whyknock three times?

Three Times Lucky Book Review | Plugged In&iframe src="///ns.html?id=GTM-WPJ75C" height="0" width="0" style="display:visibility:hidden"&&/iframe&
One-timeMonthly$50 $100 $150$300$
GiveSign up for a campaign update: GOBy checking, I agree to receive emails from Focus on the FamilymoreSUMMER SHORTFALL! Help Focus equip families to navigate pop culture!$50 $100 $150 $300 Other...OUR STORY OURSTORYCLOSE CLOSE Plugged In exists to shine a light on the world of popular entertainment while giving you and your family the essential tools you need to understand, navigate and impact the culture in which we live. Through reviews, articles and discussions, we want to spark intellectual thought, spiritual growth and a desire to follow the command of Colossians 2:8: "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ."&div&Please enable Javascript to watch this video&/div&Family uses Plugged In as a ‘significant compass’"I am at a loss for words to adequately express how much it means to my husband and me to know that there is an organization like Focus that is rooting for us.
Just today I was reading Psalm 37 and thinking about how your ministry provides ways to 'dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.'
We have two teenagers and an 8-year-old in our household...Plugged In has become a significant compass for our family.
All three of our kids are dedicated to their walk with Christ but they still encounter challenges.
Thanks for all of your research and persistence in helping us navigate through stormy waters."Plugged In helps college student stand-up for his belief"Thanks for the great job you do in posting movie and television reviews online.
I’m a college freshman and I recently had a confrontational disagreement with my English professor regarding an R-rated film.
It is her favorite movie and she wanted to show it in class.
I went to your Web site to research the film’s content.
Although I had not seen the movie myself, I was able to make an educated argument against it based on the concerns you outlined.
The prof said that she was impressed by my stand and decided to poll the whole class and give us a choice.
We overwhelmingly voted to watch a G-rated movie instead!
I’ve learned that I can trust your site and I will be using it a lot in the future.”Plugged In brings ‘Sanity and Order’ to Non-believer“Even though I don’t consider myself a Christian, I find your Plugged In Web site useful and thought-provoking.
No one reviews movies like you do.
Instead of being judgmental, you put entertainment ‘on trial.’
After presenting the evidence, you allow the jury of your readers to decide for themselves what they should do.
In my opinion, you bring sanity and order to the wild world of modern day entertainment.
Keep up the good work!”Mom thinks Plugged In is the ‘BEST Christian media review site’"Our family doesn't go to the movies until we go online and check out your assessment of a given film.
I think this is the BEST Christian media review website that I've found, and I recommend it to my family and friends.
Keep up the good work!"SUPPORT THE WORK OF PLUGGED INOur hope is that whether you're a parent, youth leader or teen, the information and tools at Plugged In will help you and your family make appropriate media decisions. We are privileged to do the work we do, and are continually thankful for the generosity and support from you, our loyal readers, listeners and friends.-OR-Three Times LuckyWe hope this review was both interesting and useful. Please share it with family and friends who would benefit from it as well.Book ReviewThis humorous mystery book by Sheila Turnage is published by Dial Books for Young Readers, an imprint of the Penguin Group Inc.
Three Times Lucky is written for kids ages 10 and up. The age range reflects readability and not necessarily content appropriateness.Positive ElementsSpiritual ContentSexual ContentViolent ContentCrude or Profane LanguageDrug and Alcohol ContentOther Negative ElementsConclusionPro-social ContentObjectionable ContentSummary AdvisoryPlot SummaryMo LoBeau's birth and infancy are a mystery. Eleven years earlier during a hurricane, a man named the Colonel found a newborn strapped to a billboard that was floating down a river. He saved her, named her Moses (Mo) and is raising her, together with Miss Lana. Mo believes someday she'll find her "upstream mother." Although she misses knowing who her real mother is and continues searching for her, Mo considers herself lucky to have been rescued and to be living with the Colonel and Miss Lana.
The Colonel and Miss Lana operate a café in Tupelo Landing, N.C., population 148. The Colonel himself is a mystery because he has no memory of his life prior to finding Mo. He lost his memory when he sustained a head injury when his car crashed the ni he found Mo as he was stumbling away from the wreck.
When a man from town found the two, the Colonel was wearing a colonel's uniform with the name Lobo on it. Miss Lana changed the name to LoBeau when Mo started kindergarten. The Colonel hates lawyers and even has a sign in the café that says, "No Lawyers." He and Miss Lana have a three-day rule — whenever either of them is away more than three days, the one who is away must phone so the other knows they are OK.
Dale Earnhardt Johnson III is Mo's best friend. When Mr. Jesse, a frequent patron of the café, is murdered, Mo and Dale decide to solve the murder. Mo goes to the crime scene and spies on Detective Starr and two deputies, Marla and Ben, who are conducting the investigation. Starr is in the area already because he's been working on a case involving stolen money. Mo trips and falls in the water, which announces her presence to the detective and deputies, and at the same time discovers the murder weapon — a wooden oar belonging to Mr. Jesse's boat.
