If you like it like a man, then, to keepman enough to cryd

填空500题 section01-40_文档资料库
填空500题 section01-40
Section 1 1. In a production process that is complex and often unpredictable, roles that start out discretely defined may become quite ________. A. confused B. perfunctory C. independent D. overt E. exacting 2. While the writer has best known for her much-ballyhooed ________, her impact reached far beyond memorable quips. A. pensiveness B. drollness C. stoicism D. fastidiousness E. congeniality 3. While people complain about their hectic lives and demanding schedules, one might be justified in suspecting that they are being somewhat (i)________: compulsive busyness seems to be, for many, a source of (ii)________ . Blank (i) A. disingenuous B. guarded C. dilatory Blank (ii) D. pride E. despair F. irritation4. The author argued that the field of sociology has been overly (i)________ partly because, for many scholars, the edges of the social universe are defined by national borders. In this era of increasing globalization, however, sociology is presented with a historically distinct opportunity to transcend its former (ii)________. Blank (i) A. narrow in scope B. susceptible to fades C. averse to empiricism Blank (ii) D. utilitarianism E. parochialism F. historicism5. Readers may initially be irked by the book’s apparent (i)________, but, once immersed in the author’s prose, they may come to regard the works (ii)________ as an asset. Blank (i) A. flippancy B. aimlessness C. tendentiousness Blank (ii) D. subtlety E. discursions F. exhaustiveness 6. Those who took Clark’s old-mannered compliance for obsequiousness (i)________ him: his apparent (ii)________ veiled a fervent (iii)________ of authority that others exercised over him, one that he occasionally expressed by discreetly sabotaging their most important projects. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. misconstrued D. cynicism G. veneration B. condemned E. acquiescence H. justification C. respected F. intractability I. detestation 7. Although its director ________ that the movies uses a documentary approach in portraying the famous sit-down strike, in practice its characters are heavily fictionalized and fall into familiar Hollywood types. A. asserts B. concedes C. guarantees D. disputes E. grants F. maintain 8. When study the ancient Greek astronomers, Copernicun realized that despite the intrinsic beauty of many of their arguments, the ancients often made claims that ________ logic. A. refuted B. questioned C. influenced D. swayed E. defied F. disregarded 9. For all the ________ the new CEO has received from the press recently, her staff have a decidedly less rosy view of her. A. encomiums B. tributes C. evaluations D. critiques E. attention F. publicity10. Coagulation factors are useful proteins whose simple names ― many are known only by Roman numerals ― ________ their importance, and the specificity of their roles in the thing and clotting of blood. A. nullify B. obviate C. mitigate D. belie E. mask F. accentuate Section 2 1. Although the volume of radioactive waste produced by nuclear power plants is ________ , the problem of how to dispose of that waste is not: rather, it is of major importance. A. unmanageable B. troubling C. significant D. small E. deceptive 2. We often regard natural phenomenon like rainfall as mysterio although for short time spans and particular places they appear so, in fact, on a truly global scale nature has been a model of ________ . A. reliability B. diversity C. complexity D. plasticity E. discontinuity 3. The national bank has been uncommonly powerful in comparison to its counterparts in other nations. It retains this potency partly because its control of the nations’ banking system is (i)________ governmental interference, and thus its actions remain largely (ii)________ . Blank (i) A. unencumbered by B. replete with C. hindered by Blank (ii) D. compulsory E. discretionary F. bureaucratic4. The material covered in this article has been (i)________ in previous publications, and since currently neglected areas remained unexplored, the article contains no (ii)________ . Blank (i) A. skirted B. scrutinized C. countered Blank (ii) D. revelations E. distortions F. conclusions5. Unambiguous texts can allow their readers to (i)________ them quickly, but ambiguous texts can have the attractive (ii)________ of multiple possible interpretations, all of which can be considered equally (iii)________ and none of which is the single true meaning. Blank (i) A. misunderstand B. comprehend C. complicate Blank (ii) D. stigma E. blemish F. allure Blank (iii) G. valid H. frank I. inveterate 6. Even the reader acquainted with the outlines of Pushkin’s biography will be (i)________ the (ii)________ so vividly conveyed in Binyon’s biography. Not only was Pushkin’s personal correspondence intercepted and his movements (iii)________, but Tsar Nicholas I’s decision to oversee Pushkin’s career obliged Pushkin to submit all his manuscripts for inspection. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. attributed to D. suffocating lack of creative freedom G. ignored B. confused by E. concern for contemporary society H. monitored C. struck by F. underlying sense of historical change I. commended 7. The uniquely human ability to rethink and revise our social arrangements is a weird blessing, allowing us to create systems that are as likely to ________ us as to liberate us. A. cheer B. shackle C. admonish D. educate E. stifle F. enliven 8. Although field studies have linked inbreeding to declines any song sparrow populations, some researchers argue that, in nature, inbreeding proves ________ as a factor when compared with crashing blows form weather changes. A. hazardous B. momentous C. trivial D. significant E. precarious F. inconsequential 9. Although the insistence on balancing spending against tax revenues has contributed to the economy’s stagnation, unfortunately, the government does not seem likely to ________ this rigid policy. A. initiate B. persist in C. publicize D. repudiate E. continue F. recant 10. Since it was committed to the idea of science as an international, politically neutral enterprise, the Royal Society of London refused to ________ members from enemy nations during world wars of the twentieth century. A. betray B. expel C. endorse D. oust E. sanction F. condemn Section 3 1. Among the Meakambut people of Papua New Guinea, legends are associated with specific caves in the Sepik region, and these legends are ________ : only the cave owner can share its secrets. A. impenetrable B. immutable C. proprietary D. didactic E. self-perpetuating 2. It is a paradox of the V that they mere both ________ and, through their empire, cosmopolitan. A. capricious B. insular C. mercenary D. idealistic E. intransigent 3. Despite the scathing precision with which she satirizes the lives of social aspirants and moneyed folk, the writer appears to (i)________ being part of the world she presents as so (ii)________ . Blank (i) A. abhor B. relish C. revoke Blank (ii) D. unattainable E. insufferable F. enchanting4. The contemporary trend whereby fashion designers flout mainstream tradition is unique only in its (i)________; earlier fashion designers experienced the same (ii)________ impulse, albeit in a less extreme form. Blank (i) A. subversiveness B. intensity C. culpability Blank (ii) D. indiscriminate E. iconoclastic F. temperate5. Memory-prompt technology such as online birthday reminders dose more than enhance
