新编实用英语1第四版综合教程3第四版第5单元图表作文

新编实用英语综合教程3 Unit 5 Brands and Advertisements
&&&&unit | fivebrandsand advertisements高等教育出版社 高等教育电子音像出版社unit | five unit goals:what you should learn to do1. learn about the use of advertisement 2. le&&&&arn about the success of advertisements3. write a classified adwhat you should know about1. ways to make conclusions 2. how advertising works 3. what makes successful advertisingunit | five contentstalking face to facesection ⅰsection ⅴappreciating culture tipssection ⅱbeing all earssection ⅲsection ⅳmaintaining a sharp eyetrying your handunit | five section ⅰ talking face to faceintroductionfollow the samplesbusiness communicationtalkingact output in useunit | five introduction look at the following brand logos and match them with the slogans in the right column.key: 1 →nba 2 →fedex 3 →nike 4 →bmw 5 →kfcbackunit | five follow the samples 1 branding is worth a lot jack: wow, you look so cool today. rose: thank you! my suit makes me feel confident. jack: yes, it fits you perfectly. may i have the price, if you don’t mind rose: of course not. rmb3 000. jack: woe that’s so expensive! rose: yes, but look at the brand name. it’s versace. it’s afirstclass brand known all over the world. jack: that’s why it costs so much. rose: no, that’s why it’s worth so much. jack: oh, yes. the world’s first famous brand can command the highest prices.unit | five 2 tv advertising makes your products widely known bob: we intend to launch our new products soon. could you offer some suggestionsfor us mary: advertising is the key to the success of your goods. that is my suggestion to you. you should invest in advertisements. bob: yes. we are planning to advertise in several newspapers. could you please recommend one for us mary: choose a newspaper that has a large circulation. what’s your marketing budget this time bob: what do you mean by budget mary: the choice of advertising depends on how much you are prepared to pay. bob: i see. we will spend whatever is necessary to advertise well. mary: in that case i recommend you pursue tv advertising, because tv commercials are much more successful in informing people of your products. back bob: thank you for the advice. you’ve greatly helped me.unit | five act out here is a group of short dialogues. follow the examples and make more conversations with your partner.unit | five unit | five backunit | five put in use 1 imagine you are in charge of a company’s advertising affairs. you are discussing your new advertising idea with your agent. complete the following dialogue by translating the chinese into english. you: i’d like to have a discussion with you about 1 the headline of the advertisement ______________________ for our computers __________________. (我们电脑广告的标题。) agent: ok. to some extent, 2 _______________________________________. the headline is more important than the body(标题比正文更重要。)you: absolutely. what’s your suggestion agent: well, 3 _________________________________ (你觉得这个标题怎样) what do you think of this headline ―computer changes your life‖ you: em... 4 ________________. (有点太平淡了。) it’s a little too plain agent: it’s very hard to settle on the headline right now. 5 __________________ shall we discuss the body of the advertisement first _________________________ (我们先讨论正文好吗) you: ok.unit | five 2 imagine you are a clerk of an advertising company. you are talking with your client. complete the following dialogue by translating the chinese into english. client: we intend to ask you to advertise for our company. could you giveme a brief account of your companyyou: 1 we mainly deal with outdoor advertising __________________________________________________. (告诉他你的公司主要从事户外广告。)client: which places do you recommend for placing our billboardsthe choice of an advertising place depends on how much you are you: 2 __________________________________________________ prepared to pay __________________________. (告诉他广告地点的选择取决于他打算付多少费用。) client: advertising in the centre of the city must be very expensive, isn’t it you: 3 __________________________________________________. yes, but it can make your product widely known (同意他的看法。但告诉他广告能使他公司的产品家喻户晓。)client: we would like you to arrange them at suitable sites.backunit | five business communicationgraphic presentation3 the following chart is about the expenditure (花费) on advertising by members of mpaa. look at the chart carefully and get ready to say something about it.unit | five unit | five key:this graph shows the mpaa members’ expenditure on advertising in various media: the internet, newspaper, satellite tv, network tv and others. according to the graph, the advertising investment in the newspaper revealed a trend of gradual decrease from 13.6% in 2002 to 10.8% in 2006. the advertising expenditure on satellite tv and network tv showed a similar trend of decrease, dropping respectively from 17.5% and 22.8% in 2002 to 13.9% and 21.2% in 2006. on the contrary, as can be seen from the chart, the expenditure on advertising through the internet accounted for the major portion of the expenditure and increased steadily year after year, from 45.2% in 2002 to 50.4% in 2006. this clearly indicates that companies relied more and more on the internet for advertising. therefore, we can draw a conclusion that the traditional advertising media are giving way to the newly-emerging media like the internet.backunit | five section ii being all earslisten and completelisten and translatelisteninglisten and decidelisten and readunit | five listen and completescript1 listen to a dialogue and complete the following statements.media world 1) paula is the host of the radio programme __________. night and day advertising company 2) tessa comes from a company called ____________________________. 