阅读已结束,如果下载本文需要使用2下载券
想免费下载本文?
下载文档到电脑,查找使用更方便
还剩5页未读,继续阅读
你可能喜欢当前位置: > >
The gloves are off?
中国日报网
Reader question:
Please explain this sentence: “So the gloves are off now in the battle for power in Egypt.” Particularly “the gloves”, what gloves?”
My comments:
First of all, the gloves in “the gloves are off” refer to gloves that boxers wear in a match.
The sentence means that things are turning ugly in Egypt. People are taking their gloves off in the battle for political power. You know, if they were all boxers, they were taking off their gloves and fighting with their bare fists.
In other words, they’re not minding moral scruples any more. They will do any unthinkable thing to grab power to run that country.
That’s a terrible thing to say, I know. But since we’re talking about people battling for political power, I think it’s not terribly off the mark or inappropriate to say something like that.
Anyways, let’s turn to talk a bit more about the idiom “the gloves are off”. If you’ve watched any boxing match on TV, you must have seen the thick heavy gloves that boxers wear. The gloves are made of leather and padded with foam. They look bloated and kind of soft. That’s the idea. By design, the gloves are thus made in order to soften the blow when they land on a player’s head or body.
One’s boxing prowess, you see, is measured by the hits he (or she, as more and more women have joined the fray) lands on the opponent, not by how hard and hurtful each punch is, especially in amateur boxing.
This said, harder punches still count as the more hurtful punches are sometimes able to knock opponents down, and out or simply force an opponent to quit.
Remember, though, boxers are not allowed to take their gloves off and fight with bare fists in a real match. It’s illegal.
Anyways, “the gloves are off” is a good metaphor. Whenever people say “the gloves are off”, you understand they’ll do anything now, anything to win, by fair means or foul. The rulebook is thrown out the window. The law of the jungle takes over. In other words, anything goes.
Here are media examples of situations where the gloves are taken off:
1. THE Israeli prime minister, Ariel Sharon, yesterday promised a “new course for the war on terror” to meet Palestinian tactics that have led to the deaths of 12 soldiers in a week.
Following the deaths of six soldiers at a checkpoint in the West Bank - one of the highest tolls in a single attack - the Israeli army launched retaliatory raids from land, sea and air yesterday.
Fifteen Palestinians were killed in reprisals in Gaza, Nablus and Ramallah, and two men suspected of planting a roadside bomb were killed after a chase in Gaza.
The Israeli security cabinet promised to step up military operations, and one of Mr Sharon’s spokesmen said: “The gloves are off now.”
However, the prime minister insisted that he was not going to lead Israel into a full-scale war.
“We are facing an immeasurably dangerous and complex problem that we must know how to deal with appropriately and not drive the nation to war. I am opposed to dragging the country into war,” Mr Sharon said.
The Israeli response continued through the night. Tanks and troops engered Gaza City early this morning for the first time in nearly 17 months of violence, witnesses said. A refugee camp was shelled and heavy machinegun fire was heard throughout the city.
In southern Gaza, tanks and bulldozers demolished houses in the Rafah refugee camp.
- ‘The gloves are off’ as Israel retaliates, Telegraph.co.uk, February 21, 2002.
2. Eton’s headmaster has denied Prince Harry’s school work was written by a teacher, saying it was full of errors.
Anthony Little said if a teacher had written the AS level art journal, they clearly were “not worth the job”.
The prince’s former art teacher, Sarah Forsyth, told her employment tribunal she wrote most of the journal - and even taped Harry admitting to this.
Her contract at the school was not renewed in summer 2003. She is claiming unfair dismissal.
Ms Forsyth says Harry was regarded as a “weak” student at Eton and was given “inappropriate help” with his work.
But the school’s head responded by telling the tribunal on Wednesday Harry’s journal was riddled with errors.
Among the mistakes is a reference to an artist's “forthwith manner” rather than “forthright”, and references to “interloking” lines and “mark mark making”.
Mr Little said staff were concerned by Ms Forsyth’s state of mind.
“Frankly, if the teacher had done that, with those spelling mistakes, she wasn’t worth the job,” Mr Little said.
The school accepts Ms Forsyth gave the prince help with technical vocabulary, but says that is part of “good teaching”.