it induces us to (i)________ even more behaviors to automated progresses. Witness the (ii)________ a program that allows us to create computer greeting cards for the entire year in one setting. Blank (i) A. delegate B. ascribe C. liken Blank (ii) D. controversy over E. popularity of F. sophistication of 6. Biologists have little (i)________ drawing the link between the success of humanity and human (ii)________. Indeed, many biologists claim that this attributes the ability to (iii)________, or, to put it more sharply, to make individuals subordinate their self-interest to the needs of the group lies at the root of human achievement. Blank (i) A. consensus regarding B. compunction about C. justification for Blank (ii) D. resilience E. sociability F. uniqueness Blank (iii) G. reflect H. communicate I. cooperate7. Progressive and reactionary populist movements are not necessarily ________: each way, and usually does, process features of the other. A. dichotomous B. untenable C. unsustainable D. controversies E. subversive F. efficacious 8. Flawed as it may be because it is conducted by subjective scientist, science itself has method that help us ________ our bias and talk about objective reality with some validity. A. bypass B. reduce C. exacerbate D. magnify E. acknowledge F. circumvent 9. In Japanese aesthetics, especially but not only in Noh, beauty contains the idea of ________: beauty must have an air of evanescence, the imitation of its own demise. A. transience B. symmetry C. decay D. simplicity E. balance F. deterioration 10. Although one can adduce myriad of examples of ecosystem disruption by nonindigenous species, nevertheless most introduced species that survive in fact to have quite ________ effects on the ecosystem they have invaded. A. minimal B. trifling C. marked D. conspicuous E. intriguing F. deleterious Section 4 1. Apparently, advanced tortoise evolved multiple times: the high-domed shells and columnar, elephantine feet of current forms are specialization for terrestrial life that evolved ________ on each continent. A. independently B. interchangeable C. paradoxically D. simultaneously E. symmetrically 2. Instead of demonstrating the ________ of archaeological applications of electronic remote sensing, the pioneering study became, to some skeptics, an illustration of the imprudence of interpreting sites based on virtual archaeology A. ubiquity B. limitation C. promise D. redundancy E. complexity 3. Given the (i)________ the committees and the (ii)________ natures of its investigation, it would be unreasonable to gainsay the committee’s conclusions at first glance. Blank (i) A. sterling reputation of B. lack of funding for C. ad hoc existence of Blank (ii) D. superficial E. spontaneous F. exhaustive4. Though many professional book reviewers would agree that criticism should be (i)________ enterprise, a tendency to write (ii)________ reviews has risen, partly out of the mistaken belief that sharing personal details will help reviewers stand out of the pack. Blank (i) A. an anonymous B. an evenhanded C. a spirited Blank (ii) D. scathing E. confessional F. superficial5. Scientific papers often (i)________ what actually happened in the course of the investigations they describe, Misunderstandings, blind alleys, and mistakes of various sorts of will fail to appear in the find written accounts, because (ii)________ is a desirable attribute when transmitting results in a scientific report and would be poorly served by (iii)________. Blank (i) A. amplify B. misrepresent C. particularize Blank (ii) D. transparency E. efficiency F. exhaustiveness Blank (iii) G. a comprehensive historical account H. a purely quantitative analysis I. overly superficial discussion 6. Analysis of 47.5-million-year-old fossils from Pakistan has yielded fresh insights into the early ancestors of modern whales. For example, Maiacetus inuus was a land animal (i)________ life in the sea. One Maiacetus inuus fossil encased a fetus positioned for a head-first delivery, which is typical of a land mammal and suggests the species gave birth onshore. But it probably spent much of its time (ii)________: its big teeth were suite for catching fish, while its flipper-like feet must have been (iii)________ walking. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. resistant D. in the water G. incompatible with B. removed from E. fleeing from predators H. clumsy for C. adapted to F. protecting its young I. strengthened by 7. The Chavez Pass archaeological site was initially interpreted as indicative of ________ society, since it was thought to have been at the center of a cluster of smaller, contemporary settlements that it presumably controlled. A. an expansionist B. a hierarchical C. an urban D. a heterogeneous E. a diverse F. a stratified 8. Even if the story now seems a surprisingly innocuous overture to the authors later, more fully developed narrations, it ________ some of the key traits of those bleaker tales. A. avoids B. belies C. undercuts D. anticipates E. possesses F. prefigures 9. In the absence of a surface gradient, the new laws of refraction and reflection are ________ the conventional, law, so they represent more of an extension than a complete revolution. A. inferable from B. entailed by C. antithetical to D. coincident with E. antecedent to F. oppositional to 10. While recognizing that recent reports of cyber warfare, phone-hacking scandals, and identity thefts have tended to accent the destructive connotation of the word, Sue Halpemn maintains that “hacking” is such ________ term that its meaning nearly always derives form its context. A. a generic B. an inclusive C. a positive D. a subjective E. an affirmative F. a technical Section 5 1. A new television documentary focuses on one of the prime minister’s defining contradiction, portraying her as a woman who cultivated an image of A. irascibility B. abstemiousness C. contentiousness D. insouciance E. surreptitiousness 2. In proto scientific times, for example, in ancient Greece, claims about the physical world were often accepted as true if
experimental verification, if thought necessary at all, was ________. A. utilitarian B. perfunctory C. egregious D. empirical E. inductive 3. The economic recovery was somewhat lopsided: (i)________ in some of the industrial economics while (ii)________ in others of them. Blank (i) A. unexpected B. feeble C. swift Blank (ii) D. robust E. turbulent F. predictable ________ but who liked to live grandly.4. Scholarly works on detective stories often begin with (i)________, suggesting that there is something vaguely wrong with adults who spend their time reading such fiction and certainly something (ii)________ those who devote energy to its analysis. Blank (i) A. chronologies B. apologies C. synopses Blank (ii) D. awry in E. astute about F. courageous about5. Due to the extraordinary circumstances, British business owners found themselves in a (i)________ position during the second world war, forced to accept regular interference from government and to acquiescence to (ii)________ role for labor unions in negotiating the terms and conditions of employment. Blank (i) A. defensive B. dominant C. customary Blank (ii) D. a traditional E. an enhanced F. a diminished 6. For almost two centuries, the German island of Sylt has offered various therapies for every conceivable (i)________, from broken bones to liver complaints. The local mud, saltwater, thermal pools and spas have been deemed (ii)________ by the German medical system, which (iii)________ some of these treatments. Consequently, the treatments are widely used. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. malady D. healthful G. doubts B. indiscretion E. suspect H. denies C. prognosis F. innocuous I. funds 7. Miller reminded his clients that labor relationship are inherently ________ : the interests of business owners are diametrically opposed to those of employers. A. adversarial B. exploitative C. mercenary D. antagonistic E. variable F. changeable8. Progressive and reactionary populist movements are not necessarily ________: each way, and usually does, process features of the other. dichotomous A. untenable B. unsustainable C. controversies D. subversive E. efficacious 9. Even the cleverest use of time management technique is powerless to ________ the sum of minutes in a person’s life (over 52 million, optimistically assuming a life expecting of 100 years), so people squeeze as much as they could into each one of them. A. justify B. quantify C. augment D. enrich E. measure F. extend 10. One of the vocalists who auditioned for a leading part of in the local production of Sweeney Todd seemed to prefer ________ to any attempt a a more pleasant voice was hard to imagine. A. warbling B. imitating C. improvising D. shrieking E. crooning F. caterwauling Section 6 1. The space travels described in science fiction