lay eggan Egg一定是"下蛋"吗

英美习语laid an egg 你猜到是什么意思吗
【蝙蝠英语网 - 英语口语】I laid an egg in the quiz game. 如果一位外籍女同事昨晚参加英文电视台办的有奖问答游戏节目,而今天早上对你说这句话,你猜到是什么意思吗? 她怎会在节目进行中下蛋的呢?她不是母鸡,但明明听到她说laid an egg嘛,真教人丈八金刚,摸不着头脑。 英美习语不可以望文生义,也往往不可以按字面上的意思去理解。 这是学习英语的困难之处,但也是有趣的地方。 学习(idiom)包括俚语(slang)、谚语(proverb)、口语(colloquialism)。上述的lay an egg就是口语表达法(colloquial expression)。 比方你在课本中读到这一句: This hen lays beautiful brown eggs. 这句自然可以理解为:这只母鸡下好看的棕色蛋。 看到Fish lay eggs也自然明白解作:“鱼产卵”。 然而,那位外籍女士说的I Iaid an egg却与下蛋产卵完全无关! 句中laid an egg是口语(colloquialism)。意思是:一败涂地、彻底输了。典出英国早期用语lay a duck's egg(“得零分”的意思)。 所以,她是说在电视问答游戏节目中输了。当前位置:
>>>The boy________on the bed________to his friend that a cock l..
The boy________on the bed________to his friend that a cock laid an egg yesterday.
A. lay&&&&&& B. layC. lied&&&&D. lying
题型:单选题难度:中档来源:福建省同步题
马上分享给同学
据魔方格专家权威分析,试题“The boy________on the bed________to his friend that a cock l..”主要考查你对&&现在分词,一般过去时&&等考点的理解。关于这些考点的“档案”如下:
现在没空?点击收藏,以后再看。
因为篇幅有限,只列出部分考点,详细请访问。
现在分词一般过去时
现在分词的概念:
现在分词(PresentParticiple)(又称-ing形式),是分词的一种,是非限定动词,即在句子里面不能单独充当谓语,但能充当其它的一些成分(定语,表语,补语和状语)。一般式:doing;一般被动式:being done;完成式:having done;完成被动式:having been done。所有否定式都是在-ing前面加not。现在分词的用法:
1)做表语: 如:He was very amusing. &&&&&&& That book was rather boring. 很多动词的现在分词都可以作表语:exciting, interesting, encouraging, disappointing, confusing, touching, puzzling. 2)作定语: 上面所出现的现在分词都可以用作定语,修饰一个名词: 如:That must have been a terrifying experience. &&&&&&& I found him a charming person. 现在分词短语还可以放在名词的后面修饰名词,相当于一个定语从句: 如:There are a few boys swimming in the river. &&&&&&& There is a car waiting outside. 3)作状语: 现在分词短语可以表示一个同时发生的次要的或伴随的动作: 如:Following Tom, we started to climb the mountain.&&&&&&&& Opening the drawer, he took out a box. &&&&&&& Taking a key out of his pocket, he opened the door. 现在分词短语还可以表示原因,相当于一个原因状语从句: 如:Not knowing her address, we couldn't get in touch with her. &&&&&&& Being unemployed, he hasn't got much money. 现在分词短语还可以表示时间,相当于一个时间状语从句: 如:Hearing the news, they all jumped with joy. &&&&&&& Returning home, he began to do his homework.&&&&&&&&&Jim hurt his arm while playing tennis. &&&&&&& Be careful when crossing the road. &&&&&&& Having found a hotel, we looked for some where to have dinner. &&&&&&& Having finished her work, she went home. 4)作宾补: 现在分词在一些动词之后可以做宾语的补语: 例如:see, hear, catch, find, keep, have等。如:I see him passing my house every day. &&&&&&& I caught him stealing things in that shop. &&&&&&& I smelt something burning. &&&&&&& She kept him working all day.现在分词其他用法解析:
1、现在分词一般式的用法:现在分词的一般式所表示的动作与主语动作同时发生: 如:When we arrived, we found him sleeping. 我们到达时发现他在睡觉。 &&&&&&&& Living in the 示的动作也可略早于或迟于谓语动作,但两者之间没有时间间隔: 如:Seeing nobody at home, he decided to leave a note. 发现没有在家,他决定留个字条。&&&&&&&&& He went home, finding the door locked. 他回到家,发现门是锁着的。当现在分词所表示的动作略迟于谓语动作时,现在分词通常位于句末。2、现在分词完成式的用法:现在分词的完成式主要表示发生在谓语动作之前的动作: 如:Having been there once, she knew the place quite well. 由于去过那儿一次,她对那地方很熟悉。 &&&&&&& Having failed twice, he didn't want to try again. 他已经失败了两次,不想再试了。注:(1)现在分词的一般式和完成式均可表示已完成或先于谓语的动作,但有区别:现在分词所表示的动作虽然可以先于谓语动作,但两者之间没有时间间隔,而现在分词的完成式所表示先于谓语的动作则与谓语动作有一定的时间间隔: 如:Locking the door, he went out. 锁好门之后,他就出去了。 &&&&&&& Having invited him here to speak, we'd better go to his lecture. 既然我们请了他来作报告,我们最好去听一下。有时即使是分词动作与谓语动作几乎同时发生,但如果要强调分词动作的完成性,也应用现在分词的完成式: 如:Having bought our tickets, we went into the theatre. 我们买好票后就走进剧场。 (2)现在分词的完成式一般不用作定语:误:Do you know anyone having lost a cat? 你知道有谁丢了一只猫吗?误:I want to talk to the person having broken the window. 我想同打破窗户的人谈谈。若将以上现分词的完成式改为一般式也不可以(因为现在分词作后置定语时通常只表示与谓语动作同时或几乎同时发生的动作,而不能先于谓语动作而发生):误:I want to talk to the person breaking the window. 3、现在分词被动式的用法:当要表示一个被动动作时,现在分词就用被动形式。现在分词的一般式和完成式均有被动式形式: (1)现在分词一般式的被动式:主要表示现在正在进行的动作,也可表示与谓语动作同时发生的动作: 如:Who is the woman being operated on? 正在动手术的女人是谁? &&&&&&&& I saw him being taken away by the police. 我看见他被警察带走。注:有时现在分词一般式的被动式所表示的动作也可发生在谓语动作之前(此时的现在分词通常用于表示原因,且多为状态动词): 如:Not having a car, he finds it difficult to get around. 由于没车,她感到行动很困难。 (2)现在分词完成式的被动式:主要表示发生在谓语动词之前且已经完成的动作。如:The subject having been opened, he had to go on with it. 话题已经开始了,他不得不谈下去。 &&&&&&& Having been written inhaste, the book has many mistakes. 这书因写得仓促,所以错误不少。比较:Being so ill, she can't go to school. 由于病得那么严重,她不能去上学。 &&&&&&&&&&& Having been ill for a long time, he needed time to recover. 由于病了很长时间,他需要一段恢复的时间。 一般过去时的概念:
一般过去时表示过去某个时间里发生的动作或状态;过去习惯性、经常性的动作、行为;过去主语所具备的能力和性格。一般过去时的用法:  
1、表示过去发生的动作或存在的状态,常与表示过去时间的副词如:yesterday,last week,two hours ago等连用。  如:My family moved here five years ago. 我家五年前搬到了这里。  &&&&&&&&I was born in 1973. 我生于1973年。  2、表示过去一段时间经常或反复发生的动作。这时可与频度副词如:often,usually,always等连用。  如:He always worked in tonight those days. 那些日子他总是工作到深夜。  &&&&&&& I often left on business in 年我经常出差。  注:表示“过去经常,而今不再”时,要用usedto.如:I used to read newspaper after breakfast. 我过去经常早饭后看报纸。(意指现在已不是这样)  & The children often swam in this river. 孩子们过去经常在这条河里游泳。  3、表示过去发生的一连串动作。  如:He put down the heavy box, took out the keys, and opened the door. 他放下这沉重的箱子,掏出钥匙开了房门。  注:过去发生的一连串动作,若用and,or,but等并列连词连接,则一律用过去式。  如:They moved the chairs to the table, sat down and began to have& supper. 他们把椅子搬到桌边,坐下开始吃饭。  4、在时间和条件状语从句中,用一般过去时表示过去将来的动作。  如:He said that he would let me know as soon as he got the information. 他说他一得到消息就立即让我知道。  &&&&&&& Mary told me that she would stay at home if it rained. 玛丽告诉我如果下雨她就呆在家里。一般过去时的特别用法:
1、句型:It is time for sb. to do sth "到……时间了" "该……了"。例如:It is time for you to go to bed.你该睡觉了。 &&&&&&&&&&&&&It is time that sb.did sth. "时间已迟了" "早该……了"。例如:It is time you went to bed. 你早该睡觉了。   2、would(had)rather sb.did sth. 表示'宁愿某人做某事'。例如:I'd rather you came tomorrow. 还是明天来吧。 3、wish, wonder, think, hope等用过去时,作试探性的询问、请求、建议等,而一般过去时表示的动作或状态都已成为过去,现已不复存在。例如:I thought you might have some. 我以为你想要一些。比较:Christine was an invalid all her life.(含义:她已不在人间。)   &&&&&&&&&&& Christine has been an invalid all her life.(含义:她现在还活着)   &&&&&&&&&&& Mrs. Darby lived in Kentucky for seven years.(含义:达比太太已不再住在肯塔基州。)  &&&& &&&&&&&&&&& Mrs. Darby has lived in Kentucky for seven years.(含义:现在还住在肯塔基州,有可能指刚离去)注意:用过去时表示现在,表示委婉语气。 1)动词want, hope, wonder, think, intend等。例如:Did you want any thing else? 您还要些什么吗?   &&&&&&&&&&& I wondered if you could help me. 能不能帮我一下。 2)情态动词could, would。例如:Could you lend me your bike? 你的自行车,能借用一些吗?
发现相似题
与“The boy________on the bed________to his friend that a cock l..”考查相似的试题有:
206543173599243711254209237925191353『EGG』与中西文化(二)
10:37:56&&&&来源:爱词霸&&&&编辑:zhouzhichao&&&&点击:次
『EGG』与中西文化(二)
Lay an egg本来是&下蛋&的意思(也说drop an egg)。汉语里常称飞机扔炸弹为&下蛋&,英语也说The bomber is dropping eggs.(轰炸机在下蛋。)但是lay an egg常指表演或演说等的&完全引不起听众或观众的兴趣&,&完全失败&如:The investigation laid an egg.(调查完全没有结果。)汉语说考试得零分为&吃了个(大)鸭蛋&,英语多说get a goose egg(也有人说duck egg)。头上被打或撞出个&鸡蛋包&,英语也说He&s got a goose egg on his head. 喝得&酩酊大醉&是full as an egg。但是full of meat as an egg 的意思却是指&第一流的&,如:He is as full of meat as an egg where the law is concerned.(他精通法律,或:在法律方面他学识渊博。)
Egg也用以指事物,the curate&s egg指&好坏掺半的事物&,roc&s egg指&镜花水月&(roc是阿拉伯神话中的白色巨鸟)。说两个东西&一模一样&是like as two eggs.
Egg作动词用,一个意思是&(向某人)投掷鸡蛋&,另一个意思是&怂勇&、&鼓动&,一般接on,如:His vanity egged him on.(他的虚荣心驱使他干。)Mary had egged her husband on to save some money and start his own business.(玛丽鼓励丈夫攒钱自己开个店铺。)
英语中有许多含有egg一词的习语:tread on eggs (在鸡蛋上行走)或walk on eggshell(在鸡蛋壳上行走)是说&战战兢兢地做事&,有点类似&如履薄冰&的意思;put all one&s eggs in one basket是&孤注一掷&的意思(将所有的鸡蛋都放在一个篮子里,万一一失手或摔个跟头,所有的鸡蛋全会摔破);teach one&s grandmother to suck eggs( 教祖母如何吸鸡蛋)意为&多此一举&或&做完全没有必要的事&(有些词典译为&班门弄斧&是不对的,英语teach one&s grandmother to suck gees没有汉语&班门弄斧&中那种&炫耀&的意思。)
有些汉语说法也可直接译成英语,如可将&鸡蛋碰石头&译为dash a 有些则不能完全照字面译,如将&鸡蛋里挑骨头&译作look for a bone in an egg,英美人可能会理解为&做不会有结果的事&,不如借用英语原来的说法find fault with(或fault picking);&捣蛋&也只能译作make trouble 或give somebody a hard time.