Dale is a person of interest because he was one of the last to see Mr. Jesse before he died. Starr doesn't think that Dale murdered Mr. Jesse, but he decides to take him into protective custody as a setup to lure the murderer out of hiding. Mo and Dale notice that another man is spying on them. They call him Plainclothes Phil and think perhaps he is acting as a bodyguard for Starr. About the same time, the Colonel leaves, and Mo and Miss Lana begin to worry when he breaks the three-day rule.
At the funeral for Mr. Jesse, the congregation is astonished to learn that the grumpy, churchless Mr. Jesse gave $100 weekly, totaling over time, more than $50,000, to the church.
One night, Mo returns home to find their living area torn up and Miss Lana missing. Dale arrives right behind her and finds a note addressed to Starr on the kitchen table. They deduce that the murderer has taken Miss Lana. Out of fear, they run away from the house, but Starr shows up and sees them fleeing.
Starr's team searches for clues and determines that Miss Lana was dragged away after a struggle. As Mo and Dale look at mug shots on Starr's laptop, Miss Rose stops by to comfort Mo. Suddenly Dale sees Plainclothes Phil's picture. They learn from Starr that Plainclothes Phil is not part of their investigation but that he is Robert Slate, a wanted bank robber who recently escaped from prison.
Mo goes home with Miss Rose and Dale, so she won't be alone. The next day Slate calls, and they learn that he has both the Colonel and Miss Lana and wants a $500,000 ransom, the amount of never-recovered money from Slate's bank robbery. A trace on Mr. Jesse's money to the church reveals that it was from the robbery and that he was connected to the crime.
As Mo and Dale help prepare Miss Rose's house for a forecasted hurricane, Mo gets a call from the Colonel. The connection is poor, and Mo can understand only that he escaped from Slate, that she is to get a packet from his closet shelf and to trust no one. Dale and Mo bicycle to the Colonel's house to get the packet. Mo takes a quick peek and sees that it contains old newspaper clippings. Before they have a chance to leave, a man enters through the front door. They figure it's Slate. He begins to rummage through the closets while they hide under Miss Lana's bed.
As they hear him leave, they hear a woman enter. They scramble toward the living room and run into Marla, the deputy, who points a gun at them. Unexpectedly, Marla isn't so friendly now. She puts away her gun, but interrogates the kids, wanting to know what they're up to. Mo throws a boot at Marla, and she falls, striking her head. The kids tie her up, flatten her tires and take off on Dale's bicycle.
En route to Dale's house, Mo is suddenly hit with the knowledge of where Slate is hiding Miss Lana — an abandoned house nearby. They bike to the abandoned house, but find it empty, though blood-stained. Then they head back to Dale's house where they play cards and wait out the storm.
All at once the door bursts open, and Dale's dad, drunk and angry, is in the room, even though Miss Rose has a restraining order against him. Mr. Macon physically assaults her, and Dale gets a rifle and aims it at him, telling him to get out or he'll kill him. Suddenly, the Colonel appears from a hallway, takes the rifle from Dale and iterates the threat. They tie up Mr. Macon and continue to wait out the storm. Mr. Macon tells them that Miss Lana is being held at Mr. Jesse's house. As they talk, they agree that Marla must have conned them all and was in league with Slate. The Colonel looks through the newspaper clippings in the packet that Miss Lana had saved for him. He knows he must be connected to the robbery, but he isn't sure how.
When the storm begins to abate, the kids and the Colonel, packing an empty pistol, take Miss Rose's car to Mr. Jesse's house. They sneak up to the house, and they split up, the Colonel going in one direction and the kids going in another. Dale and Mo observe Slate through a window as he pries up floorboards to reveal large spaces where things could be hidden but haven't been. Mo and Dale break into the house, kick Slate into the space under the floorboards and secure him by pulling a heavy oak table over the opening. When the Colonel returns, he uses a cord to tie up Slate, while Mo keeps the empty pistol trained on him. Next Starr appears at the door, and he has Miss Lana. She had escaped from Slate by hitting him with a lamp.
As the investigation winds down, Starr presents a newspaper clipping that upsets the Colonel because it shows that he was a defense lawyer at Slate's trial, and he hates lawyers. They find a metal box under the floor that contains the remainder of the bank robbery money. Slate and Marla are sent off to jail, and the town gets back to its routine, starting with a grand reopening of the café.Christian BeliefsOn the night he found Mo, the Colonel recounts how he cried out to God, asking Him what He wanted from him and to give him a sign. Dale's family is Baptist. When Mo figures out Miss Lana's location, Dale thanks Jesus. Miss Rose prays during the storm.
