the cat want her back rubbed 是不是css 省略号了to be

以下短语和句子均来自。
No sooner had it stopped raining than a beautiful rainbow appeared.
雨刚停,天空中就出现了一道美丽的彩虹。
no sooner … than指“一……就……”,表示后者紧跟前者发生。no sooner部分为主句,常用过去完成时,than引导时间状语从句,常用一般过去时。在原句中,no sooner位于句首,表强调,主句部分必须倒装,而than后面的部分不用倒装。原句还可以换一种说法,即:
It had no sooner stopped raining than a beautiful rainbow appeared.
与no sooner … than用法、释义类似的还有hardly/scarcely/rarely … when。除此以外,我们也可以用到如下的表达法:
1. as soon as
2. immediately/instantly/directly
3. the moment/minute/instant/second
4. shortly/soon after,5.on+动名词
If you say that no sooner has one thing happened than another thing happens, you mean that the second thing happens immediately after the first thing.
My brother makes it a rule to look over the newspaper before going to his office.
我哥哥通常会浏览完报纸再去办公室。
make it a rule to do something指“有做某事的习惯,通常”,也可以写作make a rule of。
look over意指“快速翻阅,浏览”,类似的还有glance through/at,skim through,browse through等。
look over是指快速查阅,旨在了解大意;glance through/at侧重的是耗时短,并未仔细查看;skim through是非正式用语,指略读、速读;browse through指随意翻阅、浏览。
If you look something over, you examine it quite quickly in order to get a general idea of what it is like.
See to that you do not leave your umbrella behind.
注意不要把你的伞落下。
see to可指“留意,注意”,也可指“照看,处理”,如:“I have to see to something.”我得去处理些事情。需要注意的是,如果你说see that或see to it that,后接完成某事,意指“确保、保证”,如:“See that you take care of the baby.”,一定要照顾好孩子。
leave behind的释义比较多,可指“抛下,永远离开”,如:“He left his wife behind.”他抛下了自己的妻子。在本句中,leave behind指“留下”,人走了,伞还在。
If you leave behind an object or a situation, it remains after you have left a place.
She assisted her mother in caring for the baby.
她帮母亲照顾宝宝。
assist指“帮助、协助”,可以是通过分担部分工作来协助,也可以是提供信息、意见或金钱的协助。通常用作assist someone at/in/with something,其中assist in后可接动名词。如果我们说something assists in doing something,则指前者于后者有助益、起促进作用。
If you assist someone, you help them to do a job or task by doing part of the work for them.
care for常用作“照料、照顾”,这里就不赘述了。除此以外,care for还可表示“喜欢,爱”,如:“I don’t care for that book.”我不喜欢那本书;也指有礼貌的询问是否“愿意,需要”,如:“Would you care for a cup of coffee?”来杯咖啡怎么样?
If you care for someone or something, you look after them and keep them in a good state or condition.
You should make the most of this rare opportunity to demonstrate your talent.
你应该充分利用这个难得的机会来展示你的才华。
make the most of指“充分利用”,这里的利用还有“及时”的意思,如原句中说机会难得,make the most of暗指机会易逝。表示“充分利用”的还有make the best/most/utmost of,或take full advantage of,get the utmost out of。
Make the most of something refers to take full advantage of something because it may not last long.
以上短语和句子均来自,还没用过的贝友,可以哦~
以下翻译主要来自,感谢的指导!
出于一些个人原因,我必须在女友和工作之间做出选择,我真的很爱我的女友,但这份工作是我梦寐以求的,工资是现在的5倍。我该怎么做才好?
Essentially, I have to pick between love and an incredible career due to relocation etc. I absolutely cannot have both.
大体上来说,因为工作地点的变更,我必须在爱情和一份极其理想的工作等之间做出选择,两者不能兼得。
Answered by Justin Cremer
Justin Cremer的回复:
I had this choice once. I chose the girl.
我也有过这种抉择,我当时选了爱情。
It is the only regret I have in my life.
而这是我一生中唯一的遗憾。
The job was on a NASCAR pit crew.
我本来可以在全国运动汽车竞技协会(NASCAR)当后勤维修人员。
The girl is long-gone. As was the NASCAR opportunity by the time that was sorted out.
现在女友早就离开我了,NASCAR的工作机会也更是在我们分手之前就不复存在了。
The most important thing that stands out to me from here, now, is “why did I perceive these to be mutually exclusive choices?” That was a false problem. If she really loved me, the job wouldn’t have stood in the way. We could have worked it out together.
现在,我觉得最重要的一点是:“为什么当初我会把这看成是一个两难的抉择呢?”不应该有这样的问题啊。如果她真的爱我,工作绝不会是我们之间的阻碍。我和她完全可以一起想办法来解决。
Love always finds a way.
爱不是总能穿云破雾吗?
No, what’s clear to me now is that I created a false dilemma because I didn’t believe I was worthy to do what I really dreamed of doing.
不,不是的,我现在才很清楚的知道,我当初是自找烦恼。因为我不相信自己的价值,而放弃去做自己真正想做的事(注1)。
I created a false problem and it was an excuse to avoid my fear of being exposed as a below-average engineer. NOW – today – I know that I’m not below average. Back then, I wasn’t sure. NOW I know I’m great. And that has nothing to do with anyone else – or the averages of those anyone else’s.
我捏造了一个问题,也正好给了自己一个借口,我害怕自己只是一个资质平平的工程师。现如今,我知道我并不比别人差,但以前,我并不确信。现在我知道我很优秀,这与他人无关——或者说与其他人的平均水平无关。
I threw away my life’s dream because I was scared.
曾经,因为胆怯,我放弃了自己毕生的梦想。
So I’ll pose the same question to you: why do you perceive these to be mutually exclusive? Are they really?
现在我要对你提出同样的问题:为什么你会认为爱情和工作不可调节,必须二选其一?事实真的如此吗?
Choose the career and the relationship becomes difficult not impossible. Choose to pass on the career choice and that career choice is now impossible, not difficult.