Mr Little said: “It’s the function of a good teacher to help the student to develop language and terminology to give it a bit of shape, for a teacher to do that is a jolly good thing.”
But he said he was “very shocked” to learn of Ms Forsyth’s “extraordinary actions” in taping a conversation with the prince as he was on his way to an art A level exam.
Mr Little said the taping was in itself grounds for dismissal for gross misconduct.
Ms Forsyth claims her head of department, Ian Burke, had been bullying her in the run-up to her dismissal.
She says she told other staff, including the headmaster, but her claims were ignored.
Ms Forsyth says Mr Burke threatened her, telling her he would “get her”.
She secretly taped a second conversation in which Mr Burke was heard to say “the gloves are off now, I can’t protect you”.
The Royal Family has denied Harry cheated and an investigation by exam board Edexcel found no evidence of malpractice.
- Harry’s work ‘full of mistakes’, BBC.co.uk, May 11, 2005.
3. In the summer of 1960, Sidney Gottlieb, a C.I.A. chemist, flew to Congo with a carry-on bag containing vials of poison and a hypodermic syringe. It was an era of relative subtlety among C.I.A. assassins. The toxins were intended for the food, drink, or toothpaste of Patrice Lumumba, Congo’s Prime Minister, who, in the judgment of the Eisenhower Administration, had gone soft on Communism. Upon his arrival, as Tim Weiner recounts in his history of the C.I.A., Gottlieb handed his kit to Larry Devlin, the senior C.I.A. officer in Léopoldville. Devlin asked who had ordered the hit. “The President,” Gottlieb assured him. In later testimony, Devlin said that he felt ashamed of the command. He buried the poisons in a riverbank, but helped find an indirect way to eliminate Lumumba, by bankrolling and arming political enemies. The following January, Lumumba was executed by the Belgian military.
For Eisenhower, who had witnessed the carnage of the Normandy landings and the Battle of the Bulge, and later claimed to “hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can,” political assassinations represented an alluring alternative to conventional military action. Through the execution or overthrow of undesirable foreign leaders, the thinking went, it might be possible to orchestrate the global struggle against Communism from a distance, and avoid the misery—and the risks of nuclear war—that out-and-out combat would bring. Assassination was seen not only as precise and efficient but also as ultimately humane. Putting such theory into practice was the role of the C.I.A., and the agency’s tally of toppled leftists, nationalists, or otherwise unreliable leaders is well known, from Mohammad Mosadegh, of Iran, in 1953, and Jacobo ?rbenz Guzmán, of Guatemala, in 1954, to Ngo Dinh Diem, of South Vietnam, in 1963, and Salvador Allende, of Chile, in 1973. Not all the schemes we a few seemed inspired by Wile E. Coyote. The C.I.A. once planned to bump off Fidel Castro by passing him an exploding cigar.
Aside from the moral ugliness of violent covert action, its record as a national-security strategy isn’t encouraging. On occasion, interventions have delivered short-term advantages to Washington, but in the long run they have usually sown deeper troubles. Lumumba’s successor, the dictator Joseph Mobutu, may have been an ally of the United States until his death, in 1997, but his brutal rule prepared the way for Congo’s recent descent into chaos. Memory of the C.I.A.’s hand in Mosadegh’s overthrow stoked the anti-American fury of the Iranian Revolution, which confounds the United States to this day. Foreign policy is not a game of Risk. Great nations achieve lasting influence and security not by bloody gambits but through economic growth, scientific innovation, military deterrence, and the power of ideas.
During the nineteen-seventies, it seemed as though this era of covert action were coming to an end. After a congressional investigation exposed the extent of C.I.A. plots, President Gerald Ford issued an executive order banning political assassinations. Successive Presidents strengthened the ban with executive orders of their own, codifying a growing bipartisan consensus that assassinations undercut America’s avowed commitment to democracy, human rights, and the rule of law.
But after September 11, 2001, as lower Manhattan and the Pentagon smoldered, C.I.A. leaders advocated for the right to kill members of Al Qaeda anywhere in the world. George W. Bush eagerly assented. On September 17th, the President signed a still classified directive delegating lethal authority to the agency. “The gloves come off,” J. Cofer Black, the director of the agency’s Counterterrorist Center, told Congress early in 2002.