The Rev. Thompson says his son, Thessalonians, avoided summer school because of makeup tests and prayer. The Rev. Thompson offers Creekside Church as a venue for Mr. Jesse's funeral. When Mo tells Starr that her name is Moses, she says it's biblical and tells him not to make fun of it because the last person who did drowned in the Red Sea. Dale sings in church, sometimes as a soloist with his mother as accompanist, and his father calls it sissified. He sings "Amazing Grace" at Mr. Jesse's funeral.Other Belief SystemsMiss Lana says that Mo's circumstances are a result of Fate or Forces U Dale says they are a miracle. Mo says Miss Lana studied her like a star chart and read her voice like a gypsy reads tea leaves. She tries mental telepathy when Miss Lana has been kidnapped by saying, "Think to me" and tells her she's staying at Miss Rose's house. Mo writes in her journal that everyone has a way of believing: The Colonel doesn't attend church because God "took Sunday off" so he does, too. If God wants him, He'll know where to find him. Miss Lana attends church on Christmas and Easter. Mo likes to go to church to hear stories about the original Moses. Dale's brother, Lavender, believes in NASCAR Zen. Mo writes to her mother and asks what she believes in. Mo adds that she believes in treating people well.Authority RolesThe Colonel is a gruff parent figure, but he generally has common sense and deeply loves Mo. He and Miss Lana are unmarried. They share the same house, but he maintains separate quarters, and they seldom are home at the same time. The Colonel's parenting style is not in synch with Miss Lana's, allowing Mo, for example, a later curfew. He calls Mo Soldier and tries to instill solid values in her by telling her, for example, that he expects her to obey curfew, be considerate of others and never lie.
Miss Lana, 36, is somewhat eccentric, dressing up from time to time as different Hollywood celebrities. She encourages Mo to journal to and about her mother, instead of behaving violently toward others. She also deeply loves Mo and is the only mother Mo has known.Profanity/ViolenceInfrequent use of the words jacka--, dumb as dirt, pee, moron, dang, reptile brain, dad-blamed, cripes. Lord and God are used with good, sake and help me, once each. Mr. Jesse calls Dale a "no-good son of a white trash drunk."
As a kindergartener, Mo uses her head to ram into another girl, leaving her "wheezing in the mud." Dale's dad is an alcoholic and abuses his wife. When he returns to the house in the storm, he grabs her by her blouse, pulling her up on her toes. Then he slaps her, snapping her head back, and she falls to the floor as her knees buckle. Dale gets his mother's rifle and aims it at his dad, telling him he'll kill him if he doesn't get out of the house. His mother divorces Mr. Macon at the book's end. Marla pinches Mo a couple of times. Once she shakes Mo hard enough to make Mo's head snap back.Kissing/Sex/HomosexualityMo is infatuated with Dale's 19-year-old brother, L she wants to marry him someday and adopt six children. She obsesses about his good looks. Lavender kisses Mo' she calls it her first kiss. Dale refers to Miss Lana's breasts as boobs. The café is kept available Wednesdays for emergency bridal showers.
Miss Lana tells the truth about her relationship with the Colonel. They met 12 earlier, and it was love at first sight. They had plans to elope and move to Paris when a hurricane struck and the Colonel had his car accident. When he had no recollection of his life, Miss Lana hoped he would fall in love with her again. They started a business in Tupelo Landing and live in the same house, unmarried.Discussion TopicsIf your children have read this book or someone has read it to them, consider these discussion topics:
Mrs. Simpson ostracizes Mo because she is not from their town. Her daughter, Anna, teases Mo at every opportunity, calling her "Mo-ron" and bringing up her motherless state.
How does Mo respond to these taunts?
Is she justified in her hate for Anna?
How does the Bible say you should respond to insults (Matthew 5:39)?
Consider Mo's statements about church attendance.
How does each person rationalize not going to church?
Why do you go to church?
How is our worship at church designed to please and glorify God?
Is its purpose to please people, as these characters seem to think?
What is the difference between infatuation and love?
Do you think Lavender spends as much time thinking about Mo as she does about him?
When Lavender kisses Mo on her cheek, how does she react?
Do you think Lavender has any idea that Mo is infatuated with him?
Why do Dale and his brother become nervous around authority figures?
How does their father's abuse play a role in their reactions?
Have you ever known anyone whose mother or father was abusive?
What constitutes abuse?
What would you do if you knew of someone who was being abused?
Additional Comments/NotesTheft: Dale "strongly borrows" Mr. Jesse's boat so he and Mo can go fishing.
Deception: Dale and his family lie whenever a person of the law is near. The Colonel never lies, we're told, but he lies to Detective Starr about when he purchased his car. Dale sneaks out of his house at 3 a.m. to go to Mo's house because he is afraid he's being named as a suspect in the murder. Mo lies to Miss Rose about what hour she called Dale. Miss Lana forbids Mo to go to the crime scene alone, but she goes anyway.
Alcohol: The doctor tells 19-year-old Lavender after he gets a concussion, "No alcohol and no women." Miss Rose tells Lavender's friend that he smells like a brewery and that he shouldn't drive. Then she suggests he drive Mo home. Dale's dad is an alcoholic who frequently beats his wife, sometimes his son, and is found passed out in one of the bedrooms.
Book reviews cover the content, themes and world-views of fiction books, not their literary merit, and equip parents to decide whether a book is appropriate for their children. A book's inclusion does not constitute an endorsement by Focus on the Family.