选择工作的话,维系你们的关系会有点困难,但并不是不可能。而如果你放弃这个工作机会,这个机会将马上溜走,一点也不困难。
My advice is to get real with yourself. Keep asking why you want what you want and why to that answer and why to the answer of that until you land on “real.”
我的建议是直面自己。多问问你到底想要什么,为什么你要这么选择,为什么你选这个而不选那个,直到你认识到“真我”。
You know what you want. It’s in there. You owe it to yourself to be real. Then you can have a fair conversation with her about what you want, what she wants, and how it might work. You owe it to her too.
你知道你要的是什么。答案就在你心中。你应该诚实面对自己,然后你才能公平地和她谈你想要什么,而她又希望得到什么,怎样才能两全其美。这也是你应该为她做的。
Answered by Susie Johnson
Susie Johnson的回复:
My old psychology lecturer taught me this one.
我以前的心理学讲师教过我一个窍门。
Flip a coin. But do not focus on whether it comes up heads or tails.
抛一枚硬币。不要关注它掉下来后是正面朝上还是反面朝上。
Instead, focus on the moment the coin went into the air. What were you hoping would happen? Were you hoping it would be tails and that the universe is telling you to stay with your beautiful partner? Or were you hoping it would be heads, to take a risk on that new job venture? Believe me, you already know what you want. Bring the answer into your consciousness!
注意体会抛硬币的那一瞬。你希望会发生什么?你是希望硬币反面朝上,这样就表示老天注定你要选择你漂亮的女友?或者是你希望硬币正面朝上,然后你大可去冒险尝试新职业?相信我,你其实已经知道你想要什么了。认真思考一下你的答案吧。
Good luck.
祝你好运。:)
注1(采编自于的回复):
The girl is long-gone. As was the NASCAR opportunity by the time that was sorted out.
这两句话是需要放在一起的(也不是所有的美国人写作都很严谨)。这里的that指的是跟女朋友的恋情,因为回复请人的那份新工作就一句话的事,不会跟雇主sort it out。需要sort out得是诸如“爱我就跟我走”、“爱我就别走”等等。等到这些都理清了,人家早就雇用别人了! 不幸的是,这理清的爱情是发现原来你不是那么爱我。
现在女朋友早就飞了!NASCAR的工作机会也更是在我们分手前就飞了!
by the time是用另外一个不同的事情来reference时间,所以that不能是NASCAR的工作机会。Therefore ‘that’ has to reference something else and the closest thing to this sentence is ‘The girl is long-gone.’
这句“was sorted out”含有的意思是,他们两人因男方有外地工作的机会起了不同意见的争执,所以需要sort out。女方可以说爱我就别离开我,男的说爱我就跟我走。也许女方自己有很好的事业、家人或环境,不愿意放弃等等。等到双方都明白了彼此不愿为对方放下什么,“事情就有了个结果”那就是分手了,而大好的工作机会也早有别人占去了。
所以that指的是“她有没有爱我爱到愿意跟我远走他乡”,“be sorted out”则是有了结果、一个了断,前句的“The girl is long-gone”就是结果。“When that was sorted out”还常带有“当大家都认清楚了真相”的意思在里面。从下文可以看出作者的不满:“If she really loved me, the job wouldn’t have stood in the way.”
The most important thing that stands out to me from here, now, is “why did I perceive these to be mutually exclusive choices?” … No, what’s clear to me now is that I created a false dilemma because I didn’t believe I was worthy to do what I really dreamed of doing.
这一段还有两个关卡就是“… that stands out to me …”与“No, what’s clear to me now …”
前一个关卡说的是作者行文至此,就以现在式的口吻(… from here, now, is …)说当时(… why did I …),意思是提出一个很明显(stands out)的你我都会问的问题,甚至引用一句 cliche(Love always finds a way.)。这一段话需要带上一分自嘲、两分对空口说爱情的讽刺的口气来理解,翻译才会对味。
第二个关卡是作者回答自己 (No, what is clear to me know is …),不是那么回事,当时他自己也以为是爱,对爱有很多幢憬 (Love always finds a way!),想要“晓以大爱”来挽回一切。最后觉悟到他们之间的爱是那么经不起考验时,工作的机会已成了“时不与我”,而自己当年其实是逃避,却以爱情来作借口,所以他要提问者确确实实地面对自己。
我的中文不好,所以这里的翻译只是表达的英文的口气。
“话说到这里,你我很明显的想到:‘当时为何我会把它看成是一个两难的抉择呢?’不应该有这样的问题啊。她若真的爱我,去远地工作岂会是一种拦阻呢?我们大可以一起想出法子来!
爱不是总能破云见雾吗?
不,不是的! 现在我才很清楚的知道……”
意思是说:你提出两难,那我就告诉你,之所以会是两难,一是你们的爱情是虚假的,所以不要有任何妄想,觉得留下来就会live happily after(我当时以为我是这个例子)。不然就是二:你根本是在因恐惧而以“为爱牺牲”作为逃避的借口(我后来才明白我其实是这个例子)。若是你们的爱坚固,若是你真有信心胜任新的工作,那你也不会在Quora问这个问题了。
在本期翻译的最后,借用的一句话:“没有找到笔者的思想,就是一篇没有灵魂的译文。”翻译字句简单,领会作者情感不易。再次感谢的指导!
以下短语和句子均来自。
You had better go to bed right away, or your cold will get worse.
你还是马上上床睡觉吧,不然感冒会越来越严重的。
had better是一个比较常见的用法,缩写是’d better,意指“最好”,用于建议、警告、威胁、发表意见等。在口语中,有时会省略had或be,例如,You better not waste my time. 需要注意的是,you’d better这样的说法是带有命令口吻的,常用于上司对下属、长辈对晚辈的对话。
You use had better or ‘d better when you are advising, warning, or threatening someone, or expressing an opinion about what should happen.
right away指“立刻,马上”,也可以用right off来表达。这里的right表示强调,我们可以看到right after,“就在……之后”,right now,“此时此刻”,还有“I’ll be right back.”,“我马上回来。”都是right表强调的用法。
If you do something right away or right off, you do it immediately.
