We are moving to Australiathis time next yearr

Accessibility links
Why are so many Britons leaving Australia?
By Mark Bosworth
These are external links and will open in a new window
Close share panel
Thousands of Britons emigrate to Australia every year in search of a better life, but now more and more are deciding down under is not for them and returning home. The same trend seems to be happening to Australians deserting the UK. Why? Despite a fierce sporting rivalry between the British nations - especially England - and Australia, the countries enjoy very close ties. It's a bond cemented by the thousands of Britons and Australians who travel to the other side of the world in search of a new life.For many, it's a dream come true to visit and eventually settle in a country that's far away but also very familiar. Britons are attracted by the outdoor lifestyle, sunshine and sense of space, while Australians are drawn to the history, the adventure and the UK's proximity to the European mainland.Many end up settling down in their new country but in recent years, for an increasing number, it's not the one-way trip they had intended.Despite Australia's booming economy, more than 7,000 British people left the country for good in 2009-10 - the largest emigration recorded in recent memory - according to figures from Australia's immigration department.
Between 2005 and 2010, nearly 107,000 Britons settled in Australia but during the same period more than 30,000 decided to permanently leave. And the feeling appears to be mutual, with fewer Australians arriving in the UK.The difficult economic situation in the UK goes some way to explain why fewer Australians should be heading there, but it's more surprising that the expat British should be leaving a booming country in exchange for one still struggling to recover from a recession.Chief among the reasons why the British are leaving include missing friends and family, and lacking a real sense of belonging, says Prof Roger Burrows, a sociologist from the University of York who has studied the phenomenon. "The people who don't settle have always lived close to their friends and family [in the UK] so any move comes as a shock."If they live in a bungalow in the suburbs of Adelaide, it gets lonely. There isn't a culture of going for a drink after work and the TV is terrible."
When I was in London in July this year it was much cheaper to eat out than in Sydney and MelbourneJono Coleman, Radio DJ
Some people went to Australia for the heat but ended up hating the warmth, the flies, and having to cover the kids in sun cream all the time, he says."It's not about living by the coast in the sun - it's about living in a dull flat in suburbs that don't have any real infrastructure."For some migrants, moving to Australia can be a source of sorrow and regret for people for the rest of their lives, he says.Not everyone leaves with bad memories though. Tom Armstrong, a 41-year-old father, moved back to London this year after four happy years in Sydney, because of a new job opportunity at his media company. But a big bonus was being reunited with friends and family in the UK."We moved out to Australia because my wife wanted to be closer to her family, and we had four fantastic years there. It was a wonderful lifestyle with friendly people and a very high quality of life."If I could get all of my friends and family out there to live, and I had the right job, then living in Australia would be a no-brainer."Some British people complain about a lack of culture and history, he says, but that depends where you live. "Sydney and Melbourne are world-class cities with plenty of great things to see and do, but outside the big urban areas life is definitely less colourful and probably more of an acquired taste. The biggest drawbacks for Brits in my opinion is the long distance from friends and family."Martin Gilbert, 47, will move back to the UK with his English partner next year after 24 years in Australia.
By Martin GilbertAfter 24 years down under
Australia has been good to me.
Certainly I've had some good times here but there is something fundamental and soulful missing here for me.
My parents are getting older.
I miss seeing my friends' kids growing up but I think it is the small day-to-day things you miss rather than major events.
Australia has become more and more expensive. In fact I think it is more expensive than parts of the UK.
I think life in England is tougher and more competitive but that is a good thing sometimes.
Here I feel like I'm on the outside looking in and don't really understand why.
I think people come to Australia expecting it to be England with sunshine. But nobody is lounging in the sun, day in day out.