You can request a review of a title you can't find at .Episode ReviewsCreditsRatingReadability Age Range10 and upGenreAuthorSheila TurnageCastDirectorDistributorNetworkPerformanceRecord LabelPlatformPublisherDial Books for Young Readers, an imprint of the Penguin Group Inc.ReleasedOn VideoYear Published2013AwardsReviewerWe hope this review was both interesting and useful. Please share it with family and friends who would benefit from it as well.AdvertisementThis week’s most popularbook ReviewsAdvertisement Plugged In BlogGood media discernment is about guarding our eyes and hearts before we watch or listen. And it's also about grappling with the entertainment we do see or hear. That's why the Plugged In Blog is devoted to guarding, discussing and grappling.Donate TodayPlugged In exists to help you and your family make family appropriate entertainment choices. But the work we do is only made possible by donations from generous readers like you.Please help Plugged In continue to make a difference by donating today. Family SafetyProtecting our families today is more vital than ever. And by partnering with ClearPlay and Net Nanny, Focus on the Family hopes to point you to resources and tools that can help you navigate the entertainment world around you.40+ activities
* &&&&(40 exercises)
* &&&&&&&&(PDF)
(USA female)
(20 questions)
* &&&&(10 sentences)
&&&&(200 - 500 wpm)
Women talk three times more than men (23rd February, 2013)
Researchers in the USA have found that a protein in the brain might explain why women are more talkative than men - three times more chatty, in fact. The research team at the University of Maryland say a &language protein& that goes by the name of Foxp2 is a lot more prevalent in women's brains. The protein was first discovered a decade ago and was deemed to be a key neurological component of speech. The scientists say it is a lot more abundant in girls than boys. They believe the protein is the reason why girls start speaking earlier and more quickly than boys. It also supports claims that women speak about 20,000 words a day, compared to just 7,000 words for the average man.
Research team leader professor Margaret McCarthy said: &This study is one of the first to report a sex difference in the expression of a language-associated protein in humans or animals.& She added: &The findings raise the possibility that sex differences in brain and behaviour are more [widespread], and established earlier than previously [thought].& Other scientists have said there is more than one protein responsible for speech and that the research is in its infancy. Readers of Britain's Daily Mail newspaper offered some interesting insights into the chattiness of women. One said women have to talk more because, &men are not good listeners and women must repeat themselves to be heard&.
Sources:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9884652/Why-women-are-the-talkative-sex.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2281891/Women-really-talk-men-13-000-words-day-precise.html#ixzz2LbUBAgjf
SHARE THIS LESSON:
1. TALKATIVENESS: Walk around the class and talk to other students about talkativeness. Change partners often and share your findings.
2. CHAT: In pairs / groups, decide which of these topics or words from the article are most interesting and which are most boring.
researchers
/ protein / talkative / women's brains / speech / speaking quickly / words /
professor / expression / possibility / widespread / responsible / infancy /
Have a chat about the topics you liked. Change topics and partners frequently.
3. SEX DIFFERENCES: What are your insights about how women and men differ? Complete this table with your partner(s). Change partners often and share what you wrote.
talkativeness
leadership
mental strength
4. CHATTY: Students A strongly believe it's easier to ta Students B strongly believe men are easier to talk to.& Change partners again and talk about your conversations.
5. CONVERSATION: What do you like to talk about? Rank these and share your rankings with your partner. Put the best at the top. Change partners often and share your rankings.
the meaning of life
the weekend
the weather
6. LANGUAGE: Spend one minute writing down all of the different words you associate with the word 'language'. Share your words with your partner(s) and talk about them. Together, put the words into different categories.
BEFORE READING / LISTENING
1. TRUE / FALSE: Read the headline. Guess if& a-h& below are true (T) or false (F).
Women talk more because there diets are richer in
Women have more of something called Foxp2 in their
brain than men.
Foxp2 was first discovered ten years ago.
Women use 13,000 more words a day than
The report is the very first to report sex
differences in human speech.
Other scientists say Foxp2 is the only protein
responsible for speech.
The scientists said more research needs to be
carried out on infants.
Someone said women have
to talk more because men don't listen.
2. SYNONYM MATCH: Match the following synonyms from the article.
assertions
goes by the name of
associated
widespread
established
early days
3. PHRASE MATCH: &(Sometimes more than one choice is possible.)
goes by the
a lot more
neurological
in the brain
compared to
just 7,000 words
previously thought
established earlier than
themselves to
more than one protein
some interesting
component of
men are not
responsible
for speech
women must repeat
for the average man
Researchers in the USA have found that a
protein in the brain might (1) ____________ why women are more talkative than
men - three times more chatty, in (2) ____________. The research team at the
University of Maryland say a &language protein& that (3)
____________ by the name of Foxp2 is a lot more prevalent in women's brains.
The protein was first discovered a decade ago and was (4) ____________ to be
a key neurological (5) ____________ of speech. The scientists say it is a lot
more (6) ____________ in girls than boys. They believe the protein is the
reason why girls start speaking earlier and more quickly than boys. It also (7)
____________ claims that women speak about 20,000 words a day, compared to
just 7,000 words for the (8) ____________ man.