It will be some time before the economy will move out of the current stagnation.
经济还需要一段时间才能走出低迷。
move out指“搬迁”,也指“离开”,可引申为“脱离,摆脱”,如摆脱贫困,move out of poverty,离开视线,move out of someone’s eye line等。
表示“摆脱”的短语有很多,如cast off,get rid of,shake off,free oneself from,get over,平时可以注意记录一下同义词方便替换。
Move out means to leave a place of residence permanently or to begin to depart. Especially in reference to a large number of persons or things.
Would you please sort out all the white clothes from the wash?
你能从洗好的衣服里,把所有白色的衣服都清理出来吗?
sort out在本句中指“分类、整理”。除此以外,还可以用sort into,sort through来表达,如sort the papers into folders,sort through the papers。
sort out的释义还有很多,后接某种问题或活动,指“解决(问题),理清(细节)”,如sort out dispute,解决争端。sort someone out指“教训、规劝某人”,sort yourself out则指“理清头绪,镇定下来”。
If you sort out a group of things, you separate them into different classes, groups, or places, for example so that you can do different things with them.
We will now report on this year’s business performance.
现在,我们将报告今年的经营业绩。
report on指就某个事件或主题进行报告、报道,通常是出于个人的工作或责任需求,如记者进行报道。同时我们也可以说give someone a report on something,指向某人作出报告。
If you report on an event or subject, you tell people about it, because it is your job or duty to do so.
performance最常用的释义是“表演,表现”。根据语境的不同,performance的释义会有微小的变化,如task performance为工作表现,performance target是业绩目标,the performance of a car指车的性能。表示性能卓越也可以用这个词,如a performance car,或a high-performance car。
Someone’s or something’s performance is how successful they are or how well they do something.
Please feel free to contact me for details about the meeting or the schedule.
请随时与我联系,以了解会议或日程安排的具体细节。
feel free指“请随意,不必拘谨”,后面通常会接to do something,表示“可以做某事”,如feel free to share ideas,自由地表达自己的观点,feel free to ask questions,随意提问,feel free to contact, 随时联系。
You say ‘feel free‘ when you want to give someone permission to do something, in a very willing way.
以上短语和句子均来自,还没用过的贝友,可以哦~
以下翻译,上半部分主要来自,下半部分主要来自和,感谢的指导!
Answered by Anonymous
The following is an account of a true but unusual experience (I’m not a doctor and I’m only telling my story, to the best of my understanding):
下面描述的是一段真实而不寻常的经历(我不是医生,只是尽自己的理解讲述我的故事):
I had an undiagnosed arterial problem for a couple of years, which reduced the blood supply to my heart and probably to my brain too, and seemed to have depleted B vitamins from my nerves (probably to keep the heart in good repair). Although there is some vagueness as to the mechanisms, this made me forgetful, slow, and easily overwhelmed. In short, I felt like I was stupid compared to what I was used to, and I was. The symptoms were very atypical for what was eventually revealed to be a fairly typical heart condition.
有那么几年我的动脉一直有问题,但是没有被诊断出来,这个毛病会减少我心脏和大脑的供血,而且好像也会过度消耗维持神经系统正常运作的维生素B(大概是拿去护养心脏了)。虽然其中的原理还不清楚,但它导致我健忘、迟钝,也很容易不知所措。简单的说,我感觉自己和过去相比笨了很多,事实上也的确如此。这个毛病后来被诊断出是一个典型的心脏问题,而我的症状却是非常不典型的。
It was frightening at first because I knew something wasn’t right but didn’t know what, and very worrying for my career because I was simply not very good any more.
最初我很害怕,因为我感觉哪里不对劲,却找不出问题所在。我还很担心我的工作,因为我确实不再那么优秀了。
However, once I got used to it and resigned myself, it was great. Even though I knew I had a worrying illness, I was happy as a pig in mud. I no longer had the arrogance of being frustrated with slow people, I abandoned many projects which reduced a lot of stress, I could enjoy films without knowing what would happen (my nickname before this used to be ‘comic book guy’ if you get the reference, on account of always knowing what would happen and being quite contemptuous of the writer’s simplicity), and I became amazingly laid back and happy go lucky. I got on with people much better. I developed much more respect for one of my friends in particular who I always considered slow – it turned out he is much deeper than I thought, I just never had the patience to notice before. You could say I had more time to look around. The world just made more sense.
不过,一旦我接受了事实,并摆脱了这些害怕和焦虑,感觉就好多了。尽管知道我的病令人担忧,我却是如鱼得水一般的快活。我再也不会高高在上地嫌弃那些笨拙的人了,我放弃了很多项目,这样一来压力也小了很多。我能够在不知道情节的情况下去欣赏一部电影(我以前有个外号叫漫画男(注1),你懂的,因为我总能知道剧情接下来会怎么发展,而且还常瞧不起那些编剧的“单蠢”)。我现在非常随和而且无忧无虑,人际关系也好了很多。我曾经认为我一个朋友反应迟钝,但现在对他尊敬多了。现在我才发现,他比我想象的要深沉的多,只是以前我没那个耐心去发现而已。也可以说,我现在有更多的时间去探索发现,这个世界变得有意义多了。
The only negative, apart from struggling to perform at work, and having to write everything down, was that I no longer found sci-fi interesting – it just didn’t seem important. (I’m not joking, although it sounds like a cliché.)
除了工作的时候要比以前费力,什么事情都要写下来以防忘记之外,唯一的坏处就是,我对科幻小说失去了兴趣——它貌似不重要了(听起来很老套,但我不是开玩笑啊)。
Injections of B12 every other day, for a month helped a lot, but I was still not right. Cornflakes also helped a bit (due to folic acid I suspect, which I’m now on a daily dose of). The issues did not go away though, which included the cognitive issues, feeling cold all the time, numb fingers, and being prone to snoozing.