3) people who write advertisements are called __________. copywriters people don’t work long in advertising 4) paula has the impression that ________________________________. 5) people think that a job in a bank is __________. saferunit | five script:paula: hello. i’m paula silverman, and welcome to media world. we’re delighted to have tessa saumders with us today from night and day advertising company. well, first of all, how long have you been working in advertising, tessa tessa: for five years. paula: could you tell us about your present job tessa: well, i’m an account executive. i work very closely with the client. we make decisions about the best advertising strategy for a product. i also work closely with the people who write the advertisements — the copywriters. paula: and how have you been doing that working as an account executive, i mean. tessa: i think i’m quite successful. paula: i have the impression that people don’t work very long in advertising — that it’s a good business to be in when you’re young but not when you’re getting old. do you agree tessa: well, it is true that there are a lot of people below the age of thirty in advertising, and many of them earn good salaries. but there are also a lot of older people in it, too. back paula: but isn’t it much easier to lose a good job in your business than to get one unit | five tessa: it isn’t as safe as a job in a bank, if that’s what you mean. listen and decidescript2 now listen to the dialogue again and try to answer the following questions. 1) when did tessa get her first job in advertising five years ago. 2) when did tessa become an account executive not mentioned. 3) what does tessa do as an account executive she works closely with the clients and advertisement writers and works out advertising strategies with them. 4) what’s the best age for those who work in the profession of advertising according to tessa under 30. 5) are there older people who are in the advertising job yes, there are also a lot of older people in it.backunit | five script:paula: hello. i’m paula silverman, and welcome to media world. we’re delighted to have tessa saumders with us today from night and day advertising company. well, first of all, how long have you been working in advertising, tessa tessa: for five years. paula: could you tell us about your present job tessa: well, i’m an account executive. i work very closely with the client. we make decisions about the best advertising strategy for a product. i also work closely with the people who write the advertisements — the copywriters. paula: and how have you been doing that working as an account executive, i mean. tessa: i think i’m quite successful. paula: i have the impression that people don’t work very long in advertising — that it’s a good business to be in when you’re young but not when you’re getting old. do you agree tessa: well, it is true that there are a lot of people below the age of thirty in advertising, and many of them earn good salaries. but there are also a lot of older people in it, too. back paula: but isn’t it much easier to lose a good job in your business than to get one unit | five tessa: it isn’t as safe as a job in a bank, if that’s what you mean. listen and read 3 listen to the following passage and fill in the blanks according to what you have heard. with about 3 million business enterprises using one or more forms of advertising, almost every 1 american citizen hears or sees advertising every _____________ $370 day. in the mid-1980s, us companies invested nearly column b 2 __________ per person on advertising each year. the high cost of advertising in the us has led many critics to attack it as a wasteful, unnecessary, unreliable, and annoying institution. such critics usually 3 __________ argue industry unnecessarily that the adds to the cost of goods and 4 __________ promoted by it. however, though servicesthe supporters of advertising recognize some of these criticisms, they arguepurchasing that by interesting consumers in 5 __________ commodities, advertising enables manufacturers and others to sell their products in 6 ____________; larger quantities in turn the increased volume of sales 7 __________ enables companies to sellindividual units at a lower price than if theywere produced in small quantities.backunit | five listen and translate 4 you are going to listen to a short passage
inc. you should try to translate what you hear into chinese orally.key: 中国电子商务公司阿里巴巴 ( inc.) 周一将启动在 美国的首项大规模广告宣传活动,这是该公司在全球衰退期间寻 求新增长的举措。这场规模达3 000万美元的宣传活动主要针对美 国市场,其目的在于向美国企业家介绍阿里巴巴的英文网站。backunit | five script:the chinese e-commerce
inc. will onmonday launch its first major marketing campaign in the us, as itsearches for new growth during the global recession. the $30 million campaign, focused primarily on the us market, aims to introduce’s englishlanguage website to the us entrepreneurs.backunit | five section iii trying your handapplied writingread and simulatesimulate and creategeneral writingwrite through correcting mistakes write through translation write through describing a pictureunit | five applied writingread and simulate1 read the following two samples of advertisement and learn to write your own.unit | five unit | five unit | five unit | five backunit | five simulate and create2 choose the right answer according to the advertisements above.1 ) manchester hotels and apartments offer apartments with d __________. a. an air-conditioner b. a black-and-white tv c. a computer d. a kitchen2) if you stay in manchester hotels and apartments for two days, you’ll c pay at least __________. a. £59 b. £95 c. £8 d. £90unit | five d 3) when your house needs cleaning, you can call __________. a. xxx-626-8283 b. xxx-5453 c. xxx-6991 d. xxx-626-5584 4) if you are a female non-smoker and want to share a home with a local family, you can call __________. a a. xxx-626-8283 b. xxx-5453 c. xxx-6991 d. xxx-626-5584 5) if you want to get a brochure about learning to use a computer as a word processor, you can call __________. b a. xxx-5453 c. xxx-733-6427 b. xxx-2619 d. xxx-6991unit | five simulate and judge3 complete the advertisements according to the information given in chinese.non-smoking m reasonable ratesnanny for downtown familyno job too big or too smallunit | five 4 translate the following renting advertisement into english. 