Research team leader professor Margaret
McCarthy said: &This study is one of the first to (9) ____________ a sex
difference in the expression of a language-associated protein in humans or
animals.& She added: &The findings (10) ____________ the
possibility that sex differences in brain and behaviour are more [(11)
____________], and established earlier than &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&(12) ____________ [thought].&
Other scientists have said there is more than one protein responsible for
speech and that the research is in its (13) ____________. Readers of
Britain's Daily Mail newspaper offered some interesting (14) ____________ into
the chattiness of women. One said women have to talk more because, &men
are not good (15) ____________ and women must repeat themselves to be (16)
____________ &.
previously
widespread
LISTENING - Guess the answers. Listen to check.
are more talkative than men - three times ______
a.& more chat, tea and fact
b.& more chatty, in facts
c.& more chatty, in fact
d.& most chatty, in fact
a &language protein&
that ______ of Foxp2
a.& goes by the name
b.& goes in the name
c.& goes of the name
d.& goes under the name
deemed to be a key ______ of
a.& neurology opponent
b.& neurologically component
c.& neurological component
d.& neurological component
They believe the protein is the
reason why girls start speaking ______
a.& early and more quickly
b.& earlier and most quickly
c.& earlier and more quick
d.& earlier and more quickly
compared to just 7,000 words ______
a.& for the averaged man
b.& for the average man
c.& for average men
d.& for this average man
This study is one of the first to
a.& reporter sex difference
b.& report a sex differential
c.& report a sex difference
d.& report sex differences
raise the possibility that sex
differences in brain and behaviour ______
a.& are more widespread
b.& are more widely spread
c.& are more wildly spread
d. &are most widespread
research is ______
a.& in its infancy
b.& in its infants
c.& at its infancy
d.& on its infants
offered some interesting ______
a.& insiders into the chattiness
b.& insights onto the chattiness
c.& insides into the chatty ness
d.& in sites in to the chattiness
women must repeat themselves ______
a.& too to be heard
b.& to be hard
c.& to be heard
d.& two be hard
LISTENING & Listen and fill in the gaps
Researchers in the USA have found (1) __________________ the brain might explain why women (2) __________________ than men - three times more chatty, in fact. The research team at the University of Maryland say a &language protein& that goes by the name of Foxp2 (3) __________________ in women's brains. The protein was first discovered a decade ago and was (4) __________________ neurological component of speech. The scientists say it is (5) __________________ girls than boys. They believe the protein is the reason why girls start speaking earlier and more quickly than boys. It also supports claims that women speak about 20,000 words a day, compared to just 7,000 &(6) __________________ man.
Research team leader professor Margaret McCarthy said: &This study is one of the first to (7) __________________ in the expression of a language-associated protein in humans or animals.& She added: &The findings raise the possibility that sex differences (8) __________________ are more [widespread], and established (9) __________________ [thought].& Other scientists have said there is more than one protein responsible for speech and that the research (10) __________________. Readers of Britain's Daily Mail newspaper offered (11) __________________ into the chattiness of women. One said women have to talk more because, &men are not good listeners and women must repeat (12) __________________ &.
COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
What in the brain could explain the talkativeness
the name of the protein mentioned in the article?
long have scientists known about this protein?
the article say about the protein, and boys and girls?
words a day do women use than men?
Who is Margaret
other scientists say about the current research?
is the research into the talkativeness protein?
a newspaper reader say women have to talk more?
the reader say women have to say the same things again?
MULTIPLE CHOICE - QUIZ
What is it in the brain that
might explain women's talkativeness?
Who is Margaret McCarthy?
a) a carbohydrate
b) an area of &language cells&
c) a protein
d) an extra part of the brain
a) the world's most talkative
b) a scientific researcher
c) someone who took part in tests
d) a language expert
What's the name of the thing that's more common in women's brains?
How many speech proteins did a different scientist say there were?
a) countless numbers
b) just once
c) thousands
d) more than one
For how long have researchers known about he &language
How old is research into the talkativeness of the sexes?
a) 10 days
b) 10 weeks
c) 10 months
d) 10 years
a) decades old
b) very young
c) 27 years old
d) brand new
What did scientists judge the protein to be an important part of?
Why did a newspaper reader say women talk more?
a) guessing the meaning of
c) listening
d) grammar
a) men are not good at listening
b) men love to listen
c) men like the sound of women's voices
d) it's a competition to outtalk men
How many more words a day do women use than men?
Why did the reader say women have to repeat themselves?
because they love talking
b) to double-check meaning
c) because they are women
d) so men finally hear what they say
Role& A & Woman
You love talking. Tell the
others three reasons why. You think men aren't so good at talking. You think
men's topics are boring. You believe women are naturally more interesting to
talk to. Tell the man he should talk more and be more interesting.
