One or othertwo

Then I think one or two weeks later, my mom's grandparents died – in the same week.
我就在想,母亲见到女妖的一两个星期以后,太姥姥太姥爷在一周内相继去世了。
Short holidays: Short breaks remain an impulse buy, with 20 percent of holidaymakers booking just one or two weeks before travelling.
——短期度假:短期度假仍然是人们即兴购买的产品,20%的度假人士仅仅提早一至两个星期预订。
The supernova could provide the biggest light show since Earth was formed, and will be so bright that night will become like day for one or two weeks, experts said.
专家称,这颗超新星将会为我们提供一场自地球形成以来最大型的“灯光秀”,而且光线将会非常明亮,以至于一到两个星期内黑夜都将变得像白天一样。
Use a pre-planned project or emergency (family issue, personal issue, relocation, home repairs, whatever) that requires you to take one or two weeks out of the office.
使用一个预先计划好的方案或紧急情况(家庭问题、个人问题、搬迁、住房维修或其它)为理由,说明你需要一个或两个星期不上班。
We can only live for about one or two weeks without food.
没有食物我们只能活大约一两个星期。
Normally applicants can get an interview within one or two weeks.
通常,签证申请人可在一两周内就获面谈。
The discomfort subsides gradually over one or two weeks, leaving the joint apparently normal, and pain-free.
不适感会在一到两周内逐渐减弱,直到关节恢复正常。
It can give lead times of one or two weeks, instead of two months or more that would be needed for castings.
无需2个月或更长的时间来进行铸造和加工,只用1到2周便可完成。
They are among the most competitive high-end standard blade market, because the standard blade often has a large inventory, interchangeable, short supply, in one or two weeks supply.
他们之间竞争最为激烈的是高档的标准刀片市场,因为标准刀片往往备有大量库存,互换性强,供货期短,可在一、二周内供货。
For the classical furniture, general spray wax, wax can be, but the waxing of the number should not be too frequently, one or two weeks of once.
对于古典家具,一般的喷蜡、水蜡都可以,但上蜡的次数不应过于频繁,一两周上一次即可。
Redness gradually dissipates in about one or two weeks for most patients.
大多数病人红肿大约一周或两周消退。
Usually a simple piece of jade takes a worker one or two weeks to finish the piece while a big piece requires one or two years or even longer.
通常一块简单的玉石需要一个工人一两周的时间去完成,而一大块玉石需要一两年或更长时间。
Sometimes I can go out and draw for one or two weeks.
有时我可以出去画一个星期或两个星期。
But the relationship?To us, it feels like a distant relationship between two nomads, whose occupation doesn't permit a longer stay together than one or two weeks, possibly lesser.
但彼此地关系刎?就像两个远间隔地游牧平易近族,工作不克不及让他们待在一同超越一或两个礼拜,可能更少。
You can not expect great improvement in oral English within one or two weeks.
你不能指望一两个星期内就能大大提高英语口语水平。
We'll hold there for one or two weeks, then quickly ramp up to 100 percent—monitoring quality the entire way.
我们将举行一个或两个星期,然后迅速上升到100%,监测更新的全过程。
Pick up is on Abaco and more precisely over at Marsh Harbour, two choices of one or two weeks hire are on offer.
搭船是在阿巴科,更准确的说,是在马什港,一周或两周的租赁,选择这两种游船,船坞可提供降价。
This is because living with a foreign family for one or two weeks means that you have to speak their language, and as a result you improve fast.
这是因为在一个外国家庭中生活上一两周意味着你必须将他们的语言。因此,你的语言能力提高很快。
Follow these simple tips and within one or two weeks you will notice how your sleep starts improving.
使用这些方法一两个星期之后,你会注意到自己的睡眠质量会慢慢提高。
Wenger jokes that he only expected to last "one or two weeks" at Highbury but instead the Frenchman has guided Arsenal to one of the most successful periods in their history.