招 租 重庆市中山路235号有四室住宅一套招租。煤气、水、电均已配置齐全, 另有附属车库,房租每月人民币2 000元整。 有意者请与重庆机械进出口公司面洽。 电话:023-6836xxxx 地址:重庆市长江路222号 邮编:400002 key: for rent four-roomed dwelling house at no. 235, zhongshan road, chongqing. gas, water and power available. attached garage. rent rmb 2000 yuan per month. apply to chongqing machinery imp. & exp. corp. tel: 023-6836xxxx add.: no. 222 changjiang road, chongqing zip: 400002backunit | five general writingmaking a conclusion making a conclusion is a process in which one identifies the clear and appropriate consequences or inferences based on the logical and natural relations between incidents. some logical indicators and patterns are listed below to help you to learn to make a conclusion in english.unit | five backunit | five write through correcting mistakes 5 correct the errors in the following sentences. 1) we’ve noticed that jerry has been working on the problem from 8:00 to 12:00 and still couldn’t work it out. to sum up, we might say the problem is quite hard to solve. we’ve noticed that jerry has been working on the problem from 8:00 to 12:00 and still couldn’t work it out. so we might say the problem is quite hard to solve. 2) in a conclusion, i’d like to try one more time to achieve a better result. in conclusion, i’d like to try one more time to achieve a better result. 3) she has an interest in music, from classical to pop, from ancient to modern, and from chinese to foreign. as a result, she likes all kinds of music. she has an interest in music, from classical to pop, from ancient to modern, and from chinese to foreign. in short, she likes all kinds of music.unit | five 4) he didn’t wake up on time, and he missed the bus, to make matters worse his taxi got stuck in a traffic jam, in shorts, the day began like a nightmare. he didn’t wake up on time, and he missed the bus, to make matters worse his taxi got stuck in a traffic jam, in short, the day began like a nightmare. 5) english is used to do business with foreigners from both english speaking and non-englis employees in large multinational companies discuss technical pilots also adopt english as th and so on and so forth. to sum, english is widely used in many countries and in many fields. english is used to do business with foreigners from both english speaking and non-englis employees in large multinational companies discuss technical pilots may also adopt english as th and so on and so forth. to sum up, english is widely used in many countries and in many fields.backunit | five write through translation6 translate the following sentences into english. 1) 广告通常非常短小,因此创意(originality)尤其重要。 advertisements are usually very short, and therefore originality becomes especially important. 2) 从他过去两个学期良好的表现来看,我们可以得出这样的结论:他是一个 很有前途的学生。 from his good performance in the past two semesters we may come to the conclusion that he is a very promising student. 3) 总而言之,这部电影可算是一部成功的国产影片。 in a word, this movie can be rated as a successful domestic film.unit | five 4) 艾滋病并非像我们想像的那么可怕,因此我们应该平等对待艾滋病人。 aids is not as terrible as we imagine and, therefore, we should treat the aids patients equally. 5) 我们不能只凭一个人说的话来判断他/她的好坏,总而言之,网上交友要 特别慎重。 we should not judge a person merely by what he/she says. in a word, we should be very careful when making friends on the internet.6) 由此可以得出结论:我们必须大力发展继续教育。from there/this we come to the conclusion that great effort should be made to develop continuing education.backunit | five write through describing a picture7 please write a short paragraph to describe the chart of country a’s 2005– 2008 ad spend trend with the help of the words or phrases given below. you may begin the passage with ―this is a chart on country a’s
ad spend trend…‖unit | five unit | five key: this is a chart of country a’s
ad spend trend. it shows thatcountry a closed 2008 posting a 17% year-on-year increase in advertisingspending, up slightly from the 15% growth recorded in 2007 but below the 23% growth seen in
was a year of opportunities. in this year, country a held a lot of international events in which advertising played a very important role. lots of money was invested in this field. as can be seen from the chart, the percentages of yearly increases in the expenditure on advertising were quite different. with the 15% growth and the 17% growth in 2007 and 2008 respectively, the ad expenditure increased steadily. compared with the ad expenditure in 2005, the expenditure in 2006 rose sharply by the 23% growth on year increase. this chart also indicates the trend of increase in ad expenditure, which reveals that more and more people, companies, organizations and so on realized the importance of ad.backunit | five section iv maintaining a sharp eyepassage i information related to the reading passage textpassage ii information related to the reading passagetextlanguage pointsread and think read and complete read and translate read and simulatelanguage pointsread and judgeread and rewrite read and translateunit | five information related to the reading passagemore about elsie facts
since 1939, there have been approximately 50 ―live‖ elsies. pictures of borden’s ―barnyard queen‖ have been seen by consumers in 107countries around the world.