Role& B & Man
You love talking. Tell the
others three reasons why. You think women aren't so good at talking. You
think women's topics are boring. You believe men are naturally more
interesting to talk to. Tell the woman she should talk more and be more
interesting.
Role& C & Speech
You believe women speak a lot
more than men but what they say isn't so interesting. Tell the others three
reasons why. Ask the woman why she thinks she has more interesting things to
say than men. Ask the man why women aren't interesting and men are.
Role& D & Alien
You have been on Earth for a
year now. You think both men and women talk a lot of nonsense. Ask them why
they gossip. Tell them their discussions are full of untrue facts. Tell the
woman talking about shopping is a waste of time. Tell the man that talking
about sport is meaningless.
AFTER READING / LISTENING
1. WORD SEARCH: Look in your dictionary / computer to find collocates, other meanings, information, synonyms & for the words 'language' and 'protein'.
Share your findings with your
Make questions using the words you found.
Ask your partner / group your
questions.
2. ARTICLE QUESTIONS: Look back at the article and write down some questions you would like to ask the class about the text.
Share your questions with other classmates /
Ask your partner / group your
questions.
3. GAP FILL: In pairs / groups, compare your answers to this exercise. Check your answers. Talk about the words from the activity. Were they new, interesting, worth learning&?
4. VOCABULARY: Circle any words you do not understand. In groups, pool unknown words and use dictionaries to find their meanings.
5. TEST EACH OTHER: Look at the words below. With your partner, try to recall how they were used in the text:
previously
responsible
TALKATIVENESS SURVEY
Write five GOOD questions about talkativeness in the table. Do this in pairs. Each student must write the questions on his / her own paper.
When you have finished, interview other students. Write down their answers.
Make mini-presentations to
other groups on your findings.
TALKATIVENESS DISCUSSION
STUDENT A's QUESTIONS (Do not show these to student B)
did you think when you read the headline?
springs to mind when you hear the word 'talkative'?
talkative are you?
do you think of people who talk too much?
you prefer to talk to men or women?
do women talk about and why?
you think women talk three times more than men?
your favourite topic of conversation (and why)?
men try and talk more to keep up with women?
What advice would you give to
shy people who can't find things to say?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
STUDENT B's QUESTIONS (Do not show these to student A)
you like reading this article? Why/not?
you like to be able to talk more?
me about someone you know who talks too much.
do men talk about and why?
do you think women have a protein in their brain that makes them talk three
times more than men?
do men and women talk about that is boring?
everyone talk too much?
you believe that &silence is golden&?
men really such bad listeners?
What questions would you like to
ask the scientists?
DISCUSSION (Write your own questions)
STUDENT A's QUESTIONS (Do not show these to
student B)
student A)
Researchers in the USA have found that a protein in the brain might (1) ____ why women are more talkative than men - three times more chatty, in (2) ____. The research team at the University of Maryland say a &language protein& that goes by the name of Foxp2 is a lot more (3) ____ in women's brains. The protein was first discovered a decade ago and was deemed to be a key neurological (4) ____ of speech. The scientists say it is a lot more abundant (5) ____ girls than boys. They believe the protein is the reason why girls start speaking earlier and more quickly than boys. It also supports (6) ____ that women speak about 20,000 words a day, compared to just 7,000 words for the average man.
Research team leader professor Margaret McCarthy said: &This study is one of the first to report a sex difference in the (7) ____ of a language-associated protein in humans or animals.& She added: &The findings (8) ____ the possibility that sex differences in brain and behaviour are more [widespread], and established earlier than (9) ____ [thought].& Other scientists have said there is more than one protein responsible for speech and that the research is in its (10) ____. Readers of Britain's Daily Mail newspaper offered some interesting (11) ____ into the chattiness of women. One said women have to talk more because, &men are not good listeners and women must repeat themselves to be (12) ____ &.
Put the correct words from the table below in the above article.
explaining
explanation
previously
prevailing
remittance
repression
compression
expression
perilously
imperviously
previously
Paragraph 1
language rtinpeo
a lot more relaevtnp
cleolraognui component
The ssscnetiit
a lot more bduanant
the agravee man
Paragraph 2
orerfossp Margaret McCarthy
language-csatdisoea
differences in brain and bevruhiao
earlier than yrosluevip thought
some interesting gtnhssii
the ainscthset of women
PUT THE TEXT BACK TOGETHER
Number these lines in the correct order.
earlier and more quickly than boys. It also supports
claims that women speak
talkative than men - three times more chatty, in fact.
The research team at the University of Maryland say a &language
sex difference in the expression of a
language-associated protein in humans or animals.& She added:
about 20,000 words a day, compared to just 7,000 words
for the average man.
discovered a decade ago and was deemed to be a key
neurological component of speech. The scientists say it is a lot
protein responsible for speech and that the research is
in its infancy. Readers of Britain's Daily
Research team leader professor Margaret McCarthy said:
&This study is one of the first to report a
have to talk more because, &men are not good
listeners and women must repeat themselves to be heard&.