我曾经每隔一天都要注射B12,注射了一个月之后,情况改善了很多,但病还是没完全好。吃玉米片也能有所帮助(我猜是因为里面有叶酸,现在我每天都要摄入一剂量叶酸)。但各种症状并未消失,像认知障碍啊,总是觉得冷啊,手指麻木没知觉啊,还老是想打盹。
Eventually after more physical and life threatening symptoms developed I got the right tests and they found my arteries were blocked up. Two of the three main coronary arteries were completely blocked – they couldn’t work out how I was alive, and had avoided any angina or a heart attack. I later found out that I had unusually good peripheral circulation, probably from the intense cycling that I was very fond of.
在身体不适感加重,危及生命的症状逐步恶化后,医生总算给我做了些有用的测试,发现是动脉阻塞。三条主冠状动脉中的两条被完全堵死了。医生们想不通我怎么还活着,并且怎么没有任何心绞痛和心脏病发的症状。后来我发现,我的末梢循环特别发达,这可能得益于我钟爱高强度自行车运动。
I’ve since had stents to open up the arteries again and made a full recovery of all symptoms. Physically I felt like superman the first time I got back on my bike and raced up a local hill at about 30mph. And mentally, the difference was equally startling.
随后我装了心脏支架以扩张动脉,这使我的各种病症得以痊愈。就身体方面而言,当我第一次重新骑上自行车,以30迈的速度奔到附近的山上时,我觉得自己像个超人一样。而精神上,同样也发生了非常大的变化。
After a year or so I am almost as ‘clever’ as I used to be, although I tend to ignore distractions more than I used to and focus on a smaller number of projects. I’m still more laid back than I used to be though, and have more patience with people. Most people still find me more socially competent. I also enjoy sci-fi again.
大约一年之后,我几乎是“聪明如初”了,但和过去相比,我不那么容易分心了,而是专注于几项工作。不过我仍然比病前多了几分懒散,也有更多的耐心与人相处。大家觉得我依然平易近人,我也重新爱上了科幻小说。
So an unusual perspective, from a fairly unusual circumstance, but that’s what it feels like to be stupid when you used to consider yourself fairly bright. In some ways it was a great learning experience, although obviously in other ways it is a life changing fact I have to live with. Heart disease cannot be cured, just the consequences
I’ll have to live a healthy lifestyle for the rest of my life and even so, be subject to future procedures. Not many people get to walk about in other peoples shoes, and then more or less pick up where they left off. It’s also obviously nice to still be alive.
因此,这是从一段不同寻常的经历得到的一个不同寻常的角度——作为一个曾经自认很聪明不凡的人,变笨的感觉是怎样的。从某些方面来说,这是一段很好的学习经历,但从另一方面来说,这显然是我必须接受的生死命运。心脏病是无法治愈的,只能暂时缓解。我必须在余生中保持健康的生活方式,即便如此,将来还是有可能再次动手术。没有几个人能体验别人的人生,还能多多少少回归自己原本的生活。没有什么比活着更好的了。
In short I would say that the frustration of dealing with slower people is worse than being one of the slower people, even if you know you are slow. I suspect most people who are relatively slow, don’t know it, but I think I’ve glimpsed how they experience the world, and actually, I quite liked it.
简而言之,我想说,即使你知道自己笨,与笨人较真还是要比自己笨更痛苦。我怀疑大多数不那么聪明的人都不知道自己笨,而我却能去感知一回,以笨人的视角去看世界,说真的,这种感觉还不赖。
Update: Since I wrote this, several studies have linked memory problems and other cognitive issues to cardiovascular disease.
补充:自从我写了这篇文章,一些研究开始把心血管疾病同记忆问题和认知问题联系起来了。
注1:comic book guy是动画片《辛普森一家》里面的一个角色,是一个肥胖的有点神经质的中年男人,炒鸡喜欢收集连环画,并且IQ极高,还有点变态。并以妙语连珠,讽刺挖苦而出名。
翻译及讨论请查看原帖:
专区中的译文正在不断更新,翻译很考验英语功底,但不尝试就永远找不到进步的空间,欢迎大家大胆尝试、虚心求教,我们会和大家一路同行!
以下短语和句子均来自。
Some people are apt to think of their own way of life as the normal one and to look down on life-styles that differ from it.
有些人倾向于认为自己的生活方式才是正常的,因而瞧不起与此不同的生活方式。
be apt to do指“有……倾向的,易于……的”,也可以为“往往、常常”。例如,动不动就发火,apt to lose someone’s temper,容易犯错,apt to make mistakes。
If someone is apt to do something, they often do it and so it is likely that they will do it again.
someone’s way of life指某人典型的生活方式,或行为模式。我们比较常用的可能是life style,除此以外,还可以表述为mode of life,styles of living。其中life style写作lifestyle或life-style都是可以的。
A way of life is the behaviour and habits that are typical of a particular person or group, or that are chosen by them.
look down on指蔑视,轻视。表示蔑视的时候,我们还可以用scorn,contempt,despise等。其中,scorn是极端的蔑视,常伴有愤怒的情绪,look down on是自视优越瞧不起别人或某事,despise指因软弱、渺小等而被轻视,contempt是因觉得人或事无关紧要所以轻视。
To look down on someone means to consider that person to be inferior or unimportant, usually when this is not true.
differ from指“不同”,其中differ为动词,形容词形式是different,be different from,也可以用distinct from。
If two or more things differ, they are unlike each other in some way.
I love the smell the pages of an old book give off when you open it.
我喜欢翻开一本旧书时,书籍所散发出的那种气味。
give off指“释放”,也可指散发出某种气味,释放热量、气体等,可以用give out替换。send out指发出信号、声音、光等,如果这里使用的是emit,则特指通过某种物力或化学的方式散发出来,是较正式的用法。
If something gives off or gives out a gas, heat, or a smell, it produces it and sends it out into the air.
If something emits heat, light, gas, or a smell, it produces it and sends it out by means of a physical or chemical process.
Her car collided with a bus from behind.