in the early 1940s, elsie raised $10 million in us war bonds while on tour. she also hit the hollywood scene with her first film debut as a cow named buttercup in the movie, little men, starring jack oakie and kay francis.
during world war ii, elsie was a popular pinup girl that adorned navy servicemen’s lockers and planes that were named after her.
elsie has made special appearances at the kentucky derby, indianapolis 500, rose bowl parade and disney world.
universities have awarded elsie with several degrees — a doctorate of bovinity, doctorate of human kindness and doctorate of ecownomics.backunit | five passage ielsie the cowamerica’s favourite cow celebrates her 60th birthday in bryant park today, elsie the cow, america’s most beloved beauty, is returning home to her birthplace — new york city — to celebrate her 60th birthday and her lifetime achievements as a trusted advertising icon. 1 to celebrate elsie’s 60th birthday, manhattan will be the site of the celebration, complete with a barn, white picket fence, hay and of course, the world’s most popular cow, elsie. the barnyard celebration will take place in bryant park on 42nd street, near times square, where an authentic red barn will be raised to celebrate this major milestone in advertising history. who then is elsie the cow and why is her life romantic elsie is one of america’s best known and loved advertising icons. through the 2 past 60 years, the friendly and cheerful bovine has come to embody all that is dairy and has “mooed” her way into the list of top 10 icons of all time according to advertising age. elsie has even been presented with keys to more than 200 cities.unit | five 3 the world’s most famous cow is recognized nine out of ten times by people who know her for her smile and warm eyes. but, what mothers have recognized about elsie for the past 6 decades are the fresh daisies around her neck, which symbolize the fresh dairy quality that elsie always delivers. elsie represents the natural, pure and wholesome goodness of dairy. elsie’s fictional character was created in the 1930’s. the ads were so successful thatthey began appearing in newspapers. 4 it was in 1938 that elsie came to life when aradio commentator singled elsie out in a commercial that he read on the air. listeners were so amused by the commercial that they began sending fan mail to elsie. from that moment, elsie became the borden spokescow. as elsie’s popularity soared, she was invited to numerous engagements. soon, elsie was unable to honour all of the requests for her presence. to solve this problem, elsie’s husband, elmer, and her first daughter, beulah, were born in 1940.unit | five exercisesover the decades, elsie has risen from barnyard to stardom as the wholesome,motherly fictional cow who spread the word in borden advertisements about the importance of quality and freshness of dairy products. even today, her daisy chain necklace symbolizes dairy freshness to moms throughout the country. “since her birth 60 years ago, elsie has been synonymous with dairy products that families can trust to deliver wholesome nutrition, great taste and freshness,” said dick ballard, president of american dairy brands. “like the dairy products she promotes, elsie has been part of the american experience for generations.” “i’ve had a love affair with elsie for over 60 years. 