英语中有一个说法:from the egg to the apple,意为&自始至终&。这个说法源自罗马人的习惯,他们吃正餐是开头吃鸡蛋,最后吃苹果。说某人&十分有把握&,英语是be as sure as eggs is eggs。有人问,这里的eggs是复数,动词为什么用is而不用are。有一种解释是,原来的说法来自数学的as sure as X is X,后来X演变成了eggs。大家都知道的一个哲学难题是&先有鸡还是先有蛋?&这在英语中称之为the chicken-and-egg question。如果某人处于&十分尴尬因难的境地&,英语可以说:He is in a chicken-and-egg situation。
♥喜欢
人气排行48小时周排行月排行
12345678910123456789101234567891012345678910第三人称单数:
egg是什么意思,词典释义与在线翻译:
蛋,鸡蛋,禽蛋
卵,卵细胞
炸弹,手榴弹,鱼雷
没有意思的玩笑
拙劣的表演
妇女和雌性动物
用蛋黄调拌,用蛋黄搀和
鼓动,鼓励
用蛋制作(食物)
向…掷鸡蛋
指使,煽动,怂恿,挑唆
[C]卵,蛋 oval object from which young are hatched, laid by birds, reptiles, insects, etc. and usually covered by a thin hard shell
[U]蛋,鸡蛋 this, especially from a hen, used as food
提示:各行业词典APP中含有本词条的独家正版内容,在手机上可看到更多释义内容。
egg&:&卵子 ...
在&&中查看更多...
egg&:&炸弹, 手榴 ...
在&&中查看更多...
在&&中查看更多...
animal reproductive body consisting of an ovum or embryo together with nutritive and
especially the thin-shelled reproductive body laid by e.g. female birds
oval reproductive body of a fowl (especially a hen) used as food
one of the two male reproductive glands that produce spermatozoa a
"she kicked him in the balls and got away"
throw eggs at
"egg a schnitzel"
egg的用法和样例:
用作名词 (n.)
The egg nestled in the long grass.
蛋隐藏在高草中。
The black hen lays an egg a day.
那只黑母鸡每天生一个蛋。
The tadpole hatches from the egg.
蝌蚪从卵中孵化出来。
The egg hatches into a larva (caterpillar).
卵孵化成了幼虫(毛虫)。
Chocolate egg is traditionally eat on Easter day.
人们按传统吃巧克力彩蛋庆祝复活节。
用作及物动词 (vt.)
Egg mayonnaise is made with mayonnaise and hard-boiled eggs.
鸡蛋美乃滋是用蛋黄酱和煮老的鸡蛋做成的。
Don't let him egg you on--you shouldn't take any notice of him.
别听他煽动,你根本就不要去理睬他。
Don't egg him on to play a trick on others.
不要怂恿他捉弄别人。
Why do you egg him on to do what you won't do yourself?
你自己不干,为什么撺掇他呢?
用作名词 (n.)
The blackbird's nest contained four eggs.
黑鹂巢里有四个蛋。
The hen laid a large brown egg.
这只母鸡下了一个大红皮鸡蛋。
Birds come from eggs.
鸟是卵生动物。
Fish lay eggs.
He went to the store to get a dozen eggs.
他到店里去买了一打鸡蛋。
You've got egg all down your tie.
你把鸡蛋都弄到领带上去了。
He spilled a bit of egg on his shoe.