Since then, America’s targeted-killing program has grown into a campaign without borders, in which the White House, the C.I.A., and the Pentagon all play a part. The role of armed drones in this war is well known, but for years neither President Obama nor his advisers officially acknowledged their existence. Some three thousand people, including an unknown number of civilians, are believed to have died in targeted strikes since 2001. If the death tolls from strikes in Iraq and Afghanistan were included, the figure would be much higher.
An assassination campaign against suspected terrorists is not the same as one that occasionally rubs out unfriendly political leaders of nation-states, but it raises similar questions. Is a program of targeted killing, conducted without judicial oversight or public scrutiny, consistent with American interests and values?
- Our Drone Delusion, , May 6, 2013.
Related stories:
本文仅代表作者本人观点,与本网立场无关。欢迎大家讨论学术问题,尊重他人,禁止人身攻击和发布一切违反国家现行法律法规的内容。
About the author:
Zhang Xin(张欣) has been with China Daily since 1988, when he graduated from Beijing Foreign Studies University. Write him at: .cn, or raise a question for potential use in a future column.
中国日报网英语点津版权说明:凡注明来源为“中国日报网英语点津:XXX(署名)”的原创作品,除与中国日报网签署英语点津内容授权协议的网站外,其他任何网站或单位未经允许不得非法盗链、转载和使用,违者必究。如需使用,请与010-联系;凡本网注明“来源:XXX(非英语点津)”的作品,均转载自其它媒体,目的在于传播更多信息,其他媒体如需转载,请与稿件来源方联系,如产生任何问题与本网无关;本网所发布的歌曲、电影片段,版权归原作者所有,仅供学习与研究,如果侵权,请提供版权证明,以便尽快删除。
中国日报网双语新闻
扫描左侧二维码
添加Chinadaily_Mobile
你想看的我们这儿都有!
中国日报双语手机报
点击左侧图标查看订阅方式
中国首份双语手机报
学英语看资讯一个都不能少!
关注和订阅
本文相关阅读
Copyright .cn. All rights reserved. None of this material may be used for any commercial or public use. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited. 版权声明:本网站所刊登的中国日报网英语点津内容,版权属中国日报网所有,未经协议授权,禁止下载使用。 欢迎愿意与本网站合作的单位或个人与我们联系。
Email: .cn江阴市2014秋季高二上学期英语开学检测试卷(带答案)
您现在的位置:&&>>&&>>&&>>&&>>&&>>&正文
江阴市2014秋季高二上学期英语开学检测试卷(带答案)
作者:佚名 资料来源:网络 点击数: &&&
江阴市2014秋季高二上学期英语开学检测试卷(带答案)
本资料为WORD文档,请点击下载地址下载
文 章来 源莲山 课件 w ww.5Y k J.cO m 江阴市2014秋季高二上学期英语开学检测试卷(带答案)一、单项(共15小题,每题1分,满分15分)1. ― Jim managed to get into his house without the key. ______?― I don’t know. He might have asked someone for help.A. What for&&&&& B. Who knows&& &C. So What&&&&&&& D. Guess how2. Alice Munro, the 82-year-old female writer, is the 13th woman ______the Nobel Prize for Literature since its start in 1901.A. won&&&&&&&&&& B. winning&&&&&& C. to winning&&&&&& D. to win&5. As is often the case in nature, some plants are so ____ to temperature that they can only survive in cool places. A. addicted&&&&&&&& B. cautious&&&& C. sensitive&&&&&&&&& D. available6. You may depend on ______ that they will look after your daughter when you are away.A. them&&&&&&&&&& B. it&&&&&&&&&& C. this&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. that7. Our school appeals to the students to ______ at least an hour every day to take exercise to raise learning efficiency.A. pick out&&&&&&&& B. take up&&&&& C. keep back&&&&&&&& D. set aside8. High school girls in the country ______ to wear long hair at that time, which you may think quite strange.A. were forbidden&& B. have been forbidden&& C. forbade&&& D. had forbidden9. Whatever background you come from, you can be _______ successful with your hard work like many others.A. mostly&&&&& B. merely&&&&&&&&&&& C.&equally&&& D. hardly10. For us Senior Three students, 2014 is a special year, one _______ we are trying to be admitted to a desired university.A.what&&&&&&&&& B.which&&&&&&&&&&&& C.where&&&& D.when11. Owing to her balanced diet and regular exercise, she is very slim and athletic _____.&A. in height&&B. in detail&&&&&& C. in shape&&& D. in sight12. He admitted not until he lost most of his old friends ______that inner beauty was more important than physical beauty.A. that he realized&&&&&&&& B. did he realized&& C. he had realized&&& D. did he realize13. After leaving office in 1999, Nelson Mandela didn’t stop doing______ he thought was right.A. that&&&&&&&&& B. which&&&&&&&&& C.& what&&&&&& D. where 14. The visit to the memorial of Jiao Yulu, a late model official who worked in Lankao in the 1960s was a _____ of Secretary Xi’s trip. A. highlight&&&&&&& B. preparation&&& C. destination&&&& D. preference 15. ______ English not to be tested in the future, it would be more of a disaster than a fortune.&&&& A. Were&&&&& && B. Should&&&& && C. Would&&&&&&& D. Might