她的车和后方的一辆公交撞到了一起。
collide with指“碰撞”,这里需要注意的是,两个或更多移动物体相撞是collide,如果一方在移动,一方静止,发生碰撞的时候应该用collide with。原句中使用collide with,表明她的车是静止的,公交车从后面撞上了小车,而追尾发生的情况是两车在同一车道行驶,后车车头与前车车尾相撞。
collide with还可以指目标或意见相冲突,如果用到了conflict,指信仰、观念或利益之间有严重分歧,clash with则指信仰、观点等相互抵触,不相容。
If two or more moving people or objects collide, they crash into one another. If a moving person or object collides with a person or object that is not moving, they crash into them.
If the aims, opinions, or interests of one person or group collide with those of another person or group, they are very different from each other and are therefore opposed.
Dripping water wears away a stone not with its strength, but with its constancy.
滴水穿石靠的不是强度,而是持久。
wear away指某物磨损,逐渐磨薄、最终消失,原因可能是使用频率高,或者摩擦较多。我们以前也讲解过wear out,也是磨损,特指用坏。
If you wear something away or if it wears away, it becomes thin and eventually disappears because it is used a lot or rubbed a lot.
The aurora is a phenomenon characteristic of the Polar Regions.
极光是极地特有的自然现象。
be characteristic of指典型的,显著的。我们常用的表示典型的单词还有typical, representative, classic,除此以外还可用be emblematic of或canonical。
A quality or feature that is characteristic of someone or something is one which is often seen in them and seems typical of them.
He lost his balance and fell off his bicycle.
他失去了平衡,从自行车上跌了下来。
lose one’s balance指失去平衡,还可以用off balance来表示。相对的,保持平衡是keep one’s balance。如果说一个人心理失衡,可以用psychological imbalance。
If you keep your balance, for example when standing in a moving vehicle, you remain steady and do not fall over. If you lose your balance, you become unsteady and fall over.
fall off的释义比较多,可以指跌落、脱落,还可指程度降低、数量或规模减少。
以上短语和句子均来自,还没用过的贝友,可以哦~
每个人都会面对各种选择,两难的抉择最让人无所适从。Quora上有位网友就遇到了这样的问题:
“出于一些个人原因,我需要在女友和工作之间做出选择,我真的很爱我的女友,但这份工作是我梦寐以求的,工资是我现在的5倍,两者不能兼得,我该怎么办?”
小编摘选了网友们的部分回答,来看看大家是怎么说的吧!
Essentially, I have to pick between love and an incredible career due to relocation etc. I absolutely cannot have both.
essentially: adv. 本质上;基本上
relocation: n. 重新安置;再布置,变换布置
Answered by Justin Cremer
I had this choice once. I chose the girl.
It is the only regret I have in my life.
The job was on a NASCAR pit crew.
NASCAR: abbr. 全国运动汽车竞赛协会(National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing)
pit crew: 后勤维修人员
sort out: vt.& vi.把…安排妥当; (从…中)区分出来,辨别出来; 分类; 整理; 整顿; 解决
The most important thing that stands out to me from here, now, is “why did I perceive these to be mutually exclusive choices?” That was a false problem. If she really loved me, the job wouldn’t have stood in the way. We could have worked it out together.
Love always finds a way.
No, what’s clear to me now is that I created a false dilemma because I didn’t believe I was worthy to do what I really dreamed of doing.
I created a false problem and it was an excuse to avoid my fear of being exposed as a below-average engineer. NOW – today – I know that I’m not below average. Back then, I wasn’t sure. NOW I know I’m great. And that has nothing to so with anyone else – or the averages of those anyone else’s.
stand out: 突出;站出来;坚持到底;坚决反对
perceive: vt. 察觉,感觉;理解;认知 vi. 感到,感知;认识到
mutually exclusive: 互相排斥的; 不兼容的
stand in the way: 妨碍;阻碍
work out: 解决;算出;实现;制定出;消耗完;弄懂
dilemma: n. 困境;进退两难;两刀论法
I threw away my life’s dream because I was scared.
So I’ll pose the same question to you: why do you perceive these to be mutually exclusive? Are they really?
Choose the career and the relationship becomes difficult not impossible. Choose to pass on the career choice and that career choice is now impossible, not difficult.
My advice is to get real with yourself. Keep asking why you want what you want and why to that answer and why to the answer of that until you land on “real.”
You know what you want. It’s in there. You owe it to yourself to be real. Then you can have a fair conversation with her about what you want, what she wants, and how it might work. You owe it to her too.
throw away: 扔掉,丢弃
get real: 现实点;别幻想了
fair: adj. 公平的;美丽的,白皙的;[气象] 晴朗的 adv. 公平地;直接地;清楚地 vi. 转晴 n. 展览会;市集;美人
Answered by Susie Johnson
My old psychology lecturer taught me this one.
Flip a coin. But do not focus on whether it comes up heads or tails.
Instead, focus on the moment the coin went into the air. What were you hoping would happen? Were you hoping it would be tails and that the universe is telling you to stay with your beautiful partner? Or were you hoping it would be heads, to take a risk on that new job venture? Believe me, you already know what you want. Bring the answer into your consciousness!
psychology: n. 心理学;心理状态
flip: vt. 掷;轻击 vi. 用指轻弹;蹦跳 adj. 无礼的;轻率的 n. 弹;筋斗
tail: adv. (a coin comes down tails) (硬币) 反面朝上地
venture: vt. 敢于 vi. 冒险;投机 n. 企业;风险;冒险
吃腻了各种快餐的上班族,是不是很想中午能吃上家里的饭菜?看着自家宠物吃罐头,会不会也想尝尝是什么味道?
帮你送午餐,帮宠物尝罐头,这些事请都有人来做!
今天的Quora问答中,小编将带着大家了解一些国家特有的职业,看看大家都有什么特殊的谋生手段。
Answered by Melisa Sudirman
I believe this job only exists in my country, as a matter of fact, only in our capital city, Jakarta. It’s a job people refer as ‘Joki’. Joki is a person that you can find on streets looking for a car that wants to hire him/her as an additional passenger so that they pass the required 3 person in one car regulation along three-in-one streets. This regulation is only applied in selected streets in specified hours, particularly in business hour time and crowded streets.