他溅了一点蛋在他的鞋上。
用作名词 (n.)
〈口〉坏家伙,混蛋 black sheep
The judge sentenced the bad egg to death.
法官判这个混蛋死刑。
失败的计划 failed plan
The scheme was a bad egg.
计划失败了。
bread the egg in sb's pocket
打破某人的(计划) break sb's plan
He bears my grudges, because I broke the egg in his pocket.
他对我怀恨在心,因为我打破了他的计划。
〈口〉好人 good man
He is a good egg,I'm sure you will like him once you get to know him.
他是个好人,如果你跟他混熟了,肯定会喜欢他。
He is really a good egg. If only he didn't have such a short fuse.
他的确是个好人,如果他不那么容易发火就好了。
(体育比赛或考试成绩)零分 zero
It was a tie game.Both teams ended up with goose eggs.
这场比赛打个平局,两队比分是零比零。
have egg on one's face
出丑,丢脸 lose face
She doesn't let him have egg on his face in public.
她没有让他当众出丑。
kill the goose that laid the golden egg
贪婪过度,弄坏好事 be too greedy to do sth
Mrs. Johns gives you an apple from her tree whenever you go by her home, but don't kill the goose that laid the golden egg by bothering her too much.
每当你路过约翰斯太太家,她总从树上摘个苹果给你,但你不要贪婪过度断了此事。
lay an egg
不受听众欢迎,完全失败 be not population, fail completely
His joke laid an egg.
他的笑话无法使人发笑。
Sometimes he is a successful speaker, but sometimes he lays an egg.
有时他是一个成功的演讲者,但有时却不受听众欢迎。
As a movie director he is generally very successful, but he sure laid an egg this time.
作为电影导演,他一向是非常成功的,可是这一回他失败了。
put〔have〕 all one's eggs in one basket
孤注一掷 stake all on a single attempt
To buy stock in a single company is to put all your eggs in one basket.
买一家股票是孤注一掷。
With only one good pitcher this season,I'm afraid we have all our eggs in one basket.
在这个季节里,我们队里只有一名好投手,胜败如何,全在他一人手里了。
teach one's grandmother to such eggs
班门弄斧 show off to the teacher
He is always telling the director how to run the business that's like teaching his grandmother to such eggs.
他总是告诉上司怎样经营生意,简直是班门弄斧。
用作名词 (n.)
打鸡蛋,搅鸡蛋
打破某人的计划
对光检查蛋是否新鲜
坏蛋,坏家伙,失败的计划
复活节彩蛋
尚在初期的,未成熟的
They are up already and call for eggs and butter.
出自:1 Henry IV,Shakespeare
I egged him on...It wasn't his fault.
出自:B. Bainbridge
egg的详细讲解:
egg的基本意思是“蛋,卵”,指鸟类、爬行动物、昆虫等产的卵,作此解时,是可数名词,当egg泛指“蛋”“卵”时,常用复数形式。
egg还可作“蛋”“鸡蛋”解,指用作食物的蛋,即打开壳供烹调用的蛋,是不可数名词,可用a bit of egg表示“一点蛋” 。
在科技术语中egg可指卵细胞。
小鸡是从蛋里孵化出来的。
误 Chicken are hatched from egg.
正 Chicken are hatched from eggs.
析 当egg泛指“蛋”时,一定要用复数形式。
☆ 14世纪中期进入英语,直接源自中古英语的eggs;最初源自古挪威语的egg,意为蛋。
egg的海词问答与网友补充:
egg的相关资料:
egg&:&蛋;卵,蛋 ...
在&&中查看更多...
【近义词】
egg的相关缩略词,共有24条
企业家的成长小组
鼓励大的增长
舌动电流描记器
egg:egg n. 蛋, 鸡蛋, 卵v. 怂恿, 怂恿 英英解释:名词egg:1. animal reproductive body consisting of an ovum or embryo toge…
相关词典网站:Lie and lay
&& LIE & LAY
Question: Is “lay” used correctly in this cartoon? .
