restraintpractice是可数名词吗吗

2012高考英语复习:高考英语词汇400题及详解(四)
  151. We can't _____ one to change the habits of a lifetime in a short time.  && A. hope&&& B. wait&&& C. expect&&& D. imagine  [答案]C. expert.  [注释]expert期望,盼望,表示认为有很大的客观可能性,例如:I expert the work to be finished by Friday.(我期望这项工作能在星期五前做完。)wait for ... to do sth.等待、等待......做......,强调“等”这一动词的本身,如:The audience are waiting eagerly for the performance to begin.(观众正等着演出开始。)本题如改为这样:I waited for him to arrive in time for dinner, but he didn't come.(我等他来赶上晚餐,但他没有来。)则句子使是对的。由此可见,expect是表示“期待”,而wait for 是表示“等待”,词义完全不同。注意hope后不能接sb. to do sth.。imagine being on the moon. 3)I'm sorry, but I can't imagine anyone doing research like that.(很遗憾,我不能想象人家那样做实验。)  本题译文:我们不能期望一个人在这样短的时间内改变一辈子养成的习惯。  152. It was necessary to _____ the factory building as the company was doing more and more business.  && A. extend&&& B. increase&&& C. lengthen&&& D. magnify  [答案]A. extend.  [注释]本题中extend意为“扩大”。lengthen拉长,延长。magnify放大。 Spread vi. 传播;vt.展开;He spread butter on the toast.(他在烤面包上涂上奶油。)  153. I asked the tailor to make a small _____ to my trousers because they were too long.  A. change& B. variation& C. revision& D. alteration  [答案]D alteration.  [注释]alteration 修正,更改,尤指部分的改变。Change改变,变化,可指表面的、本质的、内在的变化。Revision修订、修正,常指文章、词典、剧本等的修改、订正。Variation(形式、位置、条件的)变化、改变、变动:We need some variation in our daily routine.(我们的例行公事需要作些变动。)  154. Because of the strong sun Mrs. William's new dining room curtains _____ from dark blue to gray within a year.  A. faded&&& B. fainted&&& C. paled&&& D. diminished  [答案]A. faded.  [注释]fade vt/vi褪色。Faint晕到,变得虚弱:He fainted from hunger. Diminish vt./vi.减少:1)His illness diminished his strength. 2)The campers' food supply diminished as the days wore on.(随着日子的缓缓消逝,野营者的食品供应日益减少。)pale变苍白。  155. Jack is good, kind, hard-working and intelligent. _____, I can't speak too highly of him.  && A. As a result&&&& B. By the way  && C. On the whole&&& D. In a word  [答案]D. In a word.  [注释]in a word(=in short)总之,简言之。  本题是测试“过度词”,考生务必根据上下文的逻辑关系来选择适当的过渡词,使句子的意思前后连贯。  156. Evidence obtained from observation and experiment is often used to _____ a scientific theory.  && A. confirm&&& B. confine&&& C. conform&&& D. conceive  [答案]A. confirm.  [注释] confirm(= give proof of)证实,确实:1)Please confirm your telephone message in writing.(请把你电话中所说的话再用文字复述一篇。) 2)The king confirmed that the election would be on June 20th.(国王确认,这次选择将于六月二十日举行。)confine...to把......限制于:Please confine your remarks to the subject we are talking about.(请把你的话限止于我们正在谈论的题目。)conform (to)使一致,符合,遵守。Conceive 1)想到,想出:He very quickly conceived a new plan.[注意]conceive of想象:They could not conceive of the possibility of failure.(他们不能想象失败的可能。)  157. Political parties often differ in their views on various _____ concerning their own countries.  A. ways&&& B. measures&&& C. issues&&& D. patterns  [答案]c. issues.  [注释]issue此处意为“重大问题”。measure措施,虽然填入本题也说得过去,但不够贴切。pattern模式,图案,图样。与题意不符,不能入选。way 方法,方式。  158. _____ his knowledge of the mountainous country, John Smith was appointed as our guide.  && A. In spite of&&&&& B. On account of  && C. Regardless of&&& D. Instead of  [答案]B. On account of  [注释]on account of(=because of)由于,因为。regardless of(=without worrying about)不顾;Regardless of danger, he climbed the tower.  159. The lawyer was expected to _____ some proposals after reading all those documents.  && A. come up with&&& B. put up with  && C. look up to&&&&& D. keep up with  [答案]A. come up with.  [注释]come up with提出。参阅Ⅲ,33。注释。Put up with忍受;keep up with跟上,与......保持一致;look up to尊敬。  160. While typing, Helen has a habit of stopping _____ to give her long and flowing hair a smooth.  && A. occasionally&&& B. simultaneously  && C. eventually&&&&& D. directly  [答案]A. occasionally.  [注释]occasionally 偶尔。参阅IV。137注释。Simultaniously同时地;& directly直接  161. In my opinion, you can widen the _____ of these improvements through your active participation.  && A. dimension&&& B. volume&&& C. magnitude&&& D. scope  [答案]D. scope.  [注释]scope(=the area within the limits of a questions, subject ect. ; range)(活动)范围,机会,余地:The politics of a country would be outside the scope of a book for tourists.(一个国家的政治不属于旅游手册的内容范围之内。)  dimension尺寸,尺度;magnitude大小,数量;volume体积。均不切题,不能入选。  本题译文:依我看,通过你的积极参与,你能够扩大这些改进措施的范围。  162. The noise was so _____ that only those with excellent hearing were aware of it.  && A. dim&&& B. soft&&& C. faint&&& D. gentle  [答案]c. faint.  [注释]faint(=weak, not clear)“微弱的,模糊的,不清楚的”。Dim(=not bright, not clearly to be seen)不亮的,看不清的;the dim light of a candle(微弱的烛光)。  163. If he refuses to _____ my plan, I can probably find someone more cooperative.  && A. put up with&&&& B. fall in with  && C. do away with&&& D. get along with  [答案]B. fall in with.  [注释]fall in with(=agree to)同意:Is it true that you have fallen in with them?(你真的同意他们的意见吗?)put up with忍受。do away with废除;杀死。get along with进行,进展;相处。  本题译文:如果他不肯同意我的计划,我或许能找一个更能合作的人。  164. Some people either _____ avoid questions of right and wrong or remain neutral about them.  A. violently B. sincerely& C. properly& D. deliberately  [答案]D. deliberately.  [注释]deliberately(=on purpose)故意地。Sincerely真诚地;violently强暴的,激烈的,暴力引起的。properly 1)好好地,恰当地;She never makes any attempt to clean it properly.(她从来也不打算好好地把它擦干净。) 2)严格地:Properly speaking, a whale is not a fish.(严格地说,鲸鱼不是鱼。)  165. Her skirt had been so _____ in packing that she had to iron it before going out.  && A. faded&&& B. torn&&& C. dirty&&& D. crushed  [答案]D. crushed.  [注释]crush把......弄皱。因为后半句中iron指“熨平”,所以不能选其他答案了。  166. His landlady gave him a week's _____ to leave the flat.  && A. threat&&& B. notice&&& C. advice&&& D. caution  [答案]B. notice.  [注释]notice预先通知(尤用雇主、雇员或房东、房客之间):give one's employee a month's notice (通知雇员一个月后离职)。  本题译文:他的女房东通知他一周后从套间搬走。  167. Even if they are on sale, these refrigerators are equal in price to, if not more expensive than, _____ at the other store.  A. anyone&&& B. the others&&& C. that&&& D. the ones  [答案]D. the ones  [注释]代词one可以用来替代前面提到过的名词,以避免重复。如果它替代的名词是复数,则用ones。本题中它代替refrigerators;因特指,故用the ones.  168. When I took his temperature, it was two degrees above _____.  A. average&&& B. ordinary&&& C. regular&&& D. normal  [答案]D. normal  [注释]normal正常的;ordinary普通的;usual平常的;regular有规律的,定期的。  169. With the change of the economic foundation the entire immense superstructure is _____ rapidly transformed.  A. anything but B. more or less& C. at large& D. any more  [答案]B. more or less.  [注释]more or less 或多或少地;anything but根本不;at large大体上;逍遥法外;详细地。  本题译文:随着经济基础的改变,整个庞大的上层建筑也或多或少地发生变革。  170. The author of the report is well _____ with the problems in the hospital because he has been working there for many years.  A. acquainted B. informed& C. enlightened& D. advised  [答案]A. acquainted.  [注释]be acquainted with熟悉,be well informed of(about)对......消息灵通。