Notify me if there’s such a thing exists anywhere else.
Answered by Naveen Kumar G
Dabbawala: They transport your lunch box made at your home to your office. After your having food, they return it to your home too.
Parrot fortune tellers:
Gangireddu: It is a term used for decorated OX. During Sankranti festival in Andhra Pradesh, People will come with gangireddu and musical instruments to every street and village. They make ox dance for and music and they do some stunts with the ox.
Fakirs in India who sends away ill effects(things) in your business by giving sambrani Dhoop in your office & Vehicles
Answered by Dan Knight
I’m fairly sure this is unique to our little group of islands here in Britain
This is is Simon Allison, he is a pet food taster for Marks & Spencer, a middle class high street retailer.
Mr Allison is a ‘senior food technologist’ who’s special responsibility is pet food. He has three cats at home – Pants, Socks and Vest and has a favourite pet food: the organic luxury chicken dinner with vegetables for cats.
I have to stress that he would rather spit than swallow the pet food due to the negative health implications – he always has a glass of water at hand to wash his mouth out.
Answered by David Stewart
Here in Australia we have the . Our country is so large, and our population so small, that we have people living in far flung locations who are more than a full day’s drive from any idea of a township. So in 1928 The Reverend John Flynn pioneered the idea of an aerial doctors service who could attend to patients in far flung locations. It still operates today.
上一期的Quora问答中,小编和大家一起看了现实生活中的故事。本周几位贝友共同努力,将这篇文章翻译了出来,让我们一起欣赏一下吧!
以下翻译主要来自和,感谢的指导。
问:从丑小鸭变成白天鹅的感觉是怎么样的?
We’ve all heard the story of the ugly duckling who turns into a swan but does this actually happen in real life? Has anyone gone from ugly to pretty or I’ll even take average to beautiful? What kind of reactions did you get from strangers before and after? How did it change you? Do you now take advantage of your looks?
我们都听过丑小鸭变成白天鹅的故事,但是现实生活中真得会发生这样的事情吗?有没有人从不好看变得好看,或者就从长相平平变得美丽动人的?这些转变前后,路人们对你的态度有什么不一样么?这给你带来了怎样的改变?你会利用自己的相貌吗?
Answered by Lyndsey Scott
I feel as if I’m a pretty extreme case.
Picture of me from middle school:
我觉得我似乎就是一个非常极端的例子。这是我中学时的照片:
Picture of me in a Victoria’s Secret Show:
这是我参加维多利亚的秘密内衣秀的照片:
And backstage:
这是我在后台接受采访的照片:
I didn’t technically start being bullied until my super awkward high school years where I all of a sudden found myself at 5+ and 89 pounds. I’m still scouring my things for photos from during that time, but they seem to have disappeared somehow.
上高中的时候,我突然发觉自己长到了5英尺9英寸(约175厘米),体重89磅(约40公斤),在此之前,我并没有真的因为外貌而受到欺负。我现在还在找我那个时候的照片呢,但它们似乎都不翼而飞了。
It’s been strange having people regard me at such extremes throughout the course of 15 or so years … I was a late bloomer. Didn’t really start looking like a model until after college. So it’s been a rather jarring experience having people see and treat me the way they suddenly do now.
在过去的这大约15年之中,大家对待我的态度从一个极端走向了另一个极端,这让我感觉很不舒服……我只是所谓的“大器晚成”而已。直到大学毕业,我看起来还没什么模特的样子呢。所以人们对于我的态度的突变,让我颇感不爽。
I was bullied and often friendless throughout puberty because people automatically judged me as being someone I was not. OK, sure … I’ll admit that I’ve always been a nerd, but I like to think I’m a pretty cool nerd. The difference between then and now though is that back then, they wouldn’t give me the chance to show them that I was kinda cool, and now they readily give me a chance … and are then often disappointed that I’m kind of a nerd.
青春期那会儿我经常被欺负,因为他们总是自动把我划分为另一种人。好吧,当然,我承认我那个时候总是一副呆呆的样子,但是我觉得自己可是一个很酷的呆子。以前和现在的区别在于,那个时候,别人不会给我展示自己“潇洒的一面”的机会,但是现在就不同了,他们总是很乐意欣赏我……然后常常会很失望的发现我有点呆。;)
Same is true now as it was then — I (like everyone else I’m sure) am judged on sight. But it’s nice to now have that perspective rare to the newly beautiful — the world is a super shallow place, yes, but it’s pointless to take their snap judgements too seriously because no one deserves to be treated differently based solely on their appearance.
唯一没变的就是——人们总是以貌取人(我相信每个人都有与我类似的经历)。但对于现在这个好看的我来说,这种评判会好很多。是的,这个世界就是这么肤浅,但也不要太过在意这些仓促论断,因为没有一个人应该因为外貌而受到差别对待。
The perks of being good looking: People offer me a lot more freebies, I make money off of my looks through modeling, strangers talk to me more often, more people listen to me and laugh at my jokes, and I even have the occasional suitor … all good things.
长得好看的好处在于:人们会给我更多免费赠品,能够通过做模特挣钱,时常被搭讪,更多的人愿意来做我的听众,并且我说笑话的时候还会很配合的大笑,我甚至偶尔还能被求求婚……总之就是好处多多。
On the other hand: Would-be catcallers will sometimes skip the compliments and just call me a bitch as I walk by, some women (although very few) are very catty to me from the get-go, and many people are shocked to find out that I’m anything other than an airhead … that I was a comp. sci. major and that I program iOS apps, for example. Sometimes it all makes me very, very angry. Sometimes even a complimentary cat-call can make my blood boil. Sometimes I feel as if I have to prove myself now just as I felt I had to prove myself then. Can’t catch a break, I guess.