5 it began when i first set my eyes on her at the 1939 world’s fair in new york making her the living, breathing elsie,”said one customer. “elsie has a personality unlike any other animal. she has a specialway of charming people wherever she goes.”backunit | five language points1 explanation of difficult sentences1. (para. 2) to celebrate elsie’s 60th birthday, manhattan will be the site of thecelebration, complete with a barn, white picket fence, hay and of course, the world’s most popular cow, elsie.analysis: to celebrate elsie’s 60th birthday is an infinitive phrase to express thepurpose of the sentence. complete with... is a prepositional phrase to modify the site of the celebration.translation: 为了庆祝埃尔西的60岁生日,人们选择曼哈顿作为庆典现场,在那里修建了一间牛舍,围有白色的栅栏,铺着干草,当然还少不了全世界 最受人喜爱的奶牛——埃尔西。example: to qualify ourselves for the future job, we have had manysubjects to perfect us, complete with pe lessons.backunit | five language points1 explanation of difficult sentences2. (para. 4) through the past 60 years, the friendly and cheerful bovine has cometo embody all that is dairy and has ―mooed‖ her way into the list of top 10 icons of all time according to advertising age.analysis: here the word moo is originally onomatopoeia, but it is used as a verb togive a vivid image of a cow moving forward while uttering a long loudsound.translation:在过去的60年中,这个和蔼可亲的奶牛形象已经成为体现奶制品一切特征的标志,并且一路“哞”声不断,进入了《广告时代》评出的十 大顶尖广告形象的行列。example: the department was buzzing with rumours.backunit | five language points1 explanation of difficult sentences3. (para. 5) the world’s most famous cow is recognized nine out of ten times bypeople who know her for her smile and warm eyes. analysis: the frequency in this sentence takes the structure of nine out of ten times, which means ―in nearly every case‖.translation:人们认可埃尔西为世界上最著名的奶牛,十有八九是因为喜欢她的笑容 和暖人的眼神。example: only two or three out of ten people believe that the computer will fully take the place of our brain. backunit | five language points1 explanation of difficult sentences4. (para. 6) it was in 1938 that elsie came to life when a radio commentatorsingled elsie out in a commercial that he read on the air.analysis: this emphatic sentence takes the structure of ―it is... who/that...‖. translation: 1938年,一家电台的主持人在播送一则商业广告时突出了埃尔西,就是从那时起埃尔西就以活生生的形象出现了。example: it is on october 12 last year that i met him for the first time.backunit | five language points1 explanation of difficult sentences5. (para. 10) ―... it began when i first set my eyes on her at the 1939 world’sfair in new york making her the living, breathing elsie,‖ said one customer.analysis: making her the living... is a participle phrase modifying the 1939world’s fair.translation:一位顾客说:“1939年在纽约的世界博览会上第一次看见被打扮得栩 栩如生的埃尔西时我就迷上了她。”back example: i couldn’t forget the olympic games in los angeles displaying to theworld the strength and the beauty of chinese sports.unit | five language points2 important words1. present v. to give or hand over sth. to sb., esp. formally at a ceremony 献给;送给 e.g.
we presented our teacher with a bunch of flower./we presented a bunch of flower to our teacher.
the school authorities presented the outstanding students with honour certificates.backunit | five language points2 important words2. recognize v. to admit 承认;认可 e.g. are qualifications gained in china recognized in britain this method of teaching english is widely recognized.backunit | five language points2 important words3. represent v. to stand for, be a symbol or equivalent of (sb./sth.) 代表;象征 e.g. the pigeon represents peace. what does x represent in this equationbackunit | five language points2 important words4. amuse v. to make (sb.) laugh or smile 逗(某人)笑 e.g. we were all amused by the joke. he has tried every way to amuse that poor girl.backunit | five language points2 important words5. soar v. to rise sharply 急速上升 e.g. the fighter soared into the air with a loud noise. prices began to soar at the news that the war was coming.backunit | five language points2 important words6. promote v. to publicize (sth.) in order to sell it 宣传(某物)以促进销售 e.g.
tv ads are one of the most effective ways to promote new products.