Mail newspaper offered some interesting insights into
the chattiness of women. One said women
&The findings raise the possibility that sex
differences in brain and behaviour are more [widespread], and
established earlier than previously [thought].&
Other scientists have said there is more than one
Researchers in the USA have found that a protein in the
brain might explain why women are more
protein& that goes by the name of Foxp2 is a lot
more prevalent in women's brains. The protein was first
abundant in girls than boys. They believe the protein is the reason why girls
start speaking
PUT THE WORDS IN THE RIGHT ORDER
to&&& Compared&&& man&&&
average&&& the&&& for&&&
words&&& 7,000.&&&
than&&& women&&&
men&&& are&&& more&&&
Explain&&& talkative&&& why.&&&
of&&& Foxp2&&&
A&&& language&&& protein&&&
that&&& goes&&& by&&&
the&&& name.&&&
lot&&& a&&&
is& &&it&&&
say&&& scientists&&& The&&&
girls&&& in&&& abundant&&& more.&&&
to&&& Compared&&& man&&&
average&&& the&&& for&&&
words&&& 7,000&&& just.&&&
first&& a&&&
is&&& the&&& report&&
difference&& study&& of&&
to&& sex&& This&&
are& &&in&&&
more&&& brain&&& widespread&&& and&&&
behaviour&&& Differences.&&&
speech&&& is&&&
one&&& for&&& There&&&
than&&& responsible&&& more&&&
protein.&&&
offered&&& The&&&
some&&& Daily&&& interesting&& Mail&&
insights&& newspaper.&&&
themselves&&& repeat&&&
must&&& Women&&& heard&&&
be&&& to.&&&
CIRCLE THE CORRECT WORD (20 PAIRS)
Researchers in the USA have found that a protein in the brain might explain why women are more talkative than men - three times more chatter-box / chatty, in fact. The research team at the University of Maryland say a &language protein& that goes / comes by the name of Foxp2 is a lot more prevalent / prevalence in women's brains. The protein was first discovered a decade ago and was doomed / deemed to be a lock / key neurological component of speeches / speech. The scientists say it is a lot more abundance / abundant in girls than boys. They believe the protein is the reason / reasoning why girls start speaking earlier and more quickly than boys. It also supportive / supports claims that women speak about 20,000 words a day, compared to just 7,000 words for / by the average man.
Research team leader professor Margaret McCarthy said: &This study is one of the first to report a sex difference in the expressive / expression of a language-associated protein in / on humans or animals.& She added: &The findings rise / raise the possibility that sex differences in brain and behavioural / behaviour are more [widespread], and established earlier / early than previously [thought].& Other scientists have said there is most / more than one protein responsible of / for speech and that the research is in its infancy / infants. Readers of Britain's Daily Mail newspaper offered some interesting insights into / onto the chattiness of women. One said women have to talk more because, &men are not good listeners and women must repeat themselves to be hearing / heard&.
Talk about the connection between each pair of words in italics, and why the correct word is correct.
INSERT THE VOWELS (a, e, i, o, u)
R_s__rch_rs _n th_ _S_ h_v_ f__nd th_t _ pr_t__n _n th_ br__n m_ght _xpl__n why w_m_n _r_ m_r_ t_lk_t_v_ th_n m_n - thr__ t_m_s m_r_ ch_tty, _n f_ct. Th_ r_s__rch t__m _t th_ _n_v_rs_ty _f M_ryl_nd s_y _ &l_ng__g_ pr_t__n& th_t g__s by th_ n_m_ _f F_xp2 _s _ l_t m_r_ pr_v_l_nt _n w_m_n's br__ns. Th_ pr_t__n w_s f_rst d_sc_v_r_d _ d_c_d_ _g_ _nd w_s d__m_d t_ b_ _ k_y n__r_l_g_c_l c_mp_n_nt _f sp__ch. Th_ sc__nt_sts s_y _t _s _ l_t m_r_ _b_nd_nt _n g_rls th_n b_ys. Th_y b_l__v_ th_ pr_t__n _s th_ r__s_n why g_rls st_rt sp__k_ng __rl__r _nd m_r_ q__ckly th_n b_ys. _t _ls_ s_pp_rts cl__ms th_t w_m_n sp__k _b__t 20,000 w_rds _ d_y, c_mp_r_d t_ j_st 7,000 w_rds f_r th_ _v_r_g_ m_n.
R_s__rch t__m l__d_r pr_f_ss_r M_rg_r_t McC_rthy s__d: &Th_s st_dy _s _n_ _f th_ f_rst t_ r_p_rt _ s_x d_ff_r_nc_ _n th_ _xpr_ss__n _f _ l_ng__g_-_ss_c__t_d pr_t__n _n h_m_ns _r _n_m_ls.& Sh_ _dd_d: &Th_ f_nd_ngs r__s_ th_ p_ss_b_l_ty th_t s_x d_ff_r_nc_s _n br__n _nd b_h_v___r _r_ m_r_ [w_d_spr__d], _nd _st_bl_sh_d __rl__r th_n pr_v___sly [th__ght].& _th_r sc__nt_sts h_v_ s__d th_r_ _s m_r_ th_n _n_ pr_t__n r_sp_ns_bl_ f_r sp__ch _nd th_t th_ r_s__rch _s _n _ts _nf_ncy. R__d_rs _f Br_t__n's D__ly M__l n_wsp_p_r _ff_r_d s_m_ _nt_r_st_ng _ns_ghts _nt_ th_ ch_tt_n_ss _f w_m_n. _n_ s__d w_m_n h_v_ t_ t_lk m_r_ b_c__s_, &m_n _r_ n_t g__d l_st_n_rs _nd w_m_n m_st r_p__t th_ms_lv_s t_ b_ h__rd&.
