where did you bornwas the caterpillar born?

&&&&The&Very&Hungry&Caterpillar&非常饿的毛毛虫
自营订单满49元(含)免运费
不足金额订单收取运费5元起
邀请好友参加吧
版 次:1页 数:字 数:印刷时间:日开 本:纸 张:铜版纸包 装:精装是否套装:否国际标准书号ISBN:4所属分类:&&&&&&&&&&&&
下载免费当当读书APP
品味海量优质电子书,尊享优雅的阅读体验,只差手机下载一个当当读书APP
本商品暂无详情。
当当价:为商品的销售价,具体的成交价可能因会员使用优惠券、积分等发生变化,最终以订单结算页价格为准。
划线价:划线价格可能是图书封底定价、商品吊牌价、品牌专柜价或由品牌供应商提供的正品零售价(如厂商指导价、建议零售价等)或该商品曾经展示过的销售价等,由于地区、时间的差异化和市场行情波动,商品吊牌价、品牌专柜价等可能会与您购物时展示的不一致,该价格仅供您参考。
折扣:折扣指在划线价(图书定价、商品吊牌价、品牌专柜价、厂商指导价等)某一价格基础上计算出的优惠比例或优惠金额。如有疑问,您可在购买前联系客服咨询。
异常问题:如您发现活动商品销售价或促销信息有异常,请立即联系我们补正,以便您能顺利购物。
当当购物客户端手机端1元秒
当当读书客户端万本电子书免费读The Caterpillar
| LinkedIn
Reading time: 1-2mins
One creature that never ceases to amaze me is the caterpillar. There is no other creature that I am aware of that is so fascinating, because as a part of its growth and development it totally changes its identity and function!
This creature is born of larvae then starts off life as a caterpillar and then crawls around eating foliage until it is ready. It is then incubated within a cocoon and after its tr it comes out no longer a caterpillar but as a butterfly! How remarkable is that? The caterpillar experiences a change of form, colour, function and purpose as it no longer crawls but flies!
This has always amazed me and this is what good mentors can help facilitate within a young person’s life - stimulate their growth and development through epiphanies.
I share this with young people and make them aware that they have the potential to become more than what they are and they can become that if they do their part! The other thing I find quite intriguing is this transformation is not easy and comes along with its challenges. In the process of the butterfly exiting the cocoon (the place of change) it has a mighty struggle to experience its full metamorphosis. However, without this struggle it cannot fly! So if you ever come across a butterfly exiting its cocoon and you see it struggling never help it out, as the struggle is what gives its wings the strength to fly (plus colour)! So without the initial challenge there would be no flying and they would be resigned to crawling like a caterpillar, which is a bit like many of us!
We were created to experience greatness and soar beyond our limits but, many of us accept mediocrity and find it more comfortable to crawl.
Herman Stewart is the Founder & CEO of Every Child Needs a Mentor, which is a leading mentoring programme provider, delivering bespoke programmes for schools. Herman and his team equip parents, teachers, professionals and pupils to become mentors and has a passion for enabling children to have epiphanies. As well as being a chair of governors in one of the top 100 state schools in the UK, he is also the author of the book&“Every Child Needs a Mentor”.&
To find out more, visit &
Contact details: 1 or email: Looking for more of the latest headlines on LinkedIn?IndieGames.com is presented by the UBM TechWeb Game Network, which runs the Independent Games Festival & Summit every year at Game Developers Conference. The company (producer of the Game Developers Conference series, Gamasutra.com and Game Developer magazine) established the Independent Games Festival in 1998 to encourage innovation in game development and to recognize the best independent game developers.
While some may have played indie games in their sleeping sacks, those who played Lucky Frame's caterpillar sim , exhibited at alt.ctrl.GDC, have partaken in the rare, if not unique, experience of playing a game with a sack controller, which becomes part of your caterpillar body.
Lucky Frame, makers of IGF Finalists
and , have created something metamorphic with ROFLPILLAR, which requires players to eat as much fruit as possible on the screen that hangs above their heads tucked underneath a custom built house.
The caterpillars are controlled by a string that is held to players' waists, whose legs remain tucked in colorful sacks. Players can use a speed-up boost, too, which comes in handy once they realize more "points" can be earned from eating their opponent's growing body.
As part of the alt.ctrl.discuss series that looks at the first exhibit EIC John Polson organized, Yann Seznec of Lucky Frame discusses the creation and iteration of this ROFL-funny experience.
How does the game work, especially with the button for power ups and string attached to the catepillar-body-bag?
When each player gets into a caterpillar sack and sticks their head in the house, this pulls the gametrak string out a bit. when they press the button to start the game this calibrates their current position to be the center point...then, when the players move their hips back and forth their respective caterpillars will move in response to their movements. Move left, the caterpillar goes left, etc. It's remarkably effective - people pick it up almost instantly and don't even realize quite how much they are moving!