nowadays, college students must learn how to promote themselves.backunit | five read and think1 choose the best answers according to the passage.c 1) as a famous advertising icon, elsie the cow is __________. a. a cow born in new york city b. a cow raised by the borden company c. a cow fictionally created for advertising d. a cow loved by most americans d 2) mothers love elsie so much because she is __________. a. the best known and loved advertising icon b. on the list of top 0 icons of all time c. known for her smile and warm eyes d. the symbol of fresh dairy qualityunit | five 3) what was the medium that contributed most to elsie’s stardom c a. fictions. b. newspapers. c. radio. d. tv. a 4) elsie formed her family in 1940 because _________. a. she couldn’t cope with the busy schedule b. people requested that she have a family c. borden was expanding its business d . americans liked to see that she had a family5) according to the passage, successful advertising depends mainly on c __________. a. the image it presents b. the channel it uses c. the trustworthiness it conveys d. the hardships it experiencesunit | five read and think 2 read the passage again and complete the following resumé for elsie.female new york citymarriedthe world’s fairtop 10 advertising iconsbackunit | five read and complete 3 complete the following sentences with the proper forms of the words given below.1) as clouds cleared for unseasonable sunny days, the temperature __________ soared to 80°f. 2) the invention of the wheel was a __________ in the history of mankind. milestone 3) the repetition of the same __________ on television is something we have to commercial bear every night. 4) a balanced diet provides enough __________ for your body. nutrition 5) the boys __________ themselves by playing hide-and-seek games. amusedbackunit | five 6) she was so __________ that everyone was attracted to her immediately. charming 7) to install the software, please double-click the setup __________. icon 8) the chairperson __________ the gold cup to the youngest winner in the history presented of the game. 9) she has a dreamy __________ nature and believes in all fascinating fairy tales. romantic 10) the flower __________ the poet’s love. symbolizesunit | five 4 fill in the blanks with the proper forms of the following words given in the box.pleasure it’s a 1 __________ to be here to celebrate elsie’s historic day. elsie is still going strong after 60 years in her latest role as the trusted 2 icon __________ for american dairy brands. there’s no doubt that the world and the industry appearance dairy 3 __________ have changed since elsie made her first live 4 __________ at the 1939 world’s fair in new york. and today, elsie is attracting new consumers generations of 5 __________ to the borden dairy products. in fact, elsie is starting new television 6 __________ and the theme of the ad commercials 7 __________ is ―borden brings the dairy home.‖ the 8 __________ of our new campaign launch commercials marked the return of elsie to tv after five years. as the 20th century comes to a close, elsie is ready to 9 __________ her career extend through the 21st century. it’s been a great run for this very special cow. she’s made the leap from barnyard to broadway. that’s an 10 __________ accomplishment back that we can all cheer!unit | five read and translate 5 translate the following sentences into english, using the proper forms of the words or phrases given in the brackets. 1) 上学期王钢表现出色,被授予优秀学生的称号。( award) last semester, wang gang was awarded the title of outstanding student for his excellent performance. 2) 同学们在教师节给老师做了一张贺卡,以表示对老师过去一年工作的感谢。 (symbolize) on teachers’ day, the students made a greeting card for their teacher, which symbolized their appreciation of what the teacher had accomplished in the past year. 3) 孩子们听了关于那只猫的故事都笑了起来。(amuse) the children were amused by the story about the cat. 4) 连续几个晴天, 气温骤然升高。(soar) the continual sunny days made the temperature soar sharply. 5) 饭后散步有助于消化。( digestion) walking after dinner promotes digestion.backunit | five read and simulate 6 pay attention to the italicized parts in the english sentences and translate the chinese sentences by simulating the structure of the english sentences. what moms have recognized about elsie for the past six decades are the fresh daisies around her neck. what we admire about him is his strong self-confidence. 雷锋无私的品质赢得了人们的爱戴。 我们目前做生意所欠缺的就是诚信(credibility)。what people admire about lei feng is his selflessness.what we lack currently when doing business is credibility.unit | five read and simulate 6 pay attention to the italicized parts in the english sentences and translate the chinese sentences by simulating the structure of the english sentences. since her birth 60 years ago, elsie has been synonymous with dairy products that families can trust to deliver wholesome nutrition, great taste and freshness. since it came into being, the computer has almost been synonymous with advanced technology. 自从公牛队(bulls)第三次赢得冠军,乔丹(michael jordan)就成为nba的 代名词。 自从他的事迹被宣传(publicize)后,孔繁森就几乎成了杰出党员的代名词。since the bulls won their third championship, michael jordan has been synonymous with the nba.since his story was publicized, kong fansen has almost been synonymous with the outstanding party member.unit | five read and simulate 6 pay attention to the italicized parts in the english sentences and translate the chinese sentences by simulating the structure of the english sentences. it began when i first set my eyes on her at the 1939 world’s fair in new york. my love for her songs began when i first heard her beautiful voice ten yearsago.当第一次尝试毒品(drug)后,他的不幸生活就开始了。 当第一次接触画笔,他的传奇一生就开始了。his misery in life began when he first tried the drugs.his romantic life began when he first touched a painting brush.unit | five read and simulate 6 pay attention to the italicized parts in the english sentences and translate the chinese sentences by simulating the structure of the english sentences. the ads were so successful that they began appearing in newspapers. listeners were so amused by the commercial that they began sending fan mail to elsie. 这部电影非常精彩,我还想再欣赏一次。我们被他的描述深深打动了,打算到丽江去旅游。the film was so wonderful that i wanted to enjoy it again.we were so attracted by his description that we were planning to travel on lijiang.unit | five read and simulate 6 pay attention to the italicized parts in the english sentences and translate the chinese sentences by simulating the structure of the english sentences. even today, her daisy chain necklace symbolizes dairy freshness to moms throughout the country. even today, the nobel prize symbolizes the greatest achievements in science. 