stories always used to be epic adventures, in comparison to which current journals in space seem quite ________. A. mundane B. exciting C. dramatic D. risky E. heroic 2. Medieval cathedrals still stand as marvels of architecture, but as far as modern science is concerned, medieval physics and chemistry are simple irrelevant, at best to dead end, at worst the very ________ of what science is supposed to be. A. exemplar B. glorification C. reflection D. dilution E. antithesis 3. Although trains may use energy more (i)________ than do automobiles, the latter move only when they contain at least one occupant, whereas railway carriages spend a considerable amount of time running up and down the tracks (ii)________, or nearly so. Blank (i) A. lavishly B. efficiently C. routinely Blank (ii) D. vacant E. unimpeded F. overlooked4. Historian Barbara Alpern Engle’s task in writing a book about women in Russia must have been a (i)________ one, because the (ii)________ the Russian empire’s peoples meant that Russian women could never be treated as a homogeneous group. Blank (i) A. motivating B. boring C. daunting Blank (ii) D. unity among E. disinterest in F. diversity of5. One sometimes hear that Marco Polo introduced pasta to the Western World, having encountered it in China. This durable myth, which (i)________ nothing should have been known of pasta in Italy until 1295, when Marco Polo returned from the Far East can easily be (ii)________ by point out that there are Italian references to pasta that (iii)________. Blank (i) A. requires B. demonstrates C. symbolizes Blank (ii) D. augmented E. debunked F. traced Blank (iii) G. praise its virtues H. can be authenticated I. predate that event 6. Both very good and very bad books are easy to review. Praise and (i)________ come easily. But what of books that contain a muddle of virtues and vices? Here the reviewer’s task is more (ii)________ : the author’s useful and thought-provoking observations need to be (iii)________ the useless and tedious. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. ambivalence D. evident G. supplanted by B. compliment E. demanding H. sifted from C. censure F. manageable I. overshadowed by 7. Even though women in the United States could not gain the rights to vote until 1920, throughout the nineteenth century many feminist goals were gradually ________, especially the rights of married women to control their own property. A. realized B. abandoned C. eroded D. modified E. revised F. achieved 8. It is hardly ________ the committee calls for: rudimentary competence would be an improvement on the current chaos. A. accountability B. disarray C. unruliness D. faultlessness E. loyalty F. perfection 9. Edited collections of scholarly essays generally tend to be somewhat uneven: they suffer from the ________ subject matter of the various essays, the lack of an overarching and consistent thesis and the variable quantity of the contributions. A. intriguing B. heterogeneous C. comprehensive D. disparate E. mediocre F. engaging 10. Films that critics have slumbered through rarely generate industry excitement, eventhough the critics’ ________ reception may be less the fault of the move than of its unfortunate time slot near a fatiguing film festivals conclusion. A. somnolent B. impartial C. lethargic D. laconic E. befuddled F. evenhanded Section 7 1. The governor might conceivably find a genuine resolution to the budgetary dilemma, but she may be tempted to engage in a deception: a ________ exercise in fiscal prudence. A. rigorous B. sparkling C. specious D. blatant E. convincing 2. Without seeming unworldly, William James appeared wholly removed from the ________ of society, the conventionality of academic. A. ethos B. idealism C. romance D. paradoxes E. commonplaces 3. The great of (i)________ of most books that examine the American presidency is their ideological bias, but for the most part, this volume on the presidency maintains an impressive degree of (ii)________. Blank (i) A. contribution B. limitation C. paradox Blank (ii) D. certainty E. fluency F. objectivity4. The reclusive clergyman may have lived and died in melancholy, but this doesn’t seem to have (i)________ his genius in any way. On the contrary we find ourselves wondering whether his genius wasn’t (ii)________ in some mysterious way by his mood. Blank (i) A. influenced B. hampered C. triggered Blank (ii) D. served E. controlled F. identified5. The author argued that the field of sociology has been overly (i)________ partly because, for many scholars, the edges of the social universe are defined by national borders. In this era of increasing globalization, however, sociology is presented with a historically distinct opportunity to transcend its former (ii)________. Blank (i) A. narrow in scope B. susceptible to fades C. averse to empiricism Blank (ii) D. utilitarianism E. parochialism F. historicism 6. Applications of the Endangered Species Act (ESA) have fared best in contexts in which habitat condition is closely linked to species condition and the cause of habitat degradation is easily identified. The achievements of the ESA in those contexts, however, have (i)________ that other uses of the act can (ii)________ that record even where such favorable conditions do not (iii)________. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. quelled the conviction D. mitigate G. vary B. presaged the uncertainty E. duplicate H. pertain C. fostered the misconception F. elucidate I. diminish 7. Since some contemporary Western dieticians believe that the only function of food is to provide nourishment, these dieticians view an emphasis on the aesthetic dimension of the culinary arts as ________. A. unprecedented B. unwarranted C. illuminating D. groundless E. promising F. novel 8. Harper Lee’s narration in To Kill a Mockingbird is ________, mixing an adult’s and a child’s perspectives according to no logic other than the immediate exigencies of the plot. A. a paradigm B. a hodgepodge C. a model D. an innovation E. a patchwork F. an embarrasses 9. A clever form of diplomacy involves subtly inducing the other party to propose your preference so that your ________ their requests appear as the granting of concession. A. accession to B. inattention to C. subversion of D. abnegation of E. repudiation of F. acquiescence of 10. The employee had a reputation for fractiousness, but his coworkers found him to be on the contrary, quite ________. A. insightful B. affable C. sagacious D. capable E. easygoing F. productive Section 8 1. The idea of a “language instinct” may seem ________ to those who think of language as the zenith of the human intellect and of instincts as brute impulses. A. jarring B. plausible C. gratifying D. inevitable E. conciliatory 2. In contrast to such sparely populated terrestrial hesitates as desert and tundra, the oceans ________ with a seemingly endless array of creatures. A. teem B. flow C. evolve D. roil E. ebb 3. As E D explains, in eighteenth century England, writing plays (i)________ common. Even when the (ii)________ meant that playwriting did not bring personal fame, the work nevertheless enabled them to present their own views to the public and offered the possibility of acquiring capital. Blank (i) A. empowered B. overextended C. impressed Blank (ii) D. use of a pseudonym E. lack of a producer F. poor remuneration4. The national bank has been uncommonly powerful in comparison to its counterpoint in other nations. It retains this potency partly because its control of the nations banking system is (i)________ governmental interference, and thus its actions remain largely (ii)________ . Blank (i) A. unencumbered by B. replete with C. hindered by Blank (ii) D. compulsory E. discretionary F. bureaucratic5. Just because, as a photographer, Friedlander (i)________ places that most people consider ugly does not meant that he is out to prove they are beautiful. Instead, his work suggests that the photographer simply cannot ignore so much of the built American landscape but is obligated to (ii)________ what we pass through day in and day out, regardless of (iii)________. Blank (i) A. tends to avoid B. is harshly critical of C. is interested in Blank (ii) D. document E. emulate F. discredit Blank (iii) G. authenticity H. truthfulness I. aesthetic 6. Traditional Vietnamese culture has long promoted the idea of gender equality. Founding myths (i)________the equal division of labor in child care for mothers and fathers. As is often the case, however, theoretical commitments are (ii)________ actual processes. In reality, gender-based (iii) ________ persists. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. obscure D. incommensurate with G. parity B. celebrate E. surpassed by H. inclusiveness C. countermand F. inspired by I. stratification 7. Culture, like speech, is primarily a human faculty, although both functions may exist in a more ________ form in lesser primate. A. indispensable B. crucial C. primitive D. intelligible E. recognizable F. rudimentary 8. In mathematics, judgment about, the validity of prods are mediated by peer-reviewed jounrnal, to ensure ________ reviewers are carefully chosen by journal editors, and the identity of scholars whose papers are under consideration are kept secret. A. timelessness B. originality C. fairness D. comprehensiveness E. objectivity F. novelty 9. Jackie Wullschlager’s biography of Hans Christian Anderson ________ the insipid sweetness with which Anderson coated his life and reveals a vulnerable gingerbread man with a bitter almond where his heart should be. A. conjures up B. imagines C. strips away D. overlooks E. removes F. ignores 10. While it is always clear that the author’s message is heartfelt, it is mostly buried by shortcomings of style, organization, and production, although the book, does become more ________ toward the end. A. sincere B. intelligible C. orthodox D. readable E. frank F. voluble Section 9 1. The subject who were engaged in more difficult tasks ________ deterioration in their performance over time, and therefore the need to concentrate apparently enhances long-term efficiency. A B C D E elicited anticipated noticed displayed evaded hardly new, but rarely ________ by a faculty members of his2. The medical professor’s thesis distinction A. discounted B. ignored C. subverted D. underestimated E. espousedis that patients are more than the sum of their symptoms and systems.3. Contrary to those who fear the impact of invasive species on native plants, the biologist contend that the threat posed to biodiversity by nonnative species is often (i) ________. For instance, a study of garlic mustard, a nonnative plant now thriving in Minnesota’s oak forests, found that garlic mustard abundance in forest plots was not (ii) ________ the number of other plant species there. Blank (i) A. subtle B. uniform C. exaggerated Blank (ii) D. consistent with E. relate to F. sustained by4. Many of the towns that have voted to keep incinerators in the county’s solid waste plan have done so not because they necessarily (i) ________ incinerators, but because they are (ii) ________ to narrow their waste-disposal options. Blank (i) A. question B. favor C. oppose Blank (ii) D. willing E. eager F. loath5. Although movie critic Pauline Kael had a distaste for sycophancy, she also had a need for (i) ________, as a consequence of these competing feeling, she sent very (ii) ________ signals to friends and colleagues. Blank (i) A. solitude B. obeisance C. clarity Blank (ii) D. direct E. subtle F. mixed 6. A certain amount of theoretical frenzy about comics today is (i) ________, After all, similar frenzies have been in other art forms in periods of their rapid development, for instance, the debates about painting that roiled Renaissance Italy. But such intellectual (ii) ________ rarely precedes creative glory. On the contrary, it commonly indicates that an artistic (iii) ________, having been made and recognized, is over, and that a process of increasingly strained emulation and diminishing returns has set in. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. understandable D. torpor G. pitfall B. unprecedented E. conservation/-ism H. tradition C. perplexing F. arousal I. breakthrough 7. Scientists reported last month on a sign of relative solar ________: the solar wind, a rush of charged particles continually spewed from the sun at a million miles an hour, had diminished to its lowest level in 50 years. A. quiescence B. turbulence C. isolation D. calm E. remoteness F. instability 8. Publicity surrounding celebrities' donations to charity is often greeted with cynicism, but a study of celebrity donations shows that they do ________ other donations. A. preclude B. elicit C. allow D. draw E. bar F. replace 9. Aerial viewings of the gigantic stone horse attributed to the Native American Quechuan people fail to ________ considerable artistry required the horse appears crudely constructed unless carefully examined from the ground. A. reveal B. justify C. manifest D. mitigate E. diminish F. undercut 10. The laboratory maze has grown ever less ________ since it was first invented instead of hoping to lose a r today’s scientists design mazes to elicit a few simple easily measured behaviors. A. intricate B. extensive C. effective D. convoluted E. useful F. prevalent Section 10 1. The artist is known for making photographs that deal with politically charged subject matter, yet because her art is so evocative and open-ended, it would be wrong to characterize it as ________. A. B. C. D. E. polemical edifying unobservant innovative ambiguous2. Investors are grateful that the attorney general has stepped in to pursue inquiries into misfeasance in the financial markets, given that the regulators officially charged with policing the industry have been ________. A. diffident B. meticulous C. straightforward D. implacable E. tenacious 3. The author of this travel guide (i) ________ to show his readers Cairo as it really is, but his information is not reliable: for example, his geography is (ii) ________ with one walking tour covering areas of the city that are 20 miles apart. Blank (i) A. designs B. forbears C. purports Blank (ii) D. erratic E. erudite F. extensive4. The museum’s compelling new architectural exhibition looks at eleven projects around the world that had major (i)________ impact despite modest budgets. It is part of (ii)________ in the museum’s architecture and design department, which in the past has championed architecture’s artistic value over its real-world consequences. Blank (i) A. social B. aesthetic C. critical Blank (ii) D. an emphasis on theory E. a shift in philosophy F. a rejection in pragmatism5. Given children’s active fantasy lives, one might think of truthfulness as (i)________ virtue in young children, but it turns out that lying is the more (ii)________ skill. A child who is going to lie must recognize the truth, intellectually conceive of an alternate reality, and be able to convincingly sell that new reality to someone else. Therefore lying (iii)________ cognitive development and social skills in a way what honesty simply doesn’t. Blank (i) A. an instinctive B. an acquired C. an conscious Blank (ii) D. advanced E. practical F. mundane Blank (iii) G. undermines H. forgoes I. demands 6. Within the culture as a whole, the natural sciences have been so successful that the world “scientific” is often used in (i)________ manners: it is often assumed that to call something “scientific” is to imply that its reliability has been (ii)________ by methods whose results cannot reasonably be (iii) _______. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. an ironic B. a literal C. an honorific D. maligned E. challenged F. established G. exaggerated H. anticipated I. disputed7. The researcher noted that microbes, although ________, make up far more of the living protoplasm on Earth than all humans, animals and plants combined. A. invisible B. omnipresent C. diminutive D. ubiquitous E. minuscule F. ethereal 8. In matters of taste, the art patron and collector Peggy Guggenheim was ________: She was for the strangest, the most surprising, the most satisfying, the best, the unique. A. neophyte B. novice C. realist D. extremist E. pragmatic F. zealot 9. In Inuit culture, elaborate carving has often been used to enhance ________ object such as harpoon heads and other tools. A. utilitarian B. functional C. domestic D. decorative E. manufactured F. ornamental 10. Benjamin Franklin’s reputation is so much one of appearing scientific investigation with commonsense empiricism that it is somewhat startling to realize how ________ the great experiment’s mentoring truly was. A. reasonable B. speculative C. pragmatic D. conjectural E. careless F. judicious Section 11 1. For the urban researcher, the long lives of ancient cities can provide ample chronological data, making up for the paucity stemming from relative ________ of most present-day cities. A. complexity B. formlessness C. transparency D. diversity E. youthfulness 2. Even if he wants to serve again ―― and given his obvious love for the job, the assumption among insiders is that he is more likely to stay than go ―― there is at least ________ his serving another term. A. impediment to B. incentive for C. precedent for D. benefit in E. rationale for 3. Nordhaus predict that in the future we will increasingly be (i)________ ecological problems like global warming rather than (ii)________ them. We may, for example, make some headway in limiting emission that contribute to warming, but much of our work will be in adapting to ecological problems and alleviating their effect. Blank (i) A. managing B. analyze C. transcending Blank (ii) D. solving E. addressing F. mitigating4. What they see in Tanoka is the one candidate capable of (i)________ leadership, in direct contrast to Williamson, whose term in office has been marred by (ii) ________. Blank (i) A. compassionate B. decisive C. nepotistic Blank (ii) D. grandstanding E. partisanship F. vacillation5. Partly because of Lee’s skill at synthesizing (i) ________ trends drawn form many fields of study, her theories appeared to present, with uncanny optness, ideas already (ii) ________ in the minds of her contemporaries. Blank (i) A. superseded B. irrelevant C. emergent Blank (ii) D. discredited E. well established F. half-formulated 6. Unlike most other serious journals, which drain money from their owners. The Review has long been (i)________. But the formula is not without its imperfections, which have grown more pronounced in recent years. The publication has always been erudite and (ii) ________, but not always lively and readable. (iii) ________, accompanied by a certain aversion to risk taking, has pervaded its pages for a long time. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. lucrative D. authoritative G. An originality B. realistic E. animated H. An impulsiveness C. unesteemed F. trendy I. A staleness 7. Far form ________ innovations, as the patent system was designed to do, the patenting of concepts such as gene sequences gives individuals and corporations a legal choice hold over ideas that should be useful to all. A. spurring B. recognizing C. codifying D. acknowledging E. fostering F. cataloging 8. During the Renaissance, the use of optical lenses, which were capable of projecting images onto blank canvases, greatly aided artists by allowing them to accurately observe and depict the external world, in other words, these lenses were instrumental in conveying ________. A. idealism B. optimism C. ambition D. realism E. sanguinity F. verisimilitude 9. The professor’s habitual air of ________ was misleading front, concealing amazing reserves of patience and a deep commitment to his students’ learning. A. cordiality B. irascibility C. disorganization D. conviviality E. diffidence F. exasperation 10. Advocates for workers’ rights have adopted a new strategy, one that will require considerable ingenuity but that if successful, could ________ a movement aimed at making labor rights an unassailable feather of American democracy. A. frustrate B. galvanize C. presume D. affect E. animate F. thwart Section 12 1. Barring the discovery of new letters, hidden diaries, the like, the fresh information about eminent people is hard to find because their lives have been so intensely ________. A. Ridiculed B. scrutinized C. admired D. embellished E. underrated 2. Despite having only recently learned to walk, toddlers make the most (i) ________ dance students. Their joy in movement is so pure, so complete, and so (ii) ________. Blank (i) A. skilled B. inattentive C. delightful Blank (ii) D. futile E. irrelevant F. contagious3. Tagore had a sharply defined sense of the (i) ________ of scientific inquiry. The fact that science dealt in statics and numbers, that its logic was probabilistic, meant that the domain of moral questions (ii) ________ it: moral questions ,for Tagore, required certainties not probabilities. Blank (i) A. irrationality B. limits C. futility Blank (ii) D. guarded over E. lay outside F. was subject to4. The modern iron suspension bridge dates from the early nineteenth century, but it did not have (i)________ debut, many early suspension bridges were damaged, if not outright destroyed, by the wind. There were few (ii)________, however, so the form (iii)________. Blank (i) A. a propitious B. a conspicuous C. an equivocal Blank (ii) D. obvious parallels E. practical alternatives F. unnoticed instances Blank (iii) G. declined H. inspired I. persisted5. The experimental theater company’s members know that their performances (i)________ an audience that they were dense and unpredictable and not always easy to digest. But none of the techniques used would be (ii)________ anyone with an interest in music or film. Indeed, they would seem strange only to people who expected to see traditionally crafted plays. The actors therefore felt that theater critics’ derisive commentary should only that the critics (iii)________ the company’s work. Blank (i) A. made demands on B. had to command C. were sure to please Blank (ii) D. contemplated by E. alien to F. intuitive for Blank (iii) G. lambasted H. exploited I. misunderstand 6. The characters in this comic strip fret about the (i) ________ of their “little counterculture lives”, especially when terrible things are happening in the world, but the cartoonist makes their lives (ii)________ in ways that do not seem (iii) ________ at all. Real things happen here----births, deaths, adoptions, breakup, commitments, ceremonies, civil union----and the matter. Blank (i) A. unpredictability B. arduousness C. triviality Blank (ii) D. stagnate E. resonate F. compete Blank (iii) G. outlandish H. inconsequential I. intangible7. One ________ is that so far, Web services have turned out to be much harder to deliver than their champions had hope. A. hope B. snag C. prospect D. hitch E. upshot F. reason 8. Asserting a need to preserve the ________ that became the hallmark of her predecessor's tenure, the new director of federal monetary policy refused to subscribe to rigid or mechanistic rules in policy making. A. firmness B. adaptability C. unpredictability D. autonomy E. strictness F. flexibility 9. Wilson is wont to emphasize the ________ of ants, how ants with full stomachs will regurgitate liquid food for those without, or how the old will fight so the young can survive. A. beneficence B. altruism C. unpredictability D. intelligence E. fecundity F. fertility 10. At first, most of the famous fairy tales seem so implausible and so irrelevant to contemporary life that their ________ is hard to understand. A. universality B. persistence C. appeal D. ephemerality E. survival F. transience Section 13 1. My grandma has a strong belief in all things ________: she insists, for example, that the house in which she lived as a child was haunted. A. B. C. D. E. clamorous invidious numinous empirical sonorous2. Consolidating memory is not instantaneous or even ________: every memory must be encoded and moved from short-term to long-term storage, and some of these memories are, for whatever reason, move vividly imprinted than others. A. salutary B. deliberate C. sequential D. momentary E. inevitable 3. Many of the unusual behaviors attributed to crows ― such as drinking coffee or presenting gifts to people who feed them ― are based on (i)________ and therefore fall into the category of (ii)________ rather than science. Blank (i) A. long-term observation B. controlled experiments C. secondhand testimony Blank (ii) D. anecdote