The game itself is very simple, the aim is to get to the end as the biggest caterpillar - eating an apple adds a segment to your caterpillar, and running into your opponent will remove some of their segments. Each time you eat an apple you are given some form of powerup (speed, invincibility, etc) which is activated by pressing the button.
How did the idea of ROFLPILLAR come about?
The idea really comes from , who started thinking about games that would require pushing against physical restraints of some sort. From Jonathan, "The caterpillar idea came from Ricky Haggett of Honeyslug who suggested it as a theme when I told him I wanted to make a game where people wriggled around on the floor."
We had a number of ideas playing with this concept, including having games where people would be tied to chairs, or wrapped in sleeping bags, and so on. He hit on the idea of being a caterpillar, which instantly felt like the perfect interaction. One of the earliest ideas we had was to set the game in a cocoon, with the player struggling to get out of the chrysalis and become a butterfly!
Parallel to that line of thinking we were also really curious about making local multiplayer immersive games. The new trend towards VR, most obviously in terms of the Oculus Rift, is often by definition a very solitary experience - one person dons a headset and everyone else watches. That type of play can be very powerful, but we are particularly interested in social interaction, so of course we gravitated towards something that more than one person could play together, and ideally put on a bit of a show for anyone not playing!
From Jonathan, "The reason that I wanted to make a game about being restrained was from my experience of playing with VR, and finding the lack of a body a really interesting thing. So I thought how fun it would be to roll around on the floor with a VR headset on."
The third key part of our thinking was to try and make it as low cost as possible. So everything was hacked together using old game controllers, cheap wood, and a TV monitor. Thus, Roflpillar (rolling on the floor laughing caterpillar) was born.
How did you build and iterate on it?
The game is comprised of a small wooden structure that holds a TV screen about 50cm from the floor, facing downwards. We went through a few iterations of this, starting with scrap wood that was lying around the office, followed by rebuilding it with decent wood from a local lumberyard, and finally for alt.ctrl.GDC our super amazing friend Charlie Bucket built a proper structure using nice thick wood and metal brackets.
Sitting on top of the television is a custom built electronics box that connects to the motion sensors.
Sean McIlroy, our artist, then worked with artist extraordinaire Morgan Cahn to make a gorgeous covering for the whole structure, to hide the TV and make it look all magical. We've gone through a few iterations of this, starting with just some fabric draped over the top, moving onto a super beautiful but fragile painted cardboard structure, followed by a much stronger frame and fabric solution. Morgan also sewed up the caterpillar sacks for people to get in - our first version didn't have the sacks, which resulted in some unfortunate situations regarding people wearing dresses, so they are both cool looking and practical!
The motion sensors are attached to those sacks. For these we hacked apart a few , which are a generally-forgotten proto-motion controller from the early 2000s that were only sold in Europe, I believe. They are effectively
- a long string of fishing wire attached to a potentiometer and pulled through a joystick. Each gametrak has two (one for each hand), and you can find them for around ?5 in charity shops around Britain. They really are a steal, because you can hack them apart really easily and use them to make all sorts of fun things (like a
for example).
In any case, the gametraks are attached to the sacks and hooked up to the electronics box, which houses a
microcontroller which feeds the data from the strings to a laptop via USB. The laptop runs the game (built in Unity), sending the video output to the TV. That's the whole setup!
Early concept art for the software:
The very first prototype, using chairs and a TV screen from Sean's grandmother:
Version 1 at Game City:
alt.ctrl.GDC version:
(photo from )
Who built what, and when and where was has it been exhibited?
It was very much a team effort by the Lucky Frame team (Jonathan, Sean, and myself), together with enormous help from Morgan Cahn and Charlie Bucket. So far it has been shown at , , , alt.ctrl.GDC,
in London, Wild Rumpus at GDC, and A MAZE (assuming we can track down a TV there!).
How would you release a commercial version of this, if at all?
It seems impossible but we've actually given it some thought! Realistically the most complex part is the electronics. So we've thought about making a package for sale where we would make the electronics box and modified gametraks, and provide the plans to build everything else yourself (together with the software of course). Perhaps we could also make the costumes and house covering! This is interesting to us also because people could potentially use the sensors and electronics to make their own games. It would almost be like selling a new gaming platform, which is kind of hilarious.
What sort of design aspects haven't you discussed about ROFLPILLAR before?
One extra thing I haven't mentioned is the sound, which was quite fun to make. It's built using a combination of field recordings from the
and some recordings I made of an orchestra who shall remain nameless. Each time you eat an apple it actually generates a random orchestral note from a scale, so it's secretly an ambient musical generation machine, too!
[If you are making an alternative controller or device, be sure to reach out to EIC . For other alt.ctrl stories, . *Top video by , filmed at GDC 2014.]
Categories:
Please enable JavaScript to view the
Recent Features Posts
-September 14,
-April 30,
-April 30,
-April 29,
-April 24,
-April 22,
-April 22,
-April 21,
-April 18,