二、 完形(共20小题,每题0.5分,满分10分)& When Edward Jones was 10, he used to go to the public library in Washington, but not for the books. “ We& 16& go into the boy’s room,” he remembers. “ We would 17& our shoes and lay on the floor and put our feet 18& on the radiators to get warm.” Jones is again sitting in the lobby of that building.& 19 __ the library is now the City Museum of Washington, and Jones is 53 and the 20& of the Pulitzer Prize for his first novel, The Known World. Time does have a way of changing 21.&Everything---and nothing. “ I always thought 22& day I would write a story,” says Jones.& The first line is, “ You never 23& having been a child.” He laughs, but there’s still hurt there. Jones had a tough childhood: his 24& wasn’t around, and his mother washed dishes and scrubbed floors to 25& him and his sister and brother, who is disabled. 26&& , his poor mother with them moved 18 times in 18 years. Once an landlord threw all their possession out of the windows when his mother didn’t 27&& the rent.Jones went to college---Holy Cross, a Jesuit school in Massachusetts―but 28& was always around him, and he was briefly 29& after he graduated. When he was offered a 30& job at a financial magazine called Tax Notes, he took it, and stayed there for 19 years. “ 31& you grow up like that, having a job is important,” he says. “ It was always the job first. 32& would come second.” But Jones concentrated upon his literary dreams, 33& his co-workers laughed at him about writing the great American novel.It’s strange and wonderful that a book of 34& deep human understanding could be written by a man who lives alone, who until last year had never even 35& the country.16.A. would&&&&&& B. should&&&&&&&&& C. could&&&&&&& D. might17.A. put on&&&&&& B. take off&&&&&&&&& C. have on&&& D. go off18.A.off&&&&&&&&&& B. away&&&&&&&&& C. up&&&&&&& D. back19.A.or&&&&&&&&&& B. then&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. and&&&&&&& D. but20.A.loser&&&&&& B. owner&&&&&&&&& C. winner&&& D. competitor21.A.anything&&&&&& B. something&&&&& C. nothing&&& D. everything22.A.one&&&&&&&&&& B. each& &&&&&&&&& C. either&&&&&&& D. neither23.A.get over&&&&&& B. grow up&&&&&&&&& C. go down&&& D. gaze at24.A.father&&&&&& B. mother&&&&&&&&& C. teacher&&& D. classmate25.A.supply&&&&&& B. suggest&&&&&&&&& C. surround&&& D. support26.A.Luckily&&&&&& B. Unfortunately&&&&& C. Cheerfully&& D. Strongly27.A.cost&&&&&&&&& B. take&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. spend&&& D. pay28.A.wealth&&&&&& B. poverty&&&&&&&&& C. strength&&& D. power29.A.homeless&&&&& B. hopeless&&&&&&&&& C. useless&&& D. careless30.A.plenty&&&&&&& B. sudden&&&&&&&&& C. steady&&& D. strange31.A.Before&&&&&& B. After&&&&&&&&& C. Although&&& D. When32.A.Speaking&&&&& B. Writing&&&&&&&&& C. Reading&&& D. Retelling33.A.even though&& B. if&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. what's more& D. however34.A.so&&&&&&&&&& B. that&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. as&&&&&&& D. such35.A.stayed&&&&&& B. left&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. visited&&& D. wrote三、理解(共20小题,每题1分,满分20分)&AEach time I see a balloon, my mind flies back to a memory of when I was a six-year-old girl. It was a rainy Sunday and my father had recently died. I asked my mom if Dad had gone to heaven. "Yes, honey. Of course." she said."Can we write him a letter?"She paused, the longest pause of my short life, and answered, "Yes."My heart jumped. "How? Does the mailman go there?" I asked."No, but I have an idea." Mom drove to a party store and returned with a red balloon. I asked her what it was for.&"Just wait, honey. You'll see." Mom told me to write my letter. Eagerly, I got my favorite pen, and poured out my six-year-old heart in the form of blue ink. I wrote about my day, what I learned at school, how Mom was doing, and even about what happened in a story I had read. For a few minutes it was as if Dad were still alive. I gave the letter to Mom. She read it over, and a smile crossed her face.&She made a hole in the corner of the letter where she looped the balloon string. We went outside and she gave me the balloon. It was still raining."Okay, on the count of three, let go. One, two, three."The balloon, carrying my letter, darted upward against the rain. We watched until it was swallowed by the mass of clouds.Later I realized, like the balloon, that Dad had never let his sickness get him down. He was strong. No matter what he suffered, he'd persevere, dart up, and finally transcend this cold world and his sick body. He rose into sky and became something beautiful. I watched until the balloon disappeared into the gray and white and I prayed that his strength was hereditary. I prayed to be a balloon.& B