直到今天,玫瑰仍然象征着爱情。 直到今天,战争仍然象征着毁灭。even today, a bunch of roses symbolizes love.even today, war symbolizes destruction.backunit | five passage iiinformation related to the reading passagemore information on experiential brandingthe emerging of experiential branding is due to the limitation of marketers’promoting the ―features and benefits‖ of their brands. with so many products of similar functionality and quality on the market, managers need to provide customers with desirable ―experiences‖. they usually adopt five types of experiences - sense, feel, think, act and relate - and the alternatives for providing them, including television and print advertising, retail environments and websites.backunit | five passage iiexperiential brandingegyptians began branding cattle 4 000 years ago. josiah wedgwood branded pottery in 18thcentury england. proctor & gamble pioneered modern brand management in the 1930s. today, branding has become the hot concept in management circles. and it’s only getting hotter. 1as our expert panel predicts, the brands may soon be everything, from marketing and sales to operations and engineering, if it hasn’t already. under this circumstance, jungle assembled 4 marketing experts to put branding under a microscope... and to discuss what the future of branding is. anchor: recently, we’ve seen a wave of so-called emotional or experiential branding. what’s next bahr thompson: experiential branding will move upward. i think of the bookstore that i go to and spend a premium at versus amazon. the shop embodies what i love about books because i feel literary when i go in there. i think of the local russian woman i go to for my facials instead of going to an aveda. that’s about the personal one-on-one relationship we have. that’s about intimacy. 2 the only way a small retailer stays alive is by delivering an ultimate personal experience to the consumer.unit | five anchor: are you saying that large companies will try to mimic that intimacy schmitt: that’s exactly what’s happening. i love my little boutique hotel in london, but there’s a hotel company coming along, a big, big, big one from new york and they’re creating a branded hotel out of that little place. so you can love all these things until a clever marketer comes along and says, “oh, maybe other people will love that, too,” and then creates a mass-market brand out of it. then you might not like it anymore, right we seem to be at the point where everything can be branded. people are brands and even countries are brands. but at some point, people will get sick of it. yes, everything will be a brand, but that does not mean that people will always care about brands. golder: but in some ways branding will become more important. as technology enables 3 products to reach parity more quickly, branding will be one’s only point of differentiation. on the other hand, if consumers are smart and are really buying what the brand is rather than what the brand image is, that will make the brand unit | less important. that’s the problem proctor & gamble is facing today: brandingfive exercises schmitt: i want to talk a bit about another trend i see in experiential branding: marketing toward the employees of a given corporation. there is this notion of “living the brand,” of truly organizing around the brand, by creating the right experiences for your own employees. anchor: so a few years from now branding will be directed toward employees as much as consumers a kind of internal branding bahr thompson: right. business strategy and branding won’t be two distinct concepts riding on parallel tracks anymore. they’ll be intertwined. branding will be fully integrated into business operations. gob: i worked with abercrombie & fitch for 4 years, when they started to turn around the business, and the first thing ceo michael jeffries did was ask every employee to wear the company’s clothes. that made a big difference. he wanted people internally to believe in the product. 4 and the people who wanted to work at the company were the people who wanted those clothes. so quite naturally, a culture can be created that’s very homogeneous and still connected with the market they want back to serve.unit | five language points1 explanation of difficult sentences 1.(para. 1) as our expert panel predicts, the brands may soon be everything, from marketing and sales to operations and engineering, if it hasn’t already. analysis: in the conditional clause if it hasn’t already, be everything is omitted to avoid repetition. translation: 根据我们专家组的预测,即使现在还没有实现,但是品牌很快会 主宰一切,包括市场、销售、运营和工程各个方面。 example: the impact of the internet on society might be significant, if it hasn’t already.backunit | five language points1 explanation of difficult sentences2. (para. 3) the only way a small retailer stays alive is by delivering an ultimate personal experience to the consumer. analysis: the subject complement of this sentence is a prepositional phrase by delivering..., and since by is a preposition, the verb deliver takes its v-ing form. translation: 小店得以生存的唯一方式就是给顾客送上一份最佳的个人体验。 example: the reason for the rapid increase in the output is by introducing the modern assembly line from japan.backunit | five language points1 explanation of difficult sentences3. (para. 6) on the other hand, if consumers are smart and are really buying what the brand is rather than what the brand image is, that will make the brand less important. analysis: the be+v-ing are buying in the if-clause takes two objects, both being what-clauses connected by rather than.translation:另一方面,如果消费者聪明理智,确实只购买货真价实的品牌产 品,而不是追逐徒有虚名的品牌形象,品牌就会显得没那么重要。example: it is what you can do rather than what you can say that matters in the job-hunting market. backunit | five language points1 explanation of difficult sentences4. (para. 10) and the people who wanted to work at the company were the people who wanted those clothes. analysis: by adopting two relative clauses to modify the same word people, the sentence conveys an emphasized meaning to its readers. translation:想成为公司一员的人都是想买这些服装的人。 example: the students who desire to be outstanding in their future career are the students who persist in their goals.backunit | five language points2 important words1. circle n. group of people who are connected by having the same interest, profession, etc. (有共同兴趣、职业等的人形成的)圈子;阶层 e.g.