"Australia has been good to me. Certainly I've had some good times here but there is something fundamental and soulful missing here for me." Life in England is tougher and more competitive, he believes, and that's something he has missed. Plus he hasn't been able to shake feeling like an outsider, even after all this time, and Australia has become more expensive in recent years.It used to be that you could come to Australia from the UK for a cheaper lifestyle, says radio DJ Jono Coleman, but no more."All of the basic commodities - bread, fruit, milk - are more expensive. When I was in London in July this year it was much cheaper to eat out than in Sydney and Melbourne."The cost of petrol has also risen. A friend of mine recently took his two children to the cinema and it cost $85 - about ?40 - just to see a movie."Many Brits came here expecting a land of milk and honey. If you had pounds you were like the king of the castle but not anymore. Now they're saying: 'Hang on, it's too expensive here.'"Coleman falls into the "ping-pong Pom" category - he was born in the UK, raised in Australia and then returned to London to host a radio breakfast show, only to head down under again in 2007 to be near his very frail mother.
By Carol DriverEditor, TNT Magazine, London
While still coming in their droves, there's not much doubt there are fewer Aussies than there used to be working during this time, or staying beyond their temporary visa for employment.
The Australian economy is booming. Using their strong dollar to buy lots of weak pounds, the Aussies no longer have quite so much need to work to pay their way while they're over here and that means fewer travellers take temp jobs such as pulling pints at the local pub.
Some of our readers have told us they wanted to stay in the UK at the end of their two-year visa, but finding work was too difficult at a time of rising unemployment.
Others cite limited career progression or low wages (one even suggested it was a lack of good coffee!) coupled with expensive public transport and rising house prices.
So for some, the lure of a growing economy, good job prospects and a decent salary - not to mention guaranteed sunshine and beautiful beaches - back home is too much to ignore, at least for the moment.
We know that the love affair between the UK and Australia is far from over. It's an ongoing relationship which, like any relationship, has its ups and downs. But we're both in it for the long haul.
Many other Australians have done the same thing as Coleman in the last few years and headed home, but usually for economic reasons, citing fewer job opportunities. More are also staying away - about 14,000 fewer Australians came to the UK last year compared with 2005."For young Aussies, it will always be a rite of passage to travel to Britain on a working holiday visa," says Carol Driver, editor of TNT - a free weekly magazine aimed at Antipodeans in the UK. But fewer Australians are following that well-trodden path from the southern hemisphere."The lure of a growing economy, good job prospects and a decent salary - not to mention guaranteed sunshine and beautiful beaches - back home is too much to ignore, at least for the moment."Despite these recent trends, many restless young Britons and Australians will continue to strike out for the other country in the years ahead.Now in his fourth stint living in one of the two countries, Coleman says it's hard to place one of them above the other. But for him, Australia just shades it."If you're broke, where would you rather be? Sitting in a park in the rain in London, or in a park in Sydney looking at the ocean?"
Share this story
Top Stories
Elsewhere on the BBC
8 tennis-inspired books to enjoy in the sun
Sign up for our newsletter;" class="loginbox">By continuing to use the site, you agree to our use of
and to abide by our .We in turn value your personal details in accordance with our .
or . Registered visitors get fewer ads.
| Page: Moving from Australia to Swansea next year 03:59 - Sep 25 with 3095 viewsWhat are the chances of my and the other half being able to get season tickets? Or is it still a closed book on that front? Forum celebrityPoll: 0Moving from Australia to Swansea next year on 04:08 - Sep 25 with 3082 viewsyou're going the wrong way
0 Moving from Australia to Swansea next year
on 04:23 - Sep 25 with 3072 viewsMoving from Australia to Swansea next year on 04:08 - Sep 25 by you're going the wrong way
Its only for a couple of years, got a business to sort out. ill be back then Forum celebrityPoll:
0 Moving from Australia to Swansea next year on 04:27 - Sep 25 with 3065 viewsNo information from me, but I'm jealous...
on 15:45 - Sep 25 with 2562 viewsMoving from Australia to Swansea next year on 04:27 - Sep 25 by No information from me, but I'm jealous... Do you live near the coast.