可见,此题中应用acquainted,因为后面地介词是with.  171. It is clear that the whole world is passing through a social revolution in which a central _____ must be taken by scientists and technologists.   A. process&& B. attention&&& C. measure&&& D. part  [答案]D. part.  [注释]take part in参加。  本题译文:显然,整个世界正经历着一场社会革命;科学家和技术人员必定是这场革命地主要参加者。  172. The farmers were more anxious for rain than the people in the city because they had more _____.   A. at length&&& B. at last&&& C. at stake&&& D. at ease  [答案]C. at stake.  [注释]at stake(= risked, depending upon the result of sth.)在危险中;利害攸关;His life itself was at stake.(他的生命本身濒临危险。);& at last最终;at length详细地;at ease安详,自在,随便,不拘束:She knew he was not at ease.(她知道,他并不自在。)  本题译文:农民们比城里人更渴望鱼,因为雨水对农民来说关系更大。  173. When the big bills for mother's hospital care came, father was glad he had money in the bank to _____.  && A. fall short of&&& B. fall through  && C. fall back on&&&& D. fall in with  [答案]C. fall back on.  [注释]fall back on求助于。参阅Ⅲ.48注释。  Fall short of没达到,低于:1)He fell short of what we had expected.(他没有达到我们的期望。) 2)The measures proposed fall far short of what is required.(所提出的这些措施远没达到需要的 目标。)Fall in with与......一致,符合;同意,赞成,支持。Fall through落空。参阅Ⅲ.49注释。  本题译文:母亲在医院就医的各种帐单送来时,父亲高兴的是他可用银行里的存款来支付。  174. These plastic flowers look so _____ that many people think they are real.  A. beautiful&&& B. natural&&& C. artificial&&& D. similar  [答案]B. natural.  [注释]natural自然的,与后半句“许多人认为它们是真的”相呼应。  175. The managing director promised that he would _____ me as soon as he had any further information.  && A. communicate&&& B. notice&&& C. notify&&& D. note  [答案]C. notify.  [注释]notify通知。Notice n.通知;v.注意到;note n.笔记;v.记下,摘下。
176. When I worked as the general manager of the firm, I sometimes had _____ to visit London on business.
  A. opportunity B. possibility& C. occasion D. chance  [答案]C. occasion  [注释] occasion 作可数名词时,意为“时机”,作不可数名词时,意为“必要”,本题中occasion意为“必要”。从句语法结构上看,本句中用opportunity(难得的)机会,chance(偶然的)机会均可,但按逻辑意思,应用occasion.  177. The most important _____ of his speech was that we should all work whole-heartedly for the people.  & A. element&& B. spot&&& C. sense&&& D. point  [答案]D. point.  [注释]point(=chief idea of sth. said, done, or planned)要点;论点,主旨:I don't see your point.(我不明白你的意思。)He said nothing to the point.(他说的不切题。)  178. It has always been the _____ of our firm to encourage workers to take part in social activities.  A. plan&&& B. campaign&&& C. procedure&&& D. policy  [答案]D. policy.  [注释]policy(尤指政党、政府、大企业、商行等的)政策,方针。Campaign(政治或竞选的)运动;(军事的)行动,procedure做事的手续、程序,rule规则,plan计划,均不合题意。  本题译文:本公司的一贯方针是鼓励工人参加社会活动。  179. The climbers _____ their ambition by reaching the summit of the mountain.  A. obtained& B. sustained& C. maintained& D. realized  [答案]D. realised.  [注释]realise sth. by doing sth. else通过做......来实现.......。  180. I remember her face but I cannot _____ where I met her.  A. recall&&& B. remind&&& C. remember&&& D. remark  [答案]A. recall.  [注释]recall(=bring back to the mind)想起,回忆起:But I really cann't recall your name at his moment.  Remind sb. of ...使......想起:1)The photo reminds me of my late father.(这张照片使我想起已故的父亲。) 2)The sight of the clock reminded me that I was late.Remind sb. to sth.提醒......做......;Please remind me to write the letter.  181. He has left his book here on _____, so that you can read it.  && A. purpose&&& B. intention&&& C. aim&&& D. meaning  [答案]A. purpose.  [注释]on purpose是介词习语,意为“故意地”。