You'll lay an egg if you don't lie down
&&&& In general, irregular verbs are troublesome to learn. Regular verbs create their past and past participle forms by adding “d” or “ed” to the stem of their infinitives (love, loved, loved), but irregular verbs create past and past participle forms by altering their stems in unpredictable ways.
&&&&& A number of common irregular verbs give people trouble, particularly:
dive, drown, fly, hang, lead, prove, sit, set and shrink.
&&&& But lie and lay seem to give people more difficulty than do all the other irregular verbs combined. Here's why: The past tense form of lie is lay, so it's
indistinguishable from lay in the present tense except in usage. (Sit and set, probably the irregular verbs that give people the most trouble next to lie and lay, for example, have no parts in common. It's sit, sat and sat but set, set, set.)
&&&& The principal parts (most-common verb forms) of lie are:
lie (present,) lay (past) and lain (past participle).
&&&& The principal parts of lay are:
lay (present), laid (past) and laid (past participle).
&&&& As an aid in choosing the correct verb forms, remember that lie means to recline, whereas lay means to place something, to put something on something.
&&&& & Lie means that the actor (subject) is doing something to himself or herself. It's what grammarians call a complete verb. When accompanied by subjects, complete verbs tell the whole story.
&&&& & Lay, on the other hand, means that the subject is acting on somet therefore, it requires a complement to make sense. Thus lay always takes a direct object. Lie never does.
&&&& More on “lie”: In its simplest (command) form, when the you is implied, lie is a sentence all by itself. If you tell your dog, “Lie,” as in “(You) lie (down),” that's a complete sentence. (The same is true, by the way, of sit.) In written material, we generally use down with lie when we mean to recline not because down is needed grammatically but because we wish to distinguish from the regular verb lie, meaning to tell an untruth (as in lie, lied, lied).
&&&& Tip: Always remember that lay is a transitive verb and requires a direct object. (A transitive verb acts as a conveyor belt, transmitting action or influence from the subject to the object.) The common saying, “Let's lay out in the sun,” is not only incorrect grammatically, it suggests a public promiscuity that's frowned on even in this age of sexual permissiveness because you're implying the existence of a direct object of lay: “Let's lay (her/him?) out in the sun.” Not that there's anything wrong with THAT! It's just ungrammatical unless you're talking about sex.
Correct Usage:
Present tense: I lie down on my bed to rest my weary bones.
Past tense: Yesterday, I lay there thinking about what I had to do during the day.
Past participle: But I remembered that I had lain there all morning one day last week.
Present tense: As I walk past, I lay the tools on the workbench.
Past tense: As I walked past, I laid the tools on the workbench. And: I laid an egg in class when I tried to tell that joke.
Past participle: . . . I had laid the tools on the workbench.
&&& AN IMPORTANT TIP:
牋牋 Here's an easy way to get it right — every time — without remembering all that gobbleygook above.
&&&& When you bump into a lie-lay
— when you aren't absolutely, 110 percent sure — do this quick little exercise.*
&&&& Write these six words — “lie, lay, lain” (to recline); then beside or below them — “lay, laid, laid” (to place or put down).
&&&& When students do that (I see it on the sides of their quizzes), they never — underline “never”— get it wrong.
&&&&& Simple, but it works. I call it the Michiko Sato rule.
The Michiko Sato Rule
&&&& I call this “The Michiko Sato Rule” because she invented that quick little way to make sure she always got it right in quizzes and exercises (and life).
&&& When Michiko, who is now married and a mother living in Tokyo, was a student here, she would always write six words — three atop the other three — on her quizzes and exercises (we did 'em on paper then).
&&&& And she never got 'em wrong. Never!
&&&& I, therefore, being the smart guy that I am, developed the theory that if it worked for a student whose first language was Japanese, it would work for everyone. Give it a try.
&&&& Answer to “Zits” question: Oh, it should be “lie” as in “recline”; otherwise, he'd be putting “low” somewhere or %@#&-ing it.
Updated Oct. 4, 2012

我要回帖

更多关于 how to boil an egg 的文章

随机推荐