E. speculation F. hypothesis4. The notion of film producers as the ogres of the movie business has proved an (i)________ one, but according to The Producers by Tim Adler, it is not always grounded in reality. Attacking what he calls the “auteur myth” ― the idea of the director as the single purveyor of art in an industry otherwise people with (ii)________ ― he places at the heart of his book an image of the producer, not the director, as the primary (iii)________ force in the development and production of a movie. Blank (i) A. accurate B. hypocritic C. enduring Blank (ii) D. visionaries E. profitmongers F. innocents Blank (iii) G. financial H. inertial I. creative5. The (i) ________ nature of the candidate’s comments is calculated. As a long-standing target of critics who regard him as a radical, he understand that he needs to be (ii)________ as possible if he is to overcome those critiques and appear as a (iii)________ leader. Blank (i) A. opprobrious B. platitudinous C. pugnacious Blank (ii) D. innocuous E. truculent F. supercilious Blank (iii) G. polarizing H. cautious I. conciliatory 6. The new art museum’s (i)________ building augurs well for that ambitious institution because it speaks of (ii)________ contemporary architecture on the part of the board of directors that may (iii)________ equal astuteness about contemporary art. Blank (i) A. nondescript B. outstanding C. outdated Blank (ii) D. a discernment about E. a hostility toward F. an intoxication by Blank (iii) G. conceal H. supplant I. promise7. Members of union’s negotiating team insisted on several changes to company’s proposal before they would support it, making it clear that they would ________ no compromise. A. disclose B. reject C. brook D. tolerate E. repudiate F. weigh 8. Excessive focus on what might have been can cause in us feelings of restlessness and regret, but some scientists are beginning to think that it might cause ________ as well. A. subtle B. adverse C. restorative D. pleasurable E. unfavorable F. tonic 9. Apparent flaws in the sculptor’s work have not ________ its respectful reception by most modern critics. A. determined B. controlled C. undermined D. prevented E. overshadowed F. precluded 10. Williamson had a fierce commitment to achieving an accord, spending enormous amount of time trying to forge a consensus out of an often ________ assembly. A. apathetic B. fractious C. restive D. cynical E. compliant F. tractable Section 14 1. In the solar system, collisions involving cosmic object are among the most ________ processes shaping surfaces : images of many solar objects show a proliferation of impact craters formed throughout the past 4.5 billion years. A. cataclysmic B. pervasive C. misleading D. uncontrollable E. random 2. Many creative photographers were delighted to find in instant photography a mode that encourage them to stop viewing photography as ________ and start viewing it as something they could handle with spontaneity, even derision. A. sacrosanct B. ephemeral C. malleable D. egalitarian E. autonomous 3. Recent scholarship has questioned the (i)________ of tropical forests aroused the world, archaeologists have shown, for example, that the largest contiguous tract of what was thought to be virgin forest in the southern Amazon had been transformed into a cultural parkland before European contact, and many of the forest island in West Africa’s savanna forest transition zone are (ii)________ as well. Blank (i) A. diversity B. naturalness C. sustainability Blank (ii) D. isolated E. endangered F. anthropogenic4. The research found that in assessing others, many people hold an unconscious view that competence and warmth are (i)________: when they perceive a person to be highly capable, they infer that he or she must have a tendency to be (ii)________. Blank (i) A. equally important B. mutually reinforcing C. inversely related Blank (ii) D. ambitious E. unfeeling F. disingenuous5. Mr. Stevens found that home schooling, far from representing (i) ________ philosophy (ii) ________ some of the most widely accepted education ideas: that children should be treated as individuals, taught in small numbers, and given a measure of discretion over their own learning. Blank (i) A. a benign B. an orthodox C. an anomalous Blank (ii) D. overcomes E. embodies F. anticipates 6. Most capuchin monkey conflict involves such a (i) ________ repertoire of gestural and vocal signals that it is difficult for researchers to tease apart the meaning of the individual signals. This (ii) ________ is (iii)________ by the fact that many signals seem to shift in meaning according to the context in which they are produced and the developmental stage of the individuals producing them. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. precise D. problem G. augmented B. rich E. opportunity H. ameliorated C. straightforward F. oversight I. anticipated 7. Architects may be more extroverted and therefore the more ________ members of a bridge design team but they are not always the most essential. A. indispensable B. conscientious C. reliable D. visible E. valuable F. salient 8. Although scientific progress leads to constant revision of ideas, one observation that has remained ________ over the years is that there are a lot of insects in the world: some 950,000 species have been identified. A. robust B. significant C. strong D. perplexing E. confounding F. obscure 9. Anne Carson’s book Nox is, very deliberately, ________ literary object -- the opposite of an e-reader, which is designed to vanish in your palm as you read on a train. A. an evanescent B. a cumbersome C. an immutable D. an unwieldy E. an ephemeral F. an flexible 10. One of the peculiarities of human is that we irrationally gravitate to the predictable and avoid risk, whatever the reason for this ________, it is hardly a sound basis for dealing with complex, long-term problems. A. eccentricity B. predilection C. vacillation D. proclivity E. wavering F. cowardice Section 15 1. Some ethicists worry that a deeper understanding of the brain may be tantamount to ________: if we discover that free will is an illusion of neural circuitry, how will we hold people responsible for their actions? A. vindication B. proscription C. ministration D. valediction E. exculpation 2. The stories in Yiyun Li’s recent collection are distinctive particularly for the strong contrast between their emotional intensity and their consistently ________ tone. A. affable B. ebullient C. measured D. irascible E. overwrought 3. Scholarly works on detective stories often begin with (i) ________, suggesting that there is something vaguely wrong with adults who spend their time to reading such fiction and certainly something (ii) ________ those who devote energy to its analysis. Blank (i) A. chronologies B. apologies C. synopses Blank (ii) D. awry in E. astute about F. courageous about4. So, perhaps the lesson is that rather than wanting their monarchy to (i) ________ its modernized Scandinavian counterparts, the British public cherished it most when it is most (ii) ________. Blank (i) A. commend B. discount C. emulate Blank (ii) D. egalitarian E. anachronistic F. regal5. He was never (i) ________: he was nothing if not (ii) ________, so he forbore for the present to declare his passion. Blank (i) A. chivalrous B. impetuous C. thoughtful Blank (ii) D. boorish E. circumspect F. spontaneous 6. Although political events in different countries were not (i) ________ in the nineteenth century, their interrelationship was (ii) ________ compared with the present, when interdependence has become far greater: (iii) ________ has ceased to be an option. Blank (i) Blank (ii) A. unconnected B. trivial C. simultaneous D. conditional E. superficial F. transparent Blank (iii) G. isolationism H. resilience I. idealism7. Well organized and researched and including all significant discoveries and medical scientists, this history of western medicine has justly been called ________. A. encyclopedic B. long-winded C. exhaustive D. rambling E. overbearing F. undiscriminating 8. Science is arguably a very high minded pursuit, but that is not to say that all of its practitioners are ________, as numerous articles