温格笑谈他当初只寄希望能在海布里带上一两个星期,然而相反的这位法国人却带领阿森纳度过了他们历史上几个最为辉煌的时期之一。
We can live without food for only about one or two weeks.
没有食物我们只能存活大约一或两个星期。
Mathieu Flamini (shoulder) is also a doubt while William Gallas is still "one or two weeks" away.
肩膀有伤的弗拉米尼也可能会缺阵,加拉斯距离复出还有‘一到两周’。
The customer will usually call the shop for the required catalogue and within one or two weeks the catalogue will be delivered.
顾客通常打电话向商家索要产品目录,商家会在一两周内发送目录, 小学英语三年级下册英语单词。
"Kelly and Nabil still need maybe one or two weeks, " said Benitez. "Riera will start training tomorrow, so hopefully in the next week he can be available. "
同时,贝尼特斯希望在布莱克本受伤的里埃拉一周之后回归赛场,尽管凯利和阿尔扎尔可能还需要两个星期。
Lots of companies will having a vacation from Oct. 1st to 7th during the National Day, so if you couldn't order it tomorrow, you will have to wait another one or two weeks.
国为许多公司在国庆期间从1号开始放假到7号,如果明天订不上可能要推迟一到两个星期了。
Patients who hae immunodeficiency hae infections that usually do not go away without using antibiotics and often recur within one or two weeks after antibiotic treatment is completed.
免疫缺陷的患者一旦感染,就应使用抗生素治疗,否则无法清除感染。通常抗生素治疗结束一两周后,感染复发。
Patients who hae immunodeficiency hae infections that usually do not go away without using antibiotics and often recur within one or two weeks after antibiotic treatment is completed.
免疫缺陷的患者一旦感染,就应使用抗生素治疗,否则无法清除感染。通常抗生素治疗结束一两周后,感染复发。
$firstVoiceSent
- 来自原声例句
请问您想要如何调整此模块?
感谢您的反馈,我们会尽快进行适当修改!
请问您想要如何调整此模块?
感谢您的反馈,我们会尽快进行适当修改!扫二维码下载作业帮
拍照搜题,秒出答案,一键查看所有搜题记录
下载作业帮安装包
扫二维码下载作业帮
拍照搜题,秒出答案,一键查看所有搜题记录
in a day or two 和 in one or two days 有什么区别?急用
作业帮用户
扫二维码下载作业帮
拍照搜题,秒出答案,一键查看所有搜题记录
in a day or two 和 in one or two days -------表达出的意思完全一样.in a day or two==in one or two days in an hour or soin two or more weeks ==in two weeks or more
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
后者是在一两天之内,前者没怎么见过啊
基本一样,没有什么区别,前者更加口语化
前句是指一两天内,意思就是这两天内的时间;后句是单指‘一天’或‘两天’,意思是一天的时间,或者两天的时间。在一两个小时内,练习册上的答案是in one or two hours 但是书上原文的句子是in an hour or two。我就不知道到底哪个对了?谢谢帮助解决一下in
or two .是对的。也就是书上的那句是对的。那in an hour or two 能不能替换成...
or two .是对的。也就是书上的那句是对的。
那in an hour or two 能不能替换成in one hour or two 呢,谢谢。
in a day or two =in one or two days而不是in one day or two
请问:a day 和one day 有区别吗?谢谢
in an hour or two 就不能说成in one hour or two 了呗?谢谢
扫描下载二维码Lisa wrote:
We’re having a bit of an issue here at work. Can you address the usage of canceled vs. cancelled?
If you’re using a U.S. version of Word, typing cancelled will get you a wiggly green underline. However, both spellings, canceled and cancelled, are acceptable standard usage in English.
The doubled l in cancelled is B the single l is American usage.
In British usage, words of more than one syllable ending in l double the l before the addition of such endings as -ed, -ing, -ist, -ize, and –ise.
in American usage, the final l is doubled only when the stress falls on a syllable other than the first.