she has a large circle of friends.
many young people dream of joining a circle of entertainers.backunit | five language points2 important words2. assemble v. to (cause people or things to) to collect 聚集 e.g. everyone is supposed to assemble in the lobby at 2:00 p.m. the police have made every effort to assemble the evidence.backunit | five language points2 important words3. notion n. concept 观念 e.g. we hold the notion of personal equality and liberty. the changing society developed a new notion about employment.backunit | five language points2 important words4. internal a. of the inside 内部的;内在的 e.g. we decide to have an internal investigation to find the spy. the internal workings of a machine are quite complicated.backunit | five language points2 important words5. distinct a. separate 不同的e.g. the two boys are twins, but they are distinct in personality. mozart’s style is quite distinct from hayden’s.backunit | five language points2 important words6. integrate v. to combine sth. in such a way that it becomes fully a part of sth. else 使成一体 e.g.
as a newcomer, you should try to integrate into the new environment.
the buildings are well integrated with the landscape.backunit | five read and judge 7 decide whether the following statements are true (t) or false (f) according to the passage. 1 experts predict that people’s enthusiasm for brands will soon die down. 2 the key to survival for a small retailer is to follow a big company. 3 the branded hotel created by a hotel company has promoted the charm ofthe little hotel. 4 when everything has a brand, our awareness of brands might be lessened. 5 the problem p & g is confronted with is that its brand has become less valuable. 6 a new trend of experiential branding is branding through the company’s own employees. 7 business and branding are very distinct from each other. 8 employees of abercrombie & fitch wear the company’s clothes simply back because they are the employees’ working uniforms.unit | five read and rewrite 8 write a summary of the passage by answering the following questions. 1) what is the hot concept in management circles 2) what is the predicted development of branding3) what is the relationship between branding and technology4) what do smart consumers think of branding 5) how do people differentiate between branding and the brand 6) what is the relationship between business strategy and branding 7) what is a new trend of branding today 8) what is the objective of experiential brandingunit | five key: nowadays, branding has become the hot concept in management circles. some predict that experiential branding will be the future of branding development. and because technology enables products to reach parity quickly,branding will be the only point of differentiation. on the other hand, ifconsumers are smart and are really buying what the brand is rather than what the brand image is, that will make the brand less important. in this way branding will be fully integrated into business operations. and emotional or experiential branding aims at intimacy, the personal one-on-one relationship, in order to serve the purpose of experiential branding, that is to make people internally believe in the product.backunit | five read and translate 9 translate the following sentences into english, using the proper forms of the words given in the brackets. 1) 这种床用一把螺丝刀就可以很容易地安装好。(assemble) this kind of bed can be assembled easily with a screwdriver. 2) 她体现了一个医生的全部优良品质。(embody) she embodies all the best qualities of a doctor. 3) 当你遇到困难时,你那些所谓的亲密朋友都到哪儿去了(so-called) where are your so-called intimate friends when you are confronted with difficulties 4) 厂家推荐的这些钢笔的零售价是18元一支,批发价是12元一支。(recommend) the manufacturer-recommended retail price for the pens is 18 yuan each and the wholesale price is 12 yuan each. 5) 尽管他们是兄弟,但性格却完全不同。(distinct) although they are brothers, their personalities are quite distinct.backunit | five section v appreciating culture tipsunit | five &&&&
05:38:50 05:33:22 05:12:51 01:29:15 15:16:06 13:53:41 12:44:53 12:18:46 11:51:29 10:31:23

我要回帖

更多关于 新编实用英语综合教程 的文章

随机推荐