如用intention,则应说by intention故意地。  182. The magician picked several persons from the audience and asked them to help him with the performance.  && A. by accident&&& B. on occasion  && C. at random&&&&& D. on an average  [答案]C. at random.  [注释]at random(=without aim or purpose)随便地,胡乱地:His clothes were scattered about the room at random.  By accident意外地;on occasion偶尔;on an average平均计算。  183. The open university was started in order to help those who _____ having a university education when they were young.  && A. stopped&&& B. failed&&& C. missed&&& D. ceased  [答案]C. missed.  [注释]miss doing sth.没有做某事:I missed seeing the film when it was shown at school.(学校放映那部电影时,我没有能去看。)  184. His _____of the aeroplane was correct in every detail and could really fly.  && A. shape&&& B. pattern&&& C. design&&& D. model  [答案]D. model.  [注释]model此句中意为“(飞机的)模型”。  185. If you _____ your demand, then maybe you will have more chance of getting what you want.  && A. conduct&&& B. dismiss&&& C. grant&&& D. moderate  [答案]D. moderate.  [注释]moderate(=make or become less violent or extreme)节制,缓和,减轻。  186. Don't _____ the news to the public until we give you the go-ahead (许可,准许).  && A. release&&& B. discard&&& C. relieve&&& D. retain  [答案]A, release.  [注释]release(=allow news to be published)发布(新闻):Details of the scheme have not yet been released to the public.(这项计划的细节尚未向公众发布。)relieve 1)减轻(痛苦,紧张情绪等):What will relieve a headache? This will help to relieve our hardship. 2)使放心,使宽慰:The good news relieved us, for we had been very anxious. 3)赈济,救济:The fund is for relieving distress among the flood victims. 4)relieve...from(of)解除,免除; a. This medicine will help to relieve you from your pain. b. He was relieved of his duties.retain(= continue to have or hold)保持,继续保有:1)She retains a clear memory of her schooldays. 2)You must retain your tickets.  187. The storm sweeping over this area now is sure to cause _____ of vegetables in the coming days.  A. rarity&& B. scarcity& C. invalidity& D. variety  [答案]B. scarcity.  [注释]scarcity(=the state of being scarce)缺乏;不足(指原本充足之物暂时在数量上的缺乏)。例如:The scarcity of fruit was caused by the drought.(水果的供应不足是干旱所引起的。)rarity(=sth. uncommon, unusual or sth. valued because rare)珍稀,稀少:Snow is a rarity around the equator.(雪在赤道周围是罕见之物。)invalidity(=ma not suitable for use)无效性,丧失工作能力。Variety(=difference of condition or quality)变化,多样化。  本题译文:目前席卷这一地区的暴风雨今后肯定会引起蔬菜短缺。  188. Jack almost fell off the cliff, but managed to _____ until help came.   A. keep on&& B. catch on& C. count on&&& D. hang on  [答案]D. hang on.  [注释]hang on(=hold fast, keep hold)牢牢抓住,抓紧不放:Help! I can't hang on much longer.(救命啊!我支持不住啦。)keep on(doing sth.)继续(做......);catch on 理解;count on 指望,依赖。  本题译文:杰克差点从悬崖上掉下来,但得以抓住不放直到得救。  189. Experts say walking is one of the best ways for a person to _____ healthy.  A. preserve&&& B. stay&&& C. maintain&&& D. reserve  [答案]B. stay.  [注释]preserve, stay, maintain, reserve这4个词均有“保持”,“维持”之意。stay后可接形容词作表语:The weather stayed wet for three days.其他3个词均为及物动词。Preserve(=keep safe from decay, risk, harm, danger, going bad etc.)保存,保护:1)Policemen preserve order in the streets.(警察在街上维持秩序。) 2)We must preserve our natural resources.(我们必须保护自然资源。)3)You paint woodwork to preserve it.(你油漆木制品以防腐烂。)Maintain(=keep up)保持,维持,维修。Reserve(=keep f store)保留,预定:1)I'll reserve my opinion at his time,(这时我将保留我的看法。) 2)I'll phone up today and reserve a room.(我今天将打电话预定一个房间。)  