Where British usage calls for levelled, libelled, quarrelled, and travelled, American usage has leveled, libeled, quarreled, and traveled.
American usage agrees with British on annulled, controlled, patrolled, and extolled because the stress falls on the second syllable of these words. It should agree on enrolled as well, but I see enroled in many publications.
On the other hand, British usage draws the line at adding still another l to parallel in paralleled and parallelize.
Recommended for you: &
Related Articles
Subscribe to Receive our Articles and Exercises via Email
You will improve your English in only 5 minutes per day, guaranteed!
Subscribers get access to our exercise archives, writing courses, writing jobs and much more!
You'll also get three bonus ebooks completely free!
17 Responses to “One “L” or Two?”
Hang on, I should have read the full article
Can anyone explain why Americans spell ‘controlled’ “correctly”, ie with a double ‘l’, but then say traveled, leveled, etc.
Dawn Austin Locke
I have been researching the British English spelling of ‘journalling’ for a book I’m editing. The use of this word as a verb is in evolution and is not thoroughly addressed by the OED or other. I have stuck with the basic rule of doubling the L for a British audience, but am the focus of some contention! Any insight? (I am using the verb ‘to journal’ in the creative writing sense, not the machinery one.)
Thanks for any comment ?
“enrolled” is not a good example in this case, because the base verb is to enroll, with double l! I’m afraid that “enroled” is wrong on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean ?
American, but often favor cancelled over canceled.
traveled/travelled – one L’ 2 is good too ?
it’s just weird how enrolled can be spelled ‘enroled’ in the UK; installment here is instalment there.
This “preference” issue is out of place. There are some things that are a matter of style, and writers can properly choose what to write. Other things are not. Rules of spelling that differ e.g. in UK vs. US English are not matters of preference. “Travelling” is wrong if writing American English. Period. So are theatre, grey, and kerb. If you are writing in any form of standard English, you don’t get to pick whatever spelling strikes your fancy just because it is standard in a different dialect. Likewise, you don’t get to spell it “independance” because that’s how it’s spelled in French. Nor do you get to say someone is “in hospital” if you are speaking American English. To do so is simply affectation.
Preferred by whom?
Oxford spelling always prefers (insists on) the “z” form.
Trivial this, I know, but… I think ‘parallelise’ is the preferred British form, rather than ‘parallelize’.
I prefer the double “L” – of course I also prefer “Saviour”, etc. …
PreciseEdit,
I knew someone would get me on the “manly.”
Graham Strong
As both you and PreciseEdit said, you do have to agree upon a style guide with your client/employer before setting out.
That being said, professional writers are also expected to be the “expert” in this area. The Chicago Style Guide may differ from, say, the US Government Printing Style Guide in small ways. But generally speaking, spelling is consistent. The word “traveler” will be “traveler” in any US style guide. Yes, your dictionary may list the double-L version as a variant, but it is likely referring to the fact that the UK spelling is traveller. It does not mean that it is a correct way to spell it within the US. (BTW, I agree with you — the word seems more balanced with two Ls, doesn’t it?)
Incidentally, there are many words that do not yet have an accepted and consistent spelling like “Internet” vs. “internet” and “website” vs. “web site” etc. What I usually do is look at a client’s past use of these words, and keep consistency moving forward.
As for the effect of the Internet: I think that what is more likely to happen is that US spelling will become the “accepted” grammar system internationally. You already see this happening in Canada — all word processors have US dictionaries by default, so when all these non-writers do their spellchecks, suddenly they have squiggly lines under words that are actually spelled correctly (like “traveller”). I can’t tell you how frustrating it is to see this happening — my wife gets mad at me now anytime I point it out in Canadian signs and advertising, it happens so much.
This change will happen slower in places like the UK and Australia (further away from US influence) but I wouldn’t be surprised if, for example, places like Hong Kong and even perhaps the European Union eventually switch to US spelling and grammar.