We could do a house swap for a couple of years and you could use my season tickets
Sorry didn't realise it would quote that message / [Post edited 25 Sep ]
on 16:34 - Sep 25 with 2463 viewsMoving from Australia to Swansea next year on 15:45 - Sep 25 by Do you live near the coast.
We could do a house swap for a couple of years and you could use my season tickets
Sorry didn't realise it would quote that message / [Post edited 25 Sep ]I live near Washington DC, USA. I was investigating changing jobs including relocating to Wales (or even England), but the wages seem extremely low.
on 16:45 - Sep 25 with 2417 viewsMoving from Australia to Swansea next year on 16:34 - Sep 25 by I live near Washington DC, USA. I was investigating changing jobs including relocating to Wales (or even England), but the wages seem extremely low. That depends on what job you do! Also, it's difficult to do a straight like-for-like comparison on just wages. You need to take living costs, taxes, health insurance, etc into account.
Even if you aren't going to make your fortune, it's always good to spend some time living and working in another country for a while.
0 Moving from Australia to Swansea next year on 19:47 - Sep 25 with 2237 viewsI've gone the other way moving from Swansea to just outside Athens, Georgia so the tinternet is a godsend for me at the Mo, but roll on Saturday as the game will be on NBC ! Premier Snork now watching from the USAPoll:
on 19:52 - Sep 25 with 2214 viewsMoving from Australia to Swansea next year on 16:34 - Sep 25 by I live near Washington DC, USA. I was investigating changing jobs including relocating to Wales (or even England), but the wages seem extremely low. It's worth it...
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
to get fewer adsMoving from Australia to Swansea next year
on 23:52 - Sep 25 with 2033 viewsMoving from Australia to Swansea next year on 16:34 - Sep 25 by I live near Washington DC, USA. I was investigating changing jobs including relocating to Wales (or even England), but the wages seem extremely low. We might be having an appointment at NIH in Maryland next year.
The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.Poll:
on 14:46 - Sep 26 with 1871 viewsMoving from Australia to Swansea next year on 19:52 - Sep 25 by It's worth it...
I live there ... nice photoshop
on 22:46 - Sep 26 with 1699 viewsMoving from Australia to Swansea next year on 23:52 - Sep 25 by We might be having an appointment at NIH in Maryland next year.
Let me know, NIH is very close to where I work.
Happy to show you about Bethesda - couple of nice bars and restaurants.
& FansNetwork 2018Access denied | www.bobinoz.com used Cloudflare to restrict access
Please enable cookies.
What happened?
The owner of this website (www.bobinoz.com) has banned your access based on your browser's signature (ba3a786e-ua98).Living in Australia - Staff | Deakin
Living in Australia
When you arrive in Australia, what can you expect?
With our beautiful beaches, crystal blue waters and pristine rainforests, Australia is the sixth-largest country in the world and has one of the lowest population densities per square kilometre.
Australia's national currency is the Australian dollar, which comes in notes denominations of $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100. Coins come in 5, 10, 20 and 50 cents, and one and two dollar denominations. In 1996 Australia became the first country in the world to have a complete series of polymer (plastic) notes.
Australia experiences temperate weather for most of the year, but the climate can vary due to the size of our continent. The northern states typically experience warm, humid weather much of the time, with the southern states experiencing cooler winters.December to F March to M June to A and September to November is spring.Victoria’s weather is marked by a range of different climate zones, from the hot, dry regions of the northwest to the alpine snowfields in the northeast. Melbourne has a reputation for its changeable weather, often referred to as having ‘four seasons in one day'.
Culture and customs
Australia’s culture consists of a rich tapestry of traditions, legends and folklore, as well as a love of sport and the great outdoors. Australians love to take advantage of the weather by enjoying outdoor social events, and Melbourne in particular has access to some of the world’s most famous sporting events, including:the Australian Tennis Openthe Australian Formula One Grand Prixthe Australian Football League Grand Final&the Melbourne Cup horse race.Australia defines itself by its Indigenous heritage, a vibrant mix of cultures, innovative ideas and a thriving arts scene.
Hotspots and things to do here
Melbourne, Victoria’s coastal capital, is a city of stately 19th-century buildings and tree-lined boulevards. In the central business district you can explore laneways and arcades. There are also cafes and restaurants dotted throughout the city.&Southbank, the Melbourne Arts Precinct, is the site of Arts Centre Melbourne (a performing arts complex) and the National Gallery of Victoria, which displays Australian and international art.&Melbourne is packed with attractions, from the famous MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) and lush parks to grand libraries and museums, all wrapped up in a vibrant atmosphere.Geelong
Situated on the shores of Port Phillip Bay, Geelong is the gateway to the Bellarine Peninsula and the famous Great Ocean Road.&Wandering along the stunning waterfront of Victoria's second-largest city, you’ll pass public artworks, landscaped gardens and fine dining eateries. Take a dip in the art deco-style pool or kick back in the promenade complex and restored pavilion at Eastern Beach.Warrnambool
Warrnambool is a regional centre and former port centre along the Great Ocean Road. It has a dramatic location on a plateau behind a steep bluff, defined by rivers to the east and west, overlooking the sheltered Lady Bay.&There are interesting historical buildings and attractive streetscapes, but perhaps the biggest surprise is the range of superb beaches right at the city's front door.&High-quality local produce is celebrated in many of Warrnambool's best restaurants, cafes and bistros, and are a must for any foodie.
Things you'll need to know about
You might also like &移民顾问在线解答
楼主,你好。我,女,31岁,2004年国内top10大学电子工程硕士毕业,毕业后在上海工作两年,半导体制程整合工程师,去年九月来新加坡工作,还是半导体工程师,现在正打算申请新加坡的PR,英文一般,六级。考过托福,600。不过已经过期了。我先生,31岁,是我的校友,98年电力工程本科毕业,毕业后就读了本专业的工程硕士。工作九年了,现在上海一个全球百强外企作software方面的工作,也应该算engineer吧,当个小leader。我们有个两岁的小女儿。我希望明年能申请,如果我们的条件可以的话,我现在就开始准备雅思了。请帮忙评估一下我们的情况。谢谢!
大家好!楼主好!借一个地方托件事情可以吗?/-----------------------朋友们中秋节快乐!有在悉尼的人士吗?请您注意悉尼的服装设计师行业的两个人好吗?女设计师叫孙秀萝,男的叫王建军,都四五十岁,山东济南人士,如果有消息请告诉一下好吗?大家和他们失去联系了,都在找他们。知道他们消息的请发邮件:.cn, 谢谢!---------拜托!
To:S--您好,澳大利亚的会计师,要求必须通过澳大利亚CPA的认证,如果是中国大陆的CPA您也只可以免考一些科目。如果您可以申请到香港的CPA那也可以。也就是说您必须通过香港或澳大利亚的CPA的认证才可以。祝快乐To:J--澳大利亚对医学的主体非常严格,对中国的毕业证书的认证也比较严格,如果是大专学历,那澳大利亚更难承认。祝快乐To:俏--对于澳大利亚的技工类留学,我们可以帮助您申请学校。最低英语要求是5分。高中毕业,或等于高中毕业的学历。因为专业的不同,年龄会有些限制,不过总体,年龄要求不大。祝快乐T0:人--您二位都得以工程师做为申请的职业,这个是IEA的评估会。要求也会比较严格。不但,在评估时就要求至少英语6分的成绩。还要求您必须写英语的CDR。这二项对中国客户都比较难。祝快乐
rotomigration,你好!我的专业是计算机,学历是博士。结婚,丈夫也是计算机专业,学历是硕士。现在外企工作,工作内容为软件开发。我们想移民,应该如何申请。
To:江--我回信您,请您查收您的信箱祝快乐
我是机电专业的本科 学士学位 刚开始工作 如果工作一年以后可以申请移民么?还有我朋友 他也是跟我一个专业 学士学位 但是他的工作比较不一样 是飞机维修 请问什么情况可以申请移民?谢谢了
我是机电专业的本科 学士学位 刚开始工作 如果工作一年以后可以申请移民么?还有我朋友 他也是跟我一个专业 学士学位 但是他的工作比较不一样 是飞机维修 请问什么情况可以申请移民?谢谢了
TO:步生烟您好,“机电专业”只凭这个说法,我们很难确定是做什么的,当然要想与澳大利亚的职业配上那就更难了。并移民是综合的分数,所以只这点信息,我们无法给您回复。如方便可以填写一下《技术移民评估表》Email:http://www.rotomigration.com
Hi rotomigration,Thanks in advance for your kind and free consultation.本人男,31,名校研究生毕业,专业是civil engineering 的一个分支(Geotechnical engineering,这是全国重点专业,不知他们分不分这么细?).毕业后在专业软件公司里做软件开发和销售共计两年,后从事结构设计工作两年(在全国知名设计单位),再在全球知名专业软件公司从事专业软件开发:产品设计,到目前共一年多。想移,问问怎么做?雅思还没考,英语是目前工作语言,预计4个6没问题。另外,我妻子也是名校毕业,名企工作。Thanks again.Best Regards
您好,我男朋友是一家美资软件公司的资深软件工程师,26岁,明年在职硕士毕业,已有三年工作经验,精通C,请问技术移民的话,还有什么要求,需要准备哪些资料
TO:病--9月1日,澳大利亚刚刚改的政策,如果是澳大利亚所列的12所大毕业2年内的学生,可以很快拿到一个476visa,只对工程师类的学生的。所以如果您想更多确定,请查看我们的网站,或发Email给我,填写技术移民评估表。Email:网站:www.rotomigration.comTO:M--澳大利亚对IT业大部分要求是有4年的工作经验。所以您必须证明至少四年的全职工作经验才可以申请。英语必须6祝大家节日快乐!!!!
To Who it may concern:Dear Sir or Madam,I have a few questions about moving to australia. My boyfriend is an australian. We have been together for nearly 3 years. We plan to get married next year.One of my friends told me it is a little bit easierto move under the name of marriage but I am not sure. As to move to another country is not a easy thing to do .Actually I have no idea what do I need to prepare for this big move.
I am an English major, have been working for more than 3 years. 2 years in a private company. 1 years in a foreign interprise. I now work as the assistant to managing director in a German company. I am not sure these can make it easier for me to move but I want to hear some of yours advice. What else do I need to prepare. As you know my bf is 10 years older than me. Will the immigration Authority think that I am using this man to move? Do we need to prove to them that this relationship between me and my bf is real? Thanking you in advance!
I think I need to apply for tourist visa at the very begining then if we get married i can start to apply for the australian citizenship. My friend told me that I have to experience something like a 2 years intership then i can be a real australian...means that i can enjoy all the welfares etc. I want to continue work in china so if we get married and still choose to work in china, will that be a problem for me to apply for the australian citizenship? Many thanks! If i want to apply for the citizenship do i also need to pass some English exams?
大家好。我的情况是这样的,03年去了日本留学。07年4月回国,大学经营专业。目前在考导游证。计划3年内移民。我这样的情况,如何办理比较好?
接上篇补充:27岁,男性,单身日语1级,英语一般。只是出国之前工作了3年。3-5年后以什么职业移民比较好?目前刚回国一切还没有确定。加拿大有亲戚,是否移民加国更好?谢谢大家
您好!请教几个问题,请百忙中给以指教。1、想165投资移民。我和妻子在事业和企业单位工作,资金来源主要是投资股市十五年,累积资产千万以上,在500万后开始保留交割单。资金符合要求吗?2、手头都是人民币,如何以澳币形式投资?难度大吗?3、能够获得新洲或者维州的担保吗?4、在澳洲能够继续从事国内的股票运作吗?5、国内的证券收益需要在澳洲纳税吗?6、经济条件已经可以不工作了,但在澳洲临时居住4年后满足转永居的要求吗?如果必须在澳开办公司,投资澳洲证券市场可以吗?7、想明年申办,后年成行,孩子刚好上高中。能够享受免费高中教育吗?高中毕业时还在临时居住,上大学算什么类型学生?8、临时居住时可以享受医疗福利吗?9、我是清华本科,在事业单位,妻子成人本科,企业部门经理。我做股票。由谁做主申请好?问题多多,多谢多谢!
楼主,我想问问我的情况、,我今年读研究生二年级,25岁,如果想去澳大利亚有什么好的点子吗?顺便说声,我工作过一年,当老师的,我女朋友现在教书,年龄跟我差不多,要是想出去大概能花多少钱?谢谢楼主
To:一秒--您好,配偶移民,是澳大利亚移民比较简单的一种。所以如果您可以以配偶移民的身份,那是相对比较简单的。而澳大利亚的有一种签证,是预准结婚签证。大体就是给你9个月的时间,你到澳大利亚去与你的朋友结婚。如果可以您可以直接以这种签证到澳大利亚。当然这个都是担保的,也就是说,必须你朋友担保你。澳大利亚是个法治国家,一些以法律条款为准。不会说,因为你的朋友比你大10岁,就被拒签。只会说,因为您提供假的资料。所以你们是真实的。那不要怕。当然资料的准备是非常重要的。祝快乐
To:t---1、想165投资移民。我和妻子在事业和企业单位工作,资金来源主要是投资股市十五年,累积资产千万以上,在500万后开始保留交割单。资金符合要求吗?165的资金是要证明您有$112.5万澳币。其实有$75万澳币要可以投入澳大利亚的指定债券。2、手头都是人民币,如何以澳币形式投资?难度大吗?投入$75万澳币,在澳大利亚的指定债券,难度主要在中国方。问题不是很大。3、能够获得新洲或者维州的担保吗?165类,大都可以获得担保,其实担保相对比较好拿。主要看移民局。4、在澳洲能够继续从事国内的股票运作吗?这个是您的自由,不过如果是这样,我们建议,做165以您为主申请人。做893就以您的配偶做。这样最好。5、国内的证券收益需要在澳洲纳税吗?要看您怎么操作,做的好,当然不用。6、经济条件已经可以不工作了,但在澳洲临时居住4年后满足转永居的要求吗?如果必须在澳开办公司,投资澳洲证券市场可以吗?165类,是澳大利亚要求您必须把$75万澳币放入指定债券,4年退还本金。每半年有利息。163类,才是要开设公司。7、想明年申办,后年成行,孩子刚好上高中。能够享受免费高中教育吗?高中毕业时还在临时居住,上大学算什么类型学生?我的建议越快越好,因为移民政策是不断变化的。只要您一拿到165签证。孩子入学与澳大利亚人一样。8、临时居住时可以享受医疗福利吗?您一拿到165签证,大部分福利与澳大利亚人一样医疗也是,只有几个必须2年后才能享受。(失业、养老等)9、我是清华本科,在事业单位,妻子成人本科,企业部门经理。我做股票。由谁做主申请好?以谁的名义做的股票,必须以谁做主申请人。澳大利亚移民局的调查也是比较认真的。所以当然您做主申请人才有资格。如有问题可以随时联系我们Email:http:www.rotomigraton.com祝快乐
To:我--澳大利亚移民最基本的要求现在是近24个月,必须有12个月的工作经验。如果您不能满足,那是一定不能移民的。因为我没能看到您及您朋友的详细资料,我不能给您准确回复。如有问题可以随时联系我们Email:http:www.rotomigraton.com祝快乐
大家还在看

我要回帖

更多关于 next year 的文章

随机推荐