但也有些坏处:无论别人对我的评价如何,一些看不惯我的人只会在我路过时喊我“贱人”,有些女人(尽管很少),一开始就对我特别不友善。很多人在发现我不是个花瓶的时候会很吃惊,比如,我主修计算机科学,开发过iOS平台下的诸多应用。有时候这一切都会让我很抓狂。甚至一声赞美的尖叫都会让我热血沸腾。我感到必须要去证明我自己,这种感觉无论是从前还是现在都很强烈。我想,生活似乎总是不会给我喘息的机会。
I clearly take advantage of my looks. I’m a model for pete’s sake … And in general, having beauty and intelligence is super useful during occasions that require me to assert a bit more authority. When I need to feel most powerful, I’ll do my hair, throw on a nice outfit, put on a bit of makeup and it helps a disgusting amount. In general, I feel extremely lucky to have been granted this new super-power. But when I’m home and completely myself, when my hair is a mess, when I’m wearing my now broken glasses with the tape in the middle, and I’m up coding at 3 AM, I could give my middle-school self a major run for her money. I have to wonder, why didn’t they like me then when I’m still the same person now? Why do they like me now? How do I know that they like me now? Does anyone actually really even like me now?
我当然会利用自己的相貌,拜托,我可是个模特。通常来说,当我想要维护自己的威信时,拥有美貌和智慧会很有用。而当我想让自己极具影响力时,我会做个不错的发型,穿上漂亮的套装,化个淡妆,这些都大有裨益。总的来说,我很庆幸能被赋予这样的“超能量”。但当我在家,自由自在的时候,当我蓬着头发,戴着中间用胶布缠着的破眼镜,写代码写到凌晨三点时,我和中学时候的自己可以一争高下。有时我不禁想,我仍旧是我,为什么以前大家不喜欢我,现在却又喜欢?我怎样才能知道他们是喜欢我的?现在真的有人喜欢我吗?
Some things don’t leave you.
有些东西始终都不会改变。
本期翻译讨论请查看。
以下短语和句子均来自。
Until Mary gets back to work, we’ll have to make do with Ken.
在玛丽回来工作之前,我们只能用肯代替一下了。
get back to something指重新开始,特指继续做已停止的工作。同样是表示重新开始,start over指从头开始做某事,类似的还有begin again。
If you get back to an activity, you start doing it again after you have stopped doing it.
make do with是将就、凑合的意思,指手头资源并没有那么好,但只能凑合着用。另外有一个表示勉强应付的短语,get by,这个是指利用手头仅有的资源,但能达到一种自己比较满意的状态,也可以用get along来表达。
If you make do with something, you use or have it instead of something else that you do not have, although it is not as good.
If you can get by with what you have, you can manage to live or do things in a satisfactory way.
In other words, it takes all sorts of people to make a world.
换句话说,世界是由各种各样的人组成的。
in other words指“换言之”,这里通常是以另一种浅显易懂的说法来解释自己之前所说过的内容。除了in other words,我们还可以说that is to say, put another way等,简单一点的话,可以用scilicet,也是指“换句话说”。
You say in other words in order to introduce a different, and usually simpler, explanation or interpretation of something that has just been said.
You should apologize to Dad for not coming home in time for supper.
你应该为你没有及时回家吃晚饭向你父亲道歉。
apologize to someone是向某人致歉的意思,也可以用其名词形式,make an apology。Apologize是英音的拼写,在美语中为apologise。
When you apologize to someone, you say that you are sorry that you have hurt them or caused trouble for them. You can say ‘I apologize‘ as a formal way of saying sorry.
In time在本句中的释义为“及时”,而on time指的是“按时、准时”,前者是指在约定的时间之前发生,后者指刚好在约定的那个时间发生。此外,on time一般用于句尾,而in time会后接某一事项或某种情况,如及时回家吃饭,be home in time for supper。
in time的释义还有很多,如“迟早,最终”,something will happen in time,也可以表述为given time。另外,in time还可以表示“合拍”,如dancing in time with the music,随着音乐节拍起舞。
If you are in time for a particular event, you are not too late for it.
If you are on time, you are not late.
The decay of the temple is due, in part, to acid rain.
寺庙腐坏的部分原因在于酸雨。
in part指“在某种程度上”,常用的表达还有in a way, in/to some degree, to a certain extend, to some extent等等。 You use in part to indicate that something exists or happens to some extent but not completely.
due to指“由于,因为”,大家比较常用的还有because of, as a result of, by reason that, on account of, owing to, in virtue of, thanks to, as a consequence等等。
取其中几个辨析一下,because of是比较普通和常用的表达,更口语化一些。as a result (of)表因果时,通常会有因和果作为上下文。on account of作“因为”讲时后接名词。owing to可以和due to互换,due to为书面语,比较正式和庄重,多作状语,owing to则多作表语。thanks to表达的因果突出的是一种感激之情,可译为“多亏”,也有人将其用作反语,有否定、嘲讽之意。
If an event is due to something, it happens or exists as a direct result of that thing.
Larger pirates often preyed on unarmed merchant ships.
大型海盗常掠夺没有武装的商船。
prey在拼写上很容易和pray弄混,前者主要是“捕猎、折磨”的意思,后者是“祈祷”。
prey on指“捕猎,以捕猎……为生”,如果说someone preys on someone else,指“欺负某人”,而something preys on someone’s mind,则指“折磨,使耿耿于怀”。
If someone preys on other people, especially people who are unable to protect themselves, they take advantage of them or harm them in some way.
以上短语和句子均来自,还没用过的贝友,可以哦~
扇贝网最近在网站上建立了专区,希望借助社区的力量,将Quora中的精彩内容翻译成中文,在这个过程当中,不仅帮助大家学习英文,也增长知识。
为了保证质量,我们每次只翻译一篇,所有人都可以提交针对全文或者部分段落的译文,经过充分讨论,由专人整理最终译稿后,再进行下一篇。目前已经完成4篇,平均每篇都有30-40回帖讨论,参与的人中有国内大学学生,也有国外的大学教授,比起翻译结果更重要的是相互学习和提高的过程。
以下是的参考翻译,译文主要来自,让我们一起欣赏一下吧!