本题译文:专家们说,步行是一个人保持健康的最好方法之一。  190. Expected noises are usually more _____ than unexpected ones of the like magnitude.  && A. manageable&&& B. controllable  && C. tolerable&&&& D. perceivable  [答案]C. tolerable.  [注释]tolerable(=fairly good, not too bad)可忍受的:The pain has become tolerable. manageable可处理的;可管理的;controllable可控制的;perceivable可觉察的。  本题译文:料想到的嗓音通常情况下比起等量的意外嗓音来说是可以忍受的。  191. It isn't so much w the question is whether he works _____.  && A. above all&&& B. in all&&& C. at all&&& D. after all  [答案]C. at all.  [注释]at all全然,真地(常用于肯定句中):If you do it at all, do it well.(你若真做,就得做好。)not...at all全不,毫不:He doesn't seem at all interested in my plane.(他似乎对我的计划毫无兴趣。)above all(=most important of all)最重要的。in all总计:We were fifteen in all.(我们总计15人。)after all毕竟,终究。  本题译文:他是否努力工作到并不重要,问题是他是否真正地做了。  192. Mary had taken _____ to see that her guests had everything that they could possibly want.  && A. efforts&&& B. pains&&& C. attempts&&& D. endeavors  [答案]B. pains.&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &  [注释]take pains to do sth.下苦功夫做某事:I'm grateful because you have taken pains to show me how to do the work.  193. He ate what he could, and gave the _____ of the food to the birds.  A. remain&&& B. uneaten&&& C. rest&&& D. part  [答案]C. reset  [注释]the rest (of)剩余部分,其余。remain作“剩余物”(=what is left)解时常用复数形式,如:the remains of a meal(残羹剩饭)。[ALI]《新英汉辞典》认为也可以用单数,可作参考。  194. The government placed _____ on the numbers of foreign cars that could be imported.  && A. limitations&&&& B. restraint  && C. requirements&&& D. restrictions  [答案]D. restrictions.  [注释]restriction(可数名称)限制性规定:It is a club with rigid restrictions on its membership.Limitation局限性,不足之处,不利之处(可数):1)I know my limitations.(我了解我的不足之处。) 2)Every from of art has its limitations.(每种艺术形式都有其局限性。)  195. We won't know whether it will be successful. We won't know whether there will be good _____.  && A. ends&&& B. results&&& C. effects&&& D. causes  [答案]B. results.  [注释]result意为“由某种活动或某种原因所产生的结果”,如:obtain(=get, attain, gain win, secure)good results(取得好结果),publish the results(公布成绩)。  196. No one imagined that the apparently _____ businessman was really a criminal.  A. respectful B. respectable C. respective& D. respected  [答案]B. respectable.  [注释]respectable受到尊敬的。详见117.注释。  本题译文:没有一个想象到这个看起来令人尊敬的商人竟是一个罪犯。  197. At first the institute refused to purchase the telescope, but this decision was _____ revised.  && A. occasionally&&& B. consequently  && C. successively&&& D. subsequently.  [答案]D. subsequently.  [注释]subsequently(=afterwards)随后,其后。  198. The speaker _____ several other subjects in the course of his talk but mostly kept himself to the main topic.  && A. held on&&& B. worked out&&& C. touched on&&& D. kept out of  [答案]C. touched on  [注释]touch on简单谈到。参阅Ⅲ.178注释。  199. Comrade Li Dazhao, _____ librarian of Beijing University, was one of the founders of the Chinese Communist Party.  A. sometimes B. sometime& C. some time& D. some times  [答案]B. sometime.  [注释]sometime(=former)过去的,以前的:Alice Brown, a sometime pupil of our school, is now a teacher there.  200. Alice was very sorry to hear that her grandmother had _____ two days before.  && A. broken off&&& B. passed off  && C. given away&&& D. passed away  [答案]D. passed away.  [注释]pass away(=die)死亡,是“死亡”的委婉语。  break off中断;give away给掉;泄露;pass off中止,中断。
发表评论:
馆藏&21449
TA的推荐TA的最新馆藏

我要回帖

更多关于 cabbage是可数名词吗 的文章

随机推荐