About PISAThe Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) is a triennial international survey which aims to evaluate education systems worldwide by testing the skills and knowledge of 15-year-old students. To date, students representing more than 70 countries have participated in the assessment.&What makes PISA differentPISA is unique because it develops tests which are not directly linked to the school curriculum. The tests are designed to assess to what extent students at the end of compulsory education, can apply their knowledge to real-life situations and be equipped for full participation in society. The information collected through background questionnaires also provides context which can help analysts interpret the results.What the assessment involvesSince the year 2000, every three years, fifteen-year-old students from randomly selected schools worldwide take tests in the key subjects: reading, mathematics and science, with a focus on one subject in each year of assessment. The students take a test that lasts 2 hours. The tests are a mixture of open-ended and multiple-choice questions that are organized in groups based on a passage setting out a real-life situation. A total of about 390 minutes of test items are covered. Students take different combinations of different tests.&Additional PISA initiativesPISA-based Test for Schools(PTS)As interest in PISA has grown, school and local educators have been wanting to know how their individual schools compare with students and schools in education systems worldwide. To address this need, the OECD(The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development) has developed the PISA-based test for schools. It is currently available in the United States and the OECD is in discussions with governments to make the test available in other countries such as England and Spain.40. PISA is different from other programmes because __________.&& A. its test is closely related to the school curriculum.&& B. its test aims to assess whether students can solve real-life problems.& C. its test can equip students for full participation in school.& D. test scores directly determine the analysis of the test.&& 41. Which of the following statements is true according to the passage?& A. Test-takers are carefully selected.&& B. Test-takers answer the same questions.& C. Test-takers are tested on three key subjects.& D. Test-takers spend about 390 minutes on the test.& 42. What can we infer from the last paragraph?& A. Students of all ages will be able to take PTS in the future.& B. More countries are likely to have PTS in the future.&& C. School and local educators show little interest in PISA at present.&& D. PISA provides evaluation of education system within a certain country.& 43. Where can we most probably find the passage?&& A. On the Internet &&&&&& B. In a newspaper&&& C. In a magazine &&&&&& D. In an advertisement&&& CExpensive and new gloves allow chatterboxes to take the term “handsfree” to a new level―by talking into them as they make a call. The gloves are known as “Talk to the Hand” and cost &1,000 a pair. They fixed a speaker unit into the thumb and a microphone into the little finger that can be connected to any mobile handset using Bluetooth.Artist Sean Miles designed the new gloves that double as a phone in part of his project that shows the possibilities of gadget recycling. He uses outdated gloves and combines them with parts from mobile handsets recycled through O2, which commissioned the project. Mobile phone users will be able to keep their hands warm while they chat without taking their phones out of their pockets or handbags.Mr. Miles designed two pairs of the new gloves―one in pink and the other in brown and yellow. They will appear in an exhibition this July and visitors will be able to win the gloves. If demand is high, they will then be produced on a larger scale. O2 Recycle, which backed the project, estimates that there are already 70 million unused mobile handsets in the UK. The service pays up to &260 to those who recycle gadgets including phones, handheld consoles, MP3 players and digital cameras.Designer Sean Miles hopes his work will get people thinking about recycling. The 41-year-old said, “I hope that my ‘Talk to the Hand’ project will get people to think again about the waste created by not recycling gadgets. If a few more people recycle their gadgets rather than send them to trash, I think this project will have fulfilled its aim.”Bill Eyres, head of O2 Recycle, urges people to recycle their phone responsibly. He said, “There’s a pressing need for all of us to look at outdated handsets, and all the gadgets that we move on from or upgrade each year. Whether they are consoles or cameras, we should think of them as a resource that we need to recycle responsibly rather than throw them away.”