Rose-red.
Release Date
Apr 1, 2001
Copyright Status
Public domain in the USA.
11386 downloads in the last 30 days.
Download This eBook
//www.gutenberg.org/files/-h/2591-h.htm
<td class="right" property="dcterms:extent" content="5 kB
//www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2591.epub.noimages?session_id=d7a582ba0d15b5792bbbe512a1e67b
<td class="right" property="dcterms:extent" content="8 kB
//www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2591.kindle.noimages?session_id=d7a582ba0d15b5792bbbe512a1e67b
<td class="right" property="dcterms:extent" content="9 kB
//www.gutenberg.org/files/-pdf.pdf?session_id=d7a582ba0d15b5792bbbe512a1e67b
<td class="right" property="dcterms:extent" content="1 kB
//www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2591.txt.utf-8
<td class="right" property="dcterms:extent" content="7 kB
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2591/
Enter your search terms separated by spaces,
then press &Enter&.
Avoid punctuation except as indicated below:
exact match
Always put spaces around these.
this query
shakespeare hamlet
"Hamlet" by Shakespeare
"qui", not "Quixote"
love stories
love stories
a.shakespeare
by Shakespeare
s.shakespeare
about Shakespeare
ebook no. 74
juvenile l.german
juvenile lit in German
verne ( l.fr | l.it )
by Verne in French or Italian
love stories ! austen
love stories not by Austen
jane austen cat.audio
audio books by Jane AustenWhat I Have Lived For?的朗诵背景音乐?谢谢!What I Have Lived ForThree passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, hav_百度作业帮
What I Have Lived For?的朗诵背景音乐?谢谢!What I Have Lived ForThree passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a deep ocean of anguish, reaching to the very verge of despair.I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy---ecstasy so great that I would often have sacrificed all the rest of my life for a few hours for this joy. I have sought it, next, because it relieves loneliness---that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought it, finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring vision of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good for human life, this is what---at last---I have found.With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of men. I have wished to know why the stars shine. And I have tried to apprehend the Pythagorean power by which number holds sway above the flux. A little of this, but not much, I have achieved.Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, led upward toward the heavens. But always pity brought me back to earth. Echoes of cries of pain reverberate in my heart. Children in famine, victims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a hated burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be. I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer.This has been my life. I have found it worth living, and would gladly live it again if the chance were offered me. 译文:
我为何而生
我的一生被三种简单却又无比强烈的激情所控制:对爱的渴望,对知识的探索和对人类苦难难以抑制的同情.这些激情像狂风,把我恣情吹向四方,掠过苦痛的大海,迫使我濒临绝望的边缘.
我寻求爱,首先因为它使我心为之着迷,这种难以名状的美妙迷醉使我愿意用所有的余生去换取哪怕几个小时这样的幸福.我寻求爱,还因为它能缓解我心理上的孤独中,我感觉心灵的战栗,仿如站在世界的边缘而面前是冰冷,无底的死亡深渊.我寻求爱,因为在我所目睹的结合中,我仿佛看到了圣贤与诗人们所向往的天堂之景.这就是我所寻找的,虽然对人的一生而言似乎有些遥不可及,但至少是我用尽一生所领悟到的.
我用同样的激情去寻求知识.我希望能理解人类的心灵,希望能够知道群星闪烁的缘由.我试图领悟毕达哥拉斯所景仰的“数即万物”的思想.我已经悟出了其中的一点点道理,尽管并不是很多.
爱和知识,用它们的力量把人引向天堂.但是同情却总把人又拽回到尘世中来.痛苦的呼喊声回荡在我的内心.饥饿的孩子,受压迫的难民、被儿女们当作负担的无助的老人,还有这整个充满了孤独、贫穷和痛苦的世界,都是对人类所憧憬的美好生活的无情嘲弄.我渴望能够减少邪恶,但是我无能为力,我也难逃其折磨.
这就是我的一生.我已经找到它的价值.而且如果有机会,我很愿意能再活它一次.