超级富二代的人生是什么样的?
Answered by John H. Hillman, V, sorry about the Roman numeral.
约翰o希尔曼五世的回复
In my case it is pretty normal. To be clear, I am not “of the wealth” that flows through my family, I benefit from a minor tributary of the original fortune. I am not a poor person by any means, and I am super grateful for my family history, tradition, and the regional respect given towards us. Something that not only I, but the patriarch and matriarch Hillmans, have always tried to repay. The reality is: the city that helped us, comes first.
对我来说我过的生活还是挺平常的。先澄清一下,我家不是正儿八经的巨富家族,只是富裕祖上留下的小小一个旁支。但从任何角度来说,我都不能算是穷人,而且我也非常感激我家庭的历史与传统,还有地方上给予我们家庭的尊重。因此很多时候,不仅是我自己,还有我们家族的众多长老们,都在努力的想要回报社会以表达感谢。换句话说:事事都把这个有帮助过我们家族的城市放在第一位。
Without giving a full family history — which has already been done way better than I could — the gist of it is: I had a relative seven or eight generations ago who did very well cooking iron in Kentucky/Tennessee in the 1850s. A generation continued that success though the U.S. Civil War with some pitfalls until around the 1900s when some southerner Hillmans traveled to a city which was a perfect fit for industrial steel revolution: Pittsburgh. When the U.S. steel industry began to slump beginning in the 1960s my great-uncle Henry diversified into many things, notably an early Kleiner Perkins investment, international real estate, and others. I believe he has been on the Forbes 400 since the first list, though I may be wrong. The rest can be found via Google.
鉴于已经有人讲述过希尔曼家族完整的族史,并且讲得比我好得多,在这里我就不赘述了,只列举一些要点:我的一门亲戚,往上数个七、八代的样子,大概在19世纪50年代的时候在肯塔基州和田纳西州以提炼钢铁打了出一片天。尽管在美国内战的不利影响下,家族的成功还是在又一代人手上谱写辉煌。直到20世纪初,南方的希尔曼家族来到了一个非常适合钢铁工业革命的城市:匹兹堡。当20世纪60年代,美国钢铁业开始不景气时,我的叔(伯)祖父转向多元化经营。最著名的就是帕金斯投资公司,还有国际的房地产业等等。我认为他从第一届福布斯榜单开始就位列前400,不过也有能不是。其它族史可以通过Google搜索。
How does it feel for me? Aside from knowing that I come from solid stock, which I try to live up to, I have constant reminders such as the Hillman Library, which was named after my great-grandfather and is the main library of the University of Pittsburgh. The question I most often hear about that building is: “Don’t you like, own a library or something?” other than that there is The Hillman Cancer Center, which is a fantastic facility, every once in awhile, I have misguided people thanking me because their cancer was “cured.” I don’t like that at all, it makes me feel uncomfortable.
我对这些有什么感觉?除了我自身深切得体会到我们家族的源远流长之外,也有诸多外物提醒我不要辜负了这一切,如以我祖父的名字命名的匹兹堡大学最重要的图书馆——希尔曼图书馆。我最常被问及有关这座图书馆的问题就是:“有个图书馆还是什么的是不是你家开的?”偶尔也会有人被误导,会把他们对希尔曼癌症研究所的感谢转嫁给我。希尔曼癌症研究所是一个设施精良的癌症研究中心,治愈了很多人。但我并不喜欢这些提问或者感谢,它们会让我感到不自在。
The Hillman Center for Future Generation Technologies part of Carnegie Mellon University is cool-looking (inside and out) and is a great partnership with Gates and CMU, but not something the average person cares about, including me. Then there are things like Hillman Hall of Minerals and Gems, part of the Carnegie Museum of natural History that are so amazing, but also made me feel awkward as a first grader visiting with my school. Kids can be tough. I could name over fifty other really important buildings/endowments/things our family’s success has benefited, but most people don’t care. And it can all be found without me telling you.
隶属卡耐基梅隆大学(Carnegie Mellon University)的希尔曼未来科技研究中心里里外外看起来都很不错,和盖茨以及CMU有着重要合作关系,但这点一般人是不会在乎的,包括我在内。还有像卡内基自然历史博物馆希尔曼矿物宝石展厅之类的建筑,令人叹为观止,但小学一年级时学校组织参观,让我很难为情。小孩子很难搞的。我可以说出至少50个像这样的重要建筑、捐赠基金以及其它的一些东西,希尔曼家族的成功得益于此。但是大部分人都不会在乎。而我不说,你也会知道。
I have great friends. I can’t clarify that enough. They are all lifelong friends who know me well. It isn’t like I have hangers-on or people who want to be in my life because of a perceived wealth, though I believe others in my family might have that problem.
我有很多很棒的朋友。我无法用语言表述。他们都是我一生的朋友,也都很了解我的为人。他们并不是阿谀奉承的小人,也不是因为我家的财产才和我交朋友,但我想,在我们家族中很多亲人都会遇到这样的问题。
Every month, I get a stranger that says “Hey, are you related to the Hillmans . . . ?” or something like that. Basically I just go with the flow. I am modest, live a modest life, and it’s all just fun and respect. Respect for my family and respect for people that are interested in “us.” When I think of my family’s fortunes I think of how much has been given back to Pittsburgh, and that is mainly how I identify with it.
每个月都会有陌生人问我:“嘿,你是希尔曼家族的人么?”或者其它类似的问题。基本上对于这些问题我一笑了之。我是个实在的人,过着平凡的生活。我怀揣着生活的乐趣和尊重,尊重我的家族,也尊重那些对“我们”感兴趣的人。每当我想起家族的财富的时候,我只会在想这里面有多少已经回报给匹兹堡了,这也就是我对这些财富的理解。
本期翻译原文摘自扇贝泛读书,翻译讨论请查看。
Search by Tags!

我要回帖

更多关于 css 省略号 的文章

随机推荐