& &&&&&&&&&& D&&& Given all the heated debates about how America's children should be taught, it may come as a surprise to learn that students spend less than 15% of their time in school. While there's no doubt that school is important, a series of recent studies remind us that parents are even more so. A study, for example, finds that parental involvement―checking homework, attending school meetings and events, discussing school activities at home―has a more powerful influence on students' academic performance than anything about the school the students attend. Another study, reports that the effort put forth by parents has a bigger impact on their children's educational achievement than the effort devoted by either teachers or the students themselves. And a third study concludes that schools would have to increase their spending by more than $1,000 per pupil in order to achieve the same results that are gained with parental involvement .&&& So parents matter a lot―a point made clear by decades of research showing that a major part of the academic advantage held by children from wealthy families comes from the “concerted cultivation(协作培养) of children” as compared to the more laissez-faire style of parenting common in working-class families. But this research also reveals something else: that parents, of all backgrounds, don't need to buy expensive educational toys or digital devices for their kids in order to give them an edge. They don't need to chauffeur their offspring to enrichment classes or test-prep courses. What they need to do with their children is much simpler: talk.&&& But not just any talk. Although well-known research by psychologists Betty Hart and Todd Risley has shown that professional parents talk more to their children than less-affluent parents―a lot more, resulting in a 30 million “word gap” by the time children reach age three―more recent researches are raising our sense of exactly what kinds of talks at home contributed to children's success at school. For example, a study conducted by researchers at the UCLA School of Public Health and published in the journal Pediatrics found that two-way adult-child conversations were six times as effective in promoting language development as interludes in which the adult did all the talking. Engaging in this reciprocal back-and-forth gives children a chance to try out language for themselves, and also gives them the sense that their thoughts and opinions matter. As they grow older, this feeling helps middle- and upper-class kids develop into confident supporters for their own interests, while working-class students tend to avoid asking for help or arguing their own case with teachers, according to a research presented at American Sociological Association conference earlier this year.&&& The content of parents' conversations with kids matters, too. Children who hear talk about counting and numbers at home start school with much more extensive mathematical knowledge, which predicts future achievement in the subject. Psychologist Susan Levine, who led the study on number words, has also found that the amount of talk young children hear about the spatial properties of the physical world―how big or small or round or sharp objects are―predicts kids’ problem-solving abilities as they prepare to enter kindergarten.While the conversations parents have with their children change as kids grow older, the effect of these exchanges on academic achievement remains strong. And again, the way mothers and fathers talk to their middle-school students makes a difference. Research by Nancy Hill, a professor at Harvard University's Graduate School of Education, finds that parents play an important role in what Hill calls “academic socialization”―setting expectations and making connections between current behavior and future goals (going to college, getting a good job). Engaging in these sorts of conversations, Hill reports, has a greater impact on educational accomplishment than volunteering at a child's school or going to PTA meetings, or even taking children to libraries and museums. When it comes to promoting students’ success, it seems, it’s not so much what parents do as what they say.48. What is the most effective talk between parents and children in improving language&& development?&& A. Professional parents’ talk.&& B. Two-way conservation.&& C. Adults talking all the time.&& D. Children speaking as interludes.49. What can we infer from the last paragraph?&& A. It’s necessary for children to follow the example of their parents.&& B. Children should be active in their educational accomplishment.&& C. Parents should often communicate with the teachers of their children.&& D. Parents’ influence stays with children for a long time.50.& Which of the following would be the best title for the passage?&& A. Parenting is more important than schooling.