What I Have Lived For-我为何而活Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a great ocean of anguish, reaching to the very verge of despair. I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy - ecstasy so great that I would often have sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy. I have sought it, next, because it relieves loneliness--that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought it finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring vision of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good for human life, this is what--at last--I have found. With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of men. I have wished to know why the stars shine. And I have tried to apprehend the Pythagorean power by which number holds sway above the flux. A little of this, but not much, I have achieved. Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, led upward toward the heavens. But always pity brought me back to earth. Echoes of cries of pain reverberate in my heart. Children in famine, victims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be. I long to alleviate this evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer. This has been my life. I have found it worth living, and would gladly live it again if the chance were offered me.中文译文:
我为何而生
我的一生被三种简单却又无比强烈的激情所控制:对爱的渴望,对知识的探索和对人类苦难难以抑制的同情.这些激情像狂风,把我恣情吹向四方,掠过苦痛的大海,迫使我濒临绝望的边缘.
我寻求爱,首先因为它使我心为之着迷,这种难以名状的美妙迷醉使我愿意用所有的余生去换取哪怕几个小时这样的幸福.我寻求爱,还因为它能缓解我心理上的孤独中,我感觉心灵的战栗,仿如站在世界的边缘而面前是冰冷,无底的死亡深渊.我寻求爱,因为在我所目睹的结合中,我仿佛看到了圣贤与诗人们所向往的天堂之景.这就是我所寻找的,虽然对人的一生而言似乎有些遥不可及,但至少是我用尽一生所领悟到的.
我用同样的激情去寻求知识.我希望能理解人类的心灵,希望能够知道群星闪烁的缘由.我试图领悟毕达哥拉斯所景仰的“数即万物”的思想.我已经悟出了其中的一点点道理,尽管并不是很多.
爱和知识,用它们的力量把人引向天堂.但是同情却总把人又拽回到尘世中来.痛苦的呼喊声回荡在我的内心.饥饿的孩子,受压迫的难民、被儿女们当作负担的无助的老人,还有这整个充满了孤独、贫穷和痛苦的世界,都是对人类所憧憬的美好生活的无情嘲弄.我渴望能够减少邪恶,但是我无能为力,我也难逃其折磨.
这就是我的一生.我已经找到它的价值.而且如果有机会,我很愿意能再活它一次.
您可能关注的推广回答者:英语翻译Bertrand RussellThree passions,simple but overwhelmingly strong,have governed my life:the longing for love,the search for knowledge,and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind.These passions,like great winds,have blown me hither and thither,in a wayward course,ov_百度作业帮
英语翻译Bertrand RussellThree passions,simple but overwhelmingly strong,have governed my life:the longing for love,the search for knowledge,and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind.These passions,like great winds,have blown me hither and thither,in a wayward course,over a deep ocean of anguish,reaching to the verge of despair.I have sought love,first,because it brings ecstasy --- ecstasy so great that I would have sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy.I have sought it,next,because it relieves loneliness --- that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into cold unfathomable lifeless abyss.I have sought it,finally,because in the union of love I have seen,in a mystic miniature,the prefiguring vision of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined.This is what I sought,and though it might seem too good for human life,this is what --- at last --- I have found.With equal passion I have sought knowledge.I have wished to understand the hearts of men,I have wished to know why the stars shine.And I have tried to apprehend the Pythagorean power by which number holds away above the flux.A little of this,but not much,I have achieved.Love and knowledge,so far as they were possible,led upward toward the heavens.But always pity brought me back to earth.Echoes of cries of pain reverberated in my heart.Children in famine,victims tortured by oppressors,helpless old people a hated burden to their sons,and the whole world of loneliness,poverty,and pain make a mockery of what human life should be.I long to alleviate the evil,but I cannot,and I too suffer.This has been my life.I have found it worth living,and I would gladly live it again if the chance were offered to me.
贝特朗russellthree激情,简单却异常强烈,支配着我的一生:对爱的渴望,对知识的追求,以及对人类苦难的难以忍受的怜悯.这些激情,像巨大的风,把我吹得飘来荡去,在一个任性的过程中,越过痛苦的海洋,抵达绝望的彼岸.我寻找爱,首先,因为它带来狂喜——这种陶醉是如此的美妙,我愿意牺牲所有的余生去换取几个小时这样的快乐的.我寻求爱,其次,因为它减轻孤独感——那种可怕的孤独中,一个人毛发悚然地从世界的边缘看到冷酷无生命的无底深渊.我寻求爱,最后,因为在爱的结合中,我看到,在一个神秘的缩影,在圣人和诗人想象过.这就是我所寻找的,虽然对人生来说似乎过于美妙,但这是我最终找到的.我用同样的激情去寻求知识.我希望能理解人类的心灵,希望能知道为什么星星会发光.我试图领悟毕达哥拉斯即数字支配着万物流转.这一点,但是不多,我做到了.爱和知识,只要有可能,通向着天堂.但是怜悯总把我带回尘世.痛苦呼喊的回声回荡在我的心.饥荒中的儿童,被压迫者折磨的受害者,无助的老人对他们的儿子,和整个世界的孤独,贫穷和痛苦嘲弄,使人类所应有的生活.我渴望能够减少邪恶,但是我无能为力,而且我自己也在忍受折磨.这就是我的生活.我发现它值得一过,我会很高兴地再活它一次如果再给我一次机会.

我要回帖

更多关于 pity是什么意思 的文章

随机推荐