In the short term though, yes, you can see the hodge-podge of styles in blogs and other social media already. People are used to seeing and reading different spelling styles. It certainly makes for a more exotic Global Village, doesn’t it?
TV commercials — lol — in Canada, we see the original UK commercial on Canadian channels, and the dubbed ones on US channels. For example, that Cheerios commercial where the husband asks his wife if she’s losing weight. (“The box says: ‘Shut up, Steve’.”) The dubbing is a little off in the US version…
I prefer the double “L” – of course I also prefer “Saviour”, etc. …
PreciseEdit
Overall, this discussion reminds me of two points we often have to address:
1. Select (or agree to) a particular style guide.
2. Follow it consistently.
As you point out, consistency may be more important than accuracy in cases like these. (Read Eats, Shoots and Leaves and note how often Truss neglects to follow her own admonition to place a comma before a conjunction that joins two independent clauses.)
We see these issues frequently when assisting British writers, Australian writers, and Canadian writers (each of which has a unique style) and when assisting doctoral candidates with dissertations (MLA vs. APA, for example).
Even individual writers have particular styles (semi-colons vs. colons vs. periods, for example.)
I am always amused to see inconsistencies in spellings and punctuation, or when a writer of one nationality has text that adheres to conventions of a different nationality (such as American authors with British English spellings).
I generally blame the editor, not the writer.
I know that what you say about conforming to the different spelling systems is the sensible way of dealing with spelling differences like the ones discussed here:
There are several different spelling and grammar systems in English, and each particular spelling is correct within its respective system, but not outside of it.
For example, “traveler” would be the only correct spelling inside the US, but not outside where “traveller” would be correct.
Although I write within the U.S., I think traveller “looks better” than traveler and that’s the form I prefer.
I can even justify using the double l spelling because when I look it up in that all-accepting U.S. authority–Merriam-Webster–I find it listed as “a variant spelling” of traveler and not as “the British spelling of.” If it’s a variant, I can use it, no?
When I write for publication, of course, I follow the designated style guide.
You speak of the internet age. It’s not just on the web that the different systems of English are colliding. The U.S. entertainment industry is studded with British, Canadian, and Australian actors. They’re very good at adopting American accents, but they appear on talk shows where they speak in their native accents and vocabulary.
U. S. television commercials feature British and Australian voice-overs that project not only the accents, but some of the idioms as well.
Is it perhaps possible that this cultural cross-pollination will make all the variants acceptable for writers regardless of place of residence?
It seems to me that as long as one is consistent, not writing “traveler” some of the time and “traveller” other times, the writer of English ought to be able to choose the forms he prefers–never forgetting that when writing on assignment one follows the style preferred by the publisher or employer.
Graham Strong
Great post — I think this gets many people confused in this Internet age!
A side note here: in Canadian English, as in the English grammar systems of most (all?) other Commonwealth countries, the correct spelling is with a double “L”, not the single.
As for “enrolment” — that’s one of those weird ones where the “L” is doubled in American English, and single in all other forms (that I’m aware of).
Lastly, I think it is a little inaccurate to say that “both spellings… are acceptable standard usage in English” — actually I’m not sure this is exactly what you meant to say Maeve. There are several different spelling and grammar systems in English, and each particular spelling is correct within its respective system, but not outside of it.
For example, “traveler” would be the only correct spelling inside the US, but not outside where “traveller” would be correct.
I am amazed–I have never seen “enroled,” and I assumed it was because the base word is spelled with double “l” at the end (and, of course, the accent is on the second syllable). However, I just looked it up, and find that “enrol” is an acceptable spelling of the base word! You learn something new every day!
What is more appropriate in American usage: “He pled guilty” or “He pleaded guilty”?
Email address (required) :
Website URL :
Speak your mind :

我要回帖

更多关于 fourteen feet 的文章

随机推荐