alleging overly generous pharmaceutical industry payments to medical researchers has tried to show. A. conventional B. clever C. unimpeachable D. ingenious E. blameless F. predictable 9. In a field of egotists, Bloom field is ________, often praising her competitors and punctuating her correspondence with self-depreciating remarks. A. unassuming B. complimentary C. acerbic D. ingenuous E. cutting F. modest 10. Because its previously ________ beliefs had become core tenets of mainstream politics, the acti with no more skeptics to persuade, its purpose had evaporated. A. arcane B. seditious C. quixotic D. idealistic E. popular F. conventional Section 16 1. Politician who invoke the founders of the United States in support of their views seem to imply that t he founders consistently concurred in their own views when in reality they were a highly ________ group of thinkers. A. B. C. D. E. erudite innovative predictable contentious methodical2. Of all her works, this play is the most dependent on the dramatic conventions of the author’ it was both the least ________ of her plays and the most commercially successful. A. experimental B. popular C. formulaic D. lucrative E. contemporary 3. One way to predict the effect of global climate change on an ecosystem is to extrapolate current trend in global change factors into the future. A (i)________ of this method is that its predictions (ii)________ actual observations but the method also makes the questionable assumption that the future will resemble the present. Blank (i) A. virtue B. drawback C. peculiarity Blank (ii) D. dispense with E. derive from F. improve upon4. Just because as a photographer, Friendlander (i)________ places that most people consider ugly not mean that he is our to prove they are beautiful. Instead, his work suggests that the photographer simply cannot ignore so much of the built American landscape but is obligated to (ii)________ what we pass through day in and day out regardless of (iii)________. Blank (i) Blank (ii) A. tends to avoid B. is harshly critical of C. is interested in D. document E. emulate F. discredit Blank (iii) G. authenticity H. truthfulness I. aesthetics5. China’s rapidly growing population is the main threat facing large carnivores in the People’s Republic. Increasingly policies aimed at limiting population growth have been (i)________, nevertheless, the country’s vast size and the isolation of many of its regions mean that human populations in areas where large carnivores still occur (ii)________. This human pressure has (iii)________ the south China tiger. Blank (i) A. modified B. deemphasized C. implemented Blank (ii) D. could start to decline E. can grow unchecked F. have stabilized Blank (iii) G. celebrated H. doomed I. bypassed 6. Behavioral economist have come to believe that a (i)________ of choices can be paralyzing as Schwartz pointed out in the recent book The Paradox of choice studies of retirement plans show that the more investment choices a plan offers. The less likely people are to participate in it. It may follow, then that a lack of flexibility in certain plans may actually be a (ii)________. People reasonably (iii)________ some advantages in exchange for peace of mind. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. surfeit D. virtue G. foresee B. reduction E. conundrum H. forestall C. stabilization F. revelation I. forgo 7. It is hardly ________ the committee calls for: rudimentary competence would be an improvement on the current chaos. A. accountability B. disarray C. unruliness D. faultlessness E. loyalty F. perfection 8. Explorers could not build each other's knowledge if they could not trust the records of previous explorers, thus exploration depended on the ________ of those who had gone before. A. collegiality B. endurance C. exactitude D. meticulousness E. eminence F. tenacity 9. Although its director ________ that the movie uses a documentary approach in portraying the famous sit-down strike, in practice its characters are heavily fictionalized and fall into familiar Hollywood types. A. asserts B. concedes C. guarantees D. disputes E. grants F. maintains 10. Joshua Gisemba Bagaka found that the pedagogical results of group projects and other engaged learning activities in Kenyan mathematics classroom were ________; such activities, then, may not be the best way of improving mathematics education. A. overstated B. counterintuitive C. mixed D. discouraging E. inconsistent F. inexplicable Section 17 1. Though we live in an era of stunning scientific achievement, many otherwise educated people remain indifferent to or contemptuous of such achievement, even going so far as to ______ their ignorance of basic physics. A. decry B. condone C. remedy D. boast of E. downplay 2. Carmen’s affection for her sister, though not _____, was plainly too great to permit a painless departure. A. unsteady B. ambivalent C. careless D. unbounded E. noticeable 3. A (i)________ to disseminate the vast scientific knowledge of our time to nonscientists show real (ii)________ the magnificent achievement humanity is capable of, like allowing a great work of art to molder in a warehouse. Blank (i) A. triumph B. failure C. diffusion Blank (ii) D. indifference to E. enthusiasm for F. glory of4. So (i)________ is the reputation of the city’s police force for (ii)________ that whenever a new police chief take office, he or she routinely promises to clean up the force. Blank (i) A. persistent B. recent C. discouraging Blank (ii) D. corruption E. efficiency F. inexperience5. Readers may initially be irked by the book’s apparent (i)________, but, once immersed in the author’s prose, they may come to regard the works (ii)________ as an asset. Blank (i) A. flippancy B. aimlessness C. tendentiousness Blank (ii) D. subtlety E. discursions F. exhaustiveness 6. Laws protecting intellectual property are intended to simulate creativity, yet some forms of creative work never enjoyed legal protection a situation that ought to be of great interest, if we see certain form of creative endeavor (i)________ as a result of uncontrolled copying, we might decided to (ii)________ intellectual property law. Conversely, if unprotected creative work (iii)________ in the absence of legal rules against copying, we would do well to know how such flourishing is sustained. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. languishing D. jettison G. declines in originality B. proliferating E. extend H. manages to thrive C. diversifying F. relax I. openly invites imitation 7. The major ________ of much popular history is that it betrays no interest in making intellectual contributions to our understanding of an issue. A. characteristic B. shortcoming C. dilemma D. quandary E. ploy F. fault 8. Excessive focus on what might have been can cause in us feelings of restlessness and regret, but some scientists are beginning to think that fancying an alternative reality might have ________ effect as well. A. subtle B. adverse C. restorative D. pleasurable E. unfavorable F. tonic 9. Doris Kearns Goodwin’s elegant, incisive study of Lincoln ____ those whose knowledge of Lincoln is an amalgam of high school history and popular mythology as well as those who are experts. A. gratify B. entice C. inspire D. confuse E. perplex F. please 10. Although in his new book he tends to repeat himself like a _______ uncle, McHughen makes a persuasive case for the safety of tinkering with genes to create new food. A. taciturn B. reserved C. prototypical D. cantankerous E. loquacious F. garrulous Section 18 1. If the study proves that bears are still endemic to the area, the proposal to introduce additional bears of the same species will probably face less opposition, since the plan would then involve ________ a historic population, not trying to build population from scratch. A. reclassifying B. augmenting C. forestalling D. publicizing E. winnowing 2. The (i)________ of molecular oxygen on Earth-sized planets around other stars in the universe would not be (ii)________ sign of life: molecular oxygen can be a signature of photosynthesis (a biotic process) or merely of the rapid escape of water from the upper reaches of a planetary atmosphere (an abiotic process). Blank (i) Blank (ii) A. dearth D. a controversial B. presumption E. an unambiguous C. detection F. a possible 3. The author argued that the field of sociology has been overly (i)________ partly because, for many scholars, the edges of the social universe are defined by national borders. In this era of increasing globalization, however, sociology is presented with a historically distinct opportunity to transcend its former (ii)________. Blank (i) Blank (ii) A. narrow in scope D. utilitarianism B. susceptible to fades E. parochialism C. averse to empiricism F. historicism4. Now that photographic prints have become a popular field for collecting, auctions are becoming more (i)________. It is not just the entry of new collectors into the field that is causing this intensification. Established collectors’ interests are also becoming more (ii)________. Those who once concentrated on the work of either the nineteenth-century pioneers, or the twentieth-century modernists are now keen to have (iii)________ collections. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. competitive D. fickle G. comprehensive B. tedious E. wide-ranging H. legitimate C. exclusive F. antiquarian I. impressive 5. Although Thaler employs an innovative mode of analysis, his study offers yet another examination of quite (i)________ ground-namely, the cultural ideology of Norwegian-American preservationist writers in the early twentieth century. The history, literature, and changing internal dynamics of the Norwegian subculture in America constitute a particularly well-studied area. Anyone familiar with the authoritative work of scholars in the field will (ii)________ little in Thaler’s study that is (iii)________. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. unfamiliar D. find G. accurate B. well-worked E. understand H. new C. fruitful F. reveal I. recognizable 6. If you wish to make a novel (i)________ a field of study, you must master what scholars have already said on the subject but at the same time keep in mind the (ii)________ received opinion, which can (iii)________ a nascent idea before it can develop Blank (i) A. contribution to B. depiction of C. attack upon Blank (ii) D. temptation to reject E. fundamental wisdom of F. oppressive influence of Blank (iii) G. quash H. embrace I. inspire7. In a book that inclines to ________ an epilogue arguing that ballet is dead arrives simply as one more over statement. A. pessimism B. misinterpretation C. imprecision D. vagueness E. exaggeration F. hyperbole 8. Not only was this writer content to leave the reading public in the dark, she seems to have ________ the role of trickster, seeding her works with apparent clues that led nowhere. A. rejected B. disdained C. relished D. participated in E. delighted in F. developed 9. William Perkins, his ________ speaking style notwithstanding, has long been seen as the moderate face of his political party. A. fiery B. genteel C. bumbling D. unremarkable E. affable F. impassionate 10. The political upheaval caught most people by surprise: despite the ________ warnings of some commentators, it had never seemed that imminent. A. stern B. prescient C. prophetic D. indifferent E. repeated F. apathetic Section 19 1. Slight but ________variation in the timing of the star's pulses led astronomers to deduce that it was being pulled backwards and forwards by three planets orbiting around it. A. subtle B. regular C. undetectable D. inconsequential E. explicable 2. Blake’s reputation for weakness is________: almost all who have worked with him say he is a disciplined, intellectually formidable, and very tough politician. A. specious B. pervasive C. irreversible D. trivial E. ambivalent 3. Unlike the elected branches of the United States government, where making personal connection with citizens is (i)________ and almost (ii)________ political efficacy, the United States Supreme Court continues to maintain that its members should communicate with the public almost exclusively through formed opinions ― and even then through ceremonial rituals that date back to the nineteenth century. Blank (i) A. frowned upon B. rampant C. disregarded Blank (ii) D. a requirement for E. a detriment F. an irrelevance to4. Scientists said that cosmology was the field where the ratio of theory to data was (i)________: there was an abundance of theories, but almost no data. Recently, however, that ratio has flipped. A huge and ever-increasing amount of data has (ii)________ all theories but one. Blank (i) A. completely unknown B. nearly infinite C. always various Blank (ii) D. eliminated E. supported F. clarified5. The material covered in this article has been (i)________ in previous publications, and since currently neglected areas remained unexplored, the article contains no (ii)________. Blank (i) A. skirted B. scrutinized C. countered Blank (ii) D. revelations E. distortions F. conclusions 6. The historian of ancient science Otto Neugebauer concluded that Babylonian astronomical texts are (i)________ because everything has been eliminated from the astronomy except observations and the mathematical consequences of an initial hypothesis about the fundamental character of the astronomical movements. This judgment cohered with the high level of mathematical theory. Which (ii)________ mathematical computation together with empirical observation as (iii)________ of science and denied any role to speculative hypotheses of a strongly theoretical nature. Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii) A. questionable D. repudiated G. end result B. scientific E. admitted H. necessary characteristics C. limited F. confounded I. discredited path 7. Noise suppression in phones can play an important role in making cellphone networks more efficient, since when sounds that are ________ to the meaningful signal are transmitted, precious network bandwidth is wasted. A. unsuitable B. detrimental C. irrelevant D. confined E. limited F. extraneous 8. The reconstruct known work is beautiful and also probably ____: it is the only Hebrew verse written by a woman. A. singular B. unique C. archaic D. counterfeit E. valuable F. fake 9. Joshua Gisemba Bagaka found that the pedagogical results of group projects and other engaged learning activities in Kenyan mathematics classroom were ________; such activities, then, may not be the best way of improving mathematics education. A. overstated B. counterintuitive C. mixed D. discouraging E. inconsistent F. inexplicable 10. Much of the literature of railroad seeks someone to _______, and it is thus replete with encomiums on entrepreneurs and managers. A. indict B. rehabilitate C. exalt D. valorize E. emulate F. excoriate Section 20 1. Though the volume of radioactive waste produced by nuclear power plants is ________ , the problem of how to dispose of that waste is not: rather, it is of major importance. A. unmanageable B. troubling C. significant D. small E. deceptive 2. Investors are grateful that the attorney general has stepped in to pursue inquiries into misfeasance in the financial markets, given that the regulators officially charged with policing the industry have been ________. A. diffident B. meticulous C. straightforward D. implacable E. tenacious 3. The author suggests that cinema archives should become more like museums, justifying their existence by selecting, grouping and commenting on important films. By thus (i)________ films, archives would not only serve as repositories but would provide (ii)________ as well. Blank (i) A. improving B. restoring C. interpreting Blank (ii) D. conservation E. education F. income4. Argument may be an overly (i)________ word to apply to the gossamer contrivance that is A summer of Hummingbirds. In what seems a self-conscious (ii)________ of its mascot the book flits from one subject or moment in history to another, following the various whim of its author. Blank (i) A. archaic B. imprecise C. robust Blank (ii) D. repudiation E. emulation F. misrepresentation5. The skin of the poison dart frog contains deadly poisons called batrachotoxins. But the (i) ________ of the toxins has remained an enigma, as the f

我要回帖

更多关于 keep the real man 的文章

随机推荐