PUNCTUATE THE TEXT AND ADD CAPITALS
researchers in the usa have found that a protein in the brain might explain why women are more talkative than men - three times more chatty in fact the research team at the university of maryland say a &language protein& that goes by the name of foxp2 is a lot more prevalent in women's brains the protein was first discovered a decade ago and was deemed to be a key neurological component of speech the scientists say it is a lot more abundant in girls than boys they believe the protein is the reason why girls start speaking earlier and more quickly than boys it also supports claims that women speak about 20000 words a day compared to just 7000 words for the average man
research team leader professor margaret mccarthy said &this study is one of the first to report a sex difference in the expression of a language-associated protein in humans or animals& she added &the findings raise the possibility that sex differences in brain and behaviour are more [widespread] and established earlier than previously [thought]& other scientists have said there is more than one protein responsible for speech and that the research is in its infancy readers of britain's daily mail newspaper offered some interesting insights into the chattiness of women one said women have to talk more because &men are not good listeners and women must repeat themselves to be heard&
PUT A SLASH ( / ) WHERE THE SPACES ARE
ResearchersintheUSAhavefoundthataproteininthebrainmightexplainwhy
womenaremoretalkativethanmen-threetimesmorechatty,infact.Theresearch
teamattheUniversityofMarylandsaya&languageprotein&thatgoesbythename
ofFoxp2isalotmoreprevalentinwomen'sbrains.Theproteinwasfirstdiscovered
adecadeagoandwasdeemedtobeakeyneurologicalcomponentofspeech.The
scientistssayitisalotmoreabundantingirlsthanboys.Theybelievetheproteinis
thereasonwhygirlsstartspeakingearlierandmorequicklythanboys.Italsosupport
sclaimsthatwomenspeakabout20,000wordsaday,comparedtojust7,000
wordsfortheaverageman.ResearchteamleaderprofessorMargaretMcCarthy
said:&Thisstudyisoneofthefirsttoreportasexdifferenceintheexpressionofa
language-associatedproteininhumansoranimals.&Sheadded:&Thefindings
raisethepossibilitythatsexdifferencesinbrainandbehaviouraremore
[widespread],andestablishedearlierthanpreviously[thought].&Other
scientistshavesaidthereismorethanoneproteinresponsibleforspeechand
thattheresearchisinitsinfancy.ReadersofBritain'sDailyMailnewspaperoffered
someinterestinginsightsintothechattinessofwomen.Onesaidwomenhave
totalkmorebecause,&menarenotgoodlistenersandwomenmustrepeat
themselvestobeheard&.
FREE WRITING
Write about talkativeness for 10 minutes. Comment on your partner's paper.
ACADEMIC WRITING
What are the advantages and disadvantages of being talkative?
1. VOCABULARY EXTENSION: Choose several of the words from the text. Use a dictionary or Google's search field (or another search engine) to build up more associations / collocations of each word.
2. INTERNET: Search the Internet and find out more about talkativeness. Share what you discover with your partner(s) in the next lesson.
3. TALKATIVENESS: Make a poster about talkativeness. Show your work to your classmates in the next lesson. Did you all have similar things?
4. CHATTY: Write a magazine article about the findings of this article. Include imaginary interviews with people who agree and disagree.
Read what you wrote to your classmates in the next lesson. Write down any new words and expressions you hear from your partner(s).
5. WHAT HAPPENED NEXT? Write a newspaper article about the next stage in this news story. Read what you wrote to your classmates in the next lesson. Give each other feedback on your articles.
6. LETTER: Write a letter to a communication expert. Ask him/her three questions about talkativeness. Give him/her three of your opinions on who is more talkative and why. Read your letter to your partner(s) in your next lesson. Your partner(s) will answer your questions.
TRUE / FALSE (p.4)
SYNONYM MATCH (p.4)
goes by the name of
widespread
assertions
associated
established
COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS (p.8)
more abundant in girls than boys
team leader of the research
said there was more than one protein responsible for speech
said it's in its infancy
men are not good listeners
make sure they are heard
MULTIPLE CHOICE - QUIZ (p.9)
ALL OTHER EXERCISES
Please check for yourself by looking at the Article on page 2.
(It's good for your E-)
Help Support This Web Site
Please consider
Sean Banville's Book
Download a sample of my book

我要回帖

更多关于 kill me three times 的文章

随机推荐