&& B. Conversation is the most suitable way to educate children&& C. Kids should be encouraged to think and behave independently && D. The content of the conversations matters the most to the children第四部分 任务型(共10小题;每小题1分,满分10分)Few women choose academic careers in math-intensive fields because the lifestyle is not consistent with motherhood, researchers at Cornell University found in a study to be published next month in American Scientist Magazine.Universities have long been criticized for hiring and evaluation policies that discriminate against women, but the findings of this new study point to the female biological clock as a main reason why so few women end up as professors in fields such as math, engineering, physics and computer science.A woman who wants a family looks at the tough path to a tenured(终身的)position and considers how old she will be before she can start a family and how little time she will have to raise her children. Many of those women choose a more flexible career."Universities have been largely inflexible about anything other than the standard timetable, which means you'll have to struggle for years and only then would you consider getting pregnant,” said Wendy Williams, a human development professor at Cornell who co-authored the study with her husband, Stephen Ceci.Williams and Ceci analyzed data about the academic careers of men and women with and without children. Before women became mothers, they had careers equal to or more successful than their male peers. But once they gave birth, the dynamic changed.Women in other academic fields such as the humanities and social sciences face similar problems and often leave academia as well. But because there are so many women in those Ph.D. programs, enough finally stay to amount to a critical mass of female professors.In math-heavy fields, however, women make up a tiny minority of the graduate students. So when the rare few who make it through a Ph.D. program leave because universities are not concerned about their needs as mothers at all, the net result is almost no women represented on faculty rosters (教师名单), the study said.Phenomenon& Women (51)_____choosing academic careers in math-intensive fields.Reasons&General belief&The hiring and evaluation policies of universities don't treat women(52) _____&New(53) _____&So few women end up as professors in fields, such as math, engineering, physics and computer science (54) _____because of the female biological clock.Supporting details&The tough path and their consideration about marriage and (55) _____ problems make them give up.&Universities have been inflexible about anything (56) _____the standard timetable.&Before women became mothers, they (57) _____equal or more success than their male peers. But after they had children, things changed.&Women in other academic fields are also (58) _____with the same problem and leave academia as well.Conclusion&& &The fact that the lifestyle of professors doesn't agree with their motherhood leads to their being&(59) _____ to take up academic careers in math-intensive fields. Even if the rare few make it through a Ph.D. program, they leave in the end because universities don't (60) _____ about their needs as mothers.第五部分 读写任务(共1题,满分25分)阅读下面材料,按要求写一篇150词左右的英语短文。On the morning after the rainstorm, a man was walking on the beach, enjoying the beautiful view of the nature. Suddenly, he found thousands of starfish(海星) trapped in the shallow puddles(水坑) on the beach. As the sun rose, the water in the puddles was disappearing and the starfish began to struggle for life desperately. However, they still had no hopes to go back to the sea not far away.As the man continued walking, he noticed a little boy picking up the starfish one by one and throwing them into the ocean. Then he went over and asked the boy, “What are you doing?” The boy replied, “I'm throwing starfish back into the water. If I leave them here, they’ll dry up and die.” The man said, “But look how many starfish there are. What you’re doing can’t possibly make a great difference to all of them.” As the boy picked up another starfish and threw it into the ocean, he said, “Well, it makes a difference to this one!” Then he added, “Though I can’t save all of them, I can make some of them survive with my efforts.”Moved by the lovely and warm-hearted boy, the man bent down to pick up the struggling starfish and threw them into water. Every time he threw the starfish into the water, he felt their fate was changing.&
新高二暑期英语网络课堂检测卷答& 卷
四、任务型阅读(共10小题;每小题1分,满分10分)(51)________ (52) ________ (53) ________ (54) ________ (55) ________
(56) ________(57) ________ (58) ________ (59) ________ (60) ________
五、 书面表达(共1题,满分25分)文 章来 源莲山 课件 w ww.5Y k J.cO m
上一个试题: 下一个试题:
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

我要回帖